Forum > News and Current Affairs.

So now it's Javid's turn to fake Covid19 infection

<< < (11/11)

Sunny Clouds:
I also like the idea of a government twit list, but I shall also use a stronger word for twit in my mind and offline.

In all seriousness, though, I've reached the point of believing that most of those in government and their friends have an attitude that if you can't make a profit from someone, or get their vote in constituencies where you need it, they're disposable.

I think of our current rulers thus...

Think of any classical Greek tragedy.

It's a three-part series in which the gods in heaven have a family row and decide to fight it out with a sort of game using humans and demigods as pawns.  They set the mortals against one another, doing nasty things, leading to horrible trauma and death, be it Oedipus who discovered he'd married his mum or Pentheus who's ripped apart by a mob of drunk women.  Then, having caused death, trauma and destruction, the gods make up for a while until the next time they fall out.

In other words, Greek tragedies are like WW1, where the interrelated royals of Europe had a family bust up and three first-cousins, King George, Kaiser Wilhelm and Tsar Nicholas got in a bit of a family row over who owned which land and played it out using mortals as their pawns.  They set the mortals against one another, doing nasty things, leading to horrible trauma and death.  Then, having caused death, trauma and destruction, the royals made up for a while until the next time they fell out.

Hmm.  Modern version?

An elite network of people with political and/or financial power fall out over which of them should get the most power?  Nope, won't work, they're working together, aren't they?  Still, the other bits work.  They set mortals against one another, doing nasty things, leading to horrible trauma and death.  Then, having caused death, trauma and destruction, the powerful people rub their hands and wonder how they're going to get more power.

There's no end to that.

Hmm, but then the classical Greek tragedies didn't end with just one play, and WW1 was just one of a series of wars before and after, including many we don't mention or don't call war. 

On the other hand, let's go back to basics.  We can spread a bit of unity instead of division.  Well, ok, don't expect me not to want to spread division between gods/royals/modern equivalents, but we mortals can try to find ways to fight back against being set against one another.  And no, I'm not as good as I wish I was at that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version