Forum > Welfare Rights

Who should have a council house?

<< < (2/3) > >>

lankou:
Those who need one. That could be disabled people, essential but poorly paid workers, local people who can't afford the available housing. (If there is any local housing.)

Fiz:

--- Quote from: Cheetarah on 11 Nov 2021 04:08PM ---Do you think I deserve to have council flat?

--- End quote ---

Yes! You definitely do.

It's not about your back story or current circumstances but whether you applied honestly and were granted the tenancy. If you did and were then you definitely deserve your secure home.

If you decide to house someone for the company and you find someone willing to live in your lounge then they'll be expected to contribute towards the rent and your household bills if you claim any benefits for that purpose so if you do then your benefits will be reduced. Also many people (mostly jealous neighbours or relatives) may doubt the person is living in the lounge and you do run the possibility of having unexpected inspections and surveillance if that gets reported which isn't pleasant but if you are not claiming benefits that won't happen as having an extra person in your home breaches no law and is nothing to do with anyone else.

Of course you are deserving though  :f_hug:

Cheetarah:

--- Quote from: Sunny Clouds on 12 Nov 2021 12:31AM ---Another aside...

Not terribly long ago, I said to some neighbours I may have to move from the family home because of how my father's estate is being split up.  I made some comment - I don't remember how I worded it - about how maybe I shouldn't have a whole house to myself.  Nobody agreed with me, and the attitude was summed up by a teenager who demanded to know why I thought I was any less deserving of a house just because I lived alone.

I found myself wondering how I'd fallen into the trap of feeling I needed to justify it. Our housing situation in this country is appalling and unfair and pretty random.  I don't have to justify that.  I didn't feel others had to justify having a home when I was street homeless, I was just grateful to those that helped me in terms of shelter and food.

If you need a home, it's not your fault if there's a shortage of homes others need.  If, in all fairness, you can find somewhere suitable and your home is more suitable for someone else that genuinely needs it, well you may feel willing and able to move.  But often it doesn't work out like that.

--- End quote ---
It's easy to feel guilty when you see other people in need and know what it's like.  What I sometimes forget is a family couldn't move in here because it would be considered overcrowding.

Cheetarah:

--- Quote from: lankou on 12 Nov 2021 09:46AM ---Those who need one. That could be disabled people, essential but poorly paid workers, local people who can't afford the available housing. (If there is any local housing.)

--- End quote ---
Yes, I agree that council houses should be available to people who can't afford any other decent homes. Ideally, it could be like parts of Europe where almost half the population lives in social housing.

Cheetarah:

--- Quote from: Fiz on 12 Nov 2021 01:38PM ---
--- Quote from: Cheetarah on 11 Nov 2021 04:08PM ---Do you think I deserve to have council flat?

--- End quote ---

Yes! You definitely do.

It's not about your back story or current circumstances but whether you applied honestly and were granted the tenancy. If you did and were then you definitely deserve your secure home.

If you decide to house someone for the company and you find someone willing to live in your lounge then they'll be expected to contribute towards the rent and your household bills if you claim any benefits for that purpose so if you do then your benefits will be reduced. Also many people (mostly jealous neighbours or relatives) may doubt the person is living in the lounge and you do run the possibility of having unexpected inspections and surveillance if that gets reported which isn't pleasant but if you are not claiming benefits that won't happen as having an extra person in your home breaches no law and is nothing to do with anyone else.

Of course you are deserving though  :f_hug:

--- End quote ---
Thanks Fizz!  I'll just have to keep the flat tidy just in case of unexpected visits then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version