Forum > News and Current Affairs.

19 July changes - scared

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sunny Clouds:

--- Quote from: JLR2 on 06 Jul 2021 11:20AM ---Javid and Johnson's government are, I believe, trying to return to their herd immunity theory. Johnson as always is simply a wasted space, or in Glasgow parlance, a tube.

--- End quote ---
Herd immunity as they'd like to practise it could perhaps be better expressed as 'regarding lots of people as disposable'?

Johnson and his ilk see most people as being disposable zero-hours robots.  He'll do ok off the back of it, even if he never gets richer, he's had his glory and will have his social network making him feel good for the rest of his life.

It's not, I believe, as good as it could be for an economy, because human 'robots' are cheaper elsewhere. Better to get the best out of everyone, including those Johnson & his mates see as worthless.  But then I'm not running the economy and I never had the courage to be a politician, save for once, many years ago, standing for election as a councillor.  I don't think I'd have been much good.  You need aptitudes I don't have.  So all I can do is moan, share my views, try to survive, try to help others to survive.

Incidentally, my favourite connected bits of research into who can help whom.  The first you probably know, but the second?

It's been found that if you take children into a day centre or care home with people with mild to moderate dementia, it helps the people with dementia enormously.

But it also works in reverse.  An American experiment showed that taking people with mild dementia into a school for children with ADHD, the children improved enormously.

But why would children or people with dementia be productive members of society?

As for me, my story's well-known here.  I used to work, life fell apart, I found myself too badly harassed by the mental health services to cope with paid work as well.  Gradually, I got into voluntary work, then looked after my parents, and now I'm utterly terrified of trying to get into new voluntary work lest the DWP decides that it amounts to a change of circumstances and reassesses everything.  So I suppose in the eyes of Johnson and his mates, they'd be all too glad if I died.  Save costs.

Sunny Clouds:
Sorry, I'm still in long-winded mode.  If anyone's still interested, I'm not offended if you only skim/dip into my posts before responding.  No offence if you're not interested in posting more either.

Fiz:
To be honest unless we close our borders which we never have and never will, herd immunity is the only option for us here whoever is the PM and whatever party is in power and yes there will be casualties unfortunately. 

As for masks, although research has apparently proved medical grade disposable masks provide greater protection than reusable washable masks they haven't explained the variables that could influence the findings. You're supposed to gel your hands thoroughly before you put a mask on your face and again before you remove it. That way if any virus got onto your hands and fingers wherever you were, it was irradicated before it was placed near your airways protecting you considerably. 

How do we know when analysing how effective different masks are unless we know that every person surveyed always gels their hands and fingers both before putting the mask on and before taking it off? 

Also I wonder if people who have bought reusable washable masks use them several times between washes rather than washing them after a single use? That would make a big difference in findings. 

Sunny, I would say that if you gel your hands before putting your mask on and before taking it off, and wash the mask after a single use, it's highly likely that you will be as well protected as anyone wearing a disposable medical grade mask but that's my personal opinion based on the variables that I don't feel can be known by the researchers. 

I'm skeptical about how often reusable masks may be being washed I have to say and I am sure that is a major reason they may not be as effective.

Sunny Clouds:
As I see it, the tests I'd rely on in relation to the effectiveness of face masks are lab tests.

In terms of material, as opposed to fit, there are tests involving seeing how much in the way of water droplets of various sizes can get through at what pressure.  That's a separate issue from my perspective from how effective a mask is based on how it's used.

As for sanitising hands, I wash my hands before leaving the house and if I don't put my mask on straight away, I carry it or put it in my pocket until I get to a busier road, i.e. I won't have touched anything before putting it on.  If my road is busy, I put it on straight away.  (It depends on time of day and day of the week.)

Once the mask is on, I keep it on until I get home unless I'm close to home and the road is clear, when I take it off, and like everything else is triaged when I get in.  I wear separate clothes when going out except for walks at quiet times when I can go in the road or dodge into gateways to engage in the social distancing 'dance'.

I change when I get in.  I scrub the face mask with handwash and leave it to soak in soapy water and rinse later.  I then get on with sorting and cleaning what I've brought home. 

Today I stuck three masks in the washing machine, but I don't usually do that.

There are some advantages to having obsessive compulsive traits when it comes to hygiene.  Pity the same traits are a disadvantage when I'm standing in a supermarket queue...

Fiz:
I'm sure you are as safe as you can be sunny. 

I'm not sure what if any scientific studies on masks were completed. They might just have asked every person who tested positive for Covid what sort of mask they've been wearing and based the results on that. Perhaps we give our country too much credit for seriously fund Ng out what's best for us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version