Author Topic: Phew  (Read 634 times)

JLR2

Phew
« on: 07 Mar 2021 09:45PM »
That was a near thing for me there, my car is to be MOT'd well it was supposed to be on the third but by the time I noticed it was a bit late for the garage that does my MOT's to book it in, so as I was sitting here thinking of an early night I realised tomorrow's the eighth and I needed to get the car round to the car park opposite the house of the guy who owns the garage and will be doing the MOT.

And so climb into the boots out to the car and start piling all the clutter I could see into the numerous lidl bags and returned the back seating to the normal position for back seating, I usually have the back seat folded down. Then it was a very short drive round a couple of corners and posting the car key through a letter box.

I'll find out later if my lateness in getting the car round (9.30ish pm)  upset them in the house. This putting the car into the car park I mentioned is something I've been asked to do previously along with putting the keys through the letter box. If things work as they have in the past I'll get the car back sometime tomorrow, probably around five or six pm. I saves me an near twenty mile round trip with a bit of a wait whilst the MOT is done. Given the small village where the garage is there really is nothing to do beyond wandering about looking at the scenery, even had we not been going through the current lockdown the village pub is closed during the winter months so I couldn't even pop in there.

I can only hope I've not caused the family a problem or given them any sort of fright as I dropped the keys in their letter box.

JLR2

Re: Phew
« Reply #1 on: 08 Mar 2021 08:36PM »
Update, car returned tonight with no issues and a full MOT.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 09 Mar 2021 07:40PM »
Always such a relief when the car passes its MOT...

Does anything in your life happen without some kind of drama, JLR? :biggrin:

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2021 07:52AM »
I say as long as a bunch of lights did not come one when you dropped off the keys and there was no shouting you are okay. I do get how village life can be though no one wants to have any tradesman saying no next time you want some work doing.

As Kizzy said it is great when the car passes it's MOT. We had forgot all about ours during lockdown so when we came to sell the car we had to sort the MOT in a rush to make sure we got a good price for it. Hmmm it did need two new back tyres and the mechanic had said something about seeing cords in the old ones  :f_yikes:

JLR2

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2021 04:51AM »
Kizzy, perhaps there's no molehill I'll not end up turning into a mountain. My 'drama' as it were was more about my forgetting I had to get the car to the car park and the keys to the guy who'd be doing the MOT and then doing it so late in the evening, especially when I had all day to do this. My posting about all this was more to do with, for one thing, my not having much else to make mention of and, for another, my niggling wee worry that slippages of memory such as about the MOT are happening more often. Certainly I am now all too well aware I can no longer leave the kitchen when I've anything beyond a kettle boiling and even then I have with distraction forgotten I was intending to have a quick mug of coffee.

For today's drama I have been woken up by the noise of something being blown about outside in the strong winds were are experiencing up here just now. I must be a light sleeper as the sounds I heard at first had me wake up thinking perhaps there was more alive in the house than just me, were there mice in the hoose?  So after a wee while sitting up in the darkness of the bedroom and hearing further noises I decided I'd have to get up. On a quick visit to the wee room I realised the likelihood of the noises source as I could hear the racket the wind was making. My worries about there being wildlife in the house I think goes back many years from the days of living in the tenements of Dennistoun, in Glasgow, where the local rats outnumbered the tenants and then when I lived in my first house in the Highlands at Skelbo where I would regularly hear the running of wildlife across the ceiling and saw them myself in the bedroom downstairs one night as I looked to visit the loo.

Another reason for my being sensitive to noises in the house when I'm in me kip is the fact that the house being ground floor make burglary that bit more likely. To be fair the worrying about the house being broken into at night was more of a concern when I lived for a few years in Glasgow's Castlemilk again before moving to the Highlands.

So that's me now been up since about twenty to three so I think it's fair time to be getting a pot of coffee on, there's a long day ahead now as I've some work to be doing in the garden (digging) and later tonight QT on the BBC. Mind you if QT is as poor as it was last week I'll have an early night and dream of my next drama :biggrin: