Author Topic: Thatcher dead, I am off to the pub to celebrate.  (Read 10054 times)

lankou

• Access All Areas

dawlishwulf

• Charter Member
  • Bronze Member
rip maggie
« Reply #1 on: 08 Apr 2013 12:57PM »
it has just been on radio 5  mrs thatcher has died.
living in my own world. its ok i know everyone in here.

Pink Campervan

• Bronze Member
Re: rip maggie
« Reply #2 on: 08 Apr 2013 01:04PM »
I for one have been waiting a long time for this day. That bitch made my life a misery in the early 90's trying to work bring up a baby and pay extortionate interest rates on our mortgage which resulted un the loss of our house. Hope she rots in hell.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: rip maggie
« Reply #3 on: 08 Apr 2013 01:20PM »
I wouldn't go as far as that, but I can understand why you feel the way you do if her government's policies had such a direct and horrible impact on your life.

Speaking for myself, although I didn't like what she stood for, I still sort of held a grudging admiration for the way she stuck to her guns - 'the lady is not for turning' and all that, though she did seem very harsh and unyielding over certain issues.  Perhaps if she'd come to power a couple of decades later she wouldn't have felt the need to keep proving herself as a woman PM by digging her heels in like she did?

Yvette

Re: Thatcher dead, I am off to the pub to celebrate.
« Reply #4 on: 08 Apr 2013 01:21PM »
She wasn't shoved in a care home and left to rot as happens to other people her age   >angry<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Re: Thatcher dead, I am off to the pub to celebrate.
« Reply #5 on: 08 Apr 2013 01:28PM »
..'rip maggie' thread in News & Current Affairs now merged with the thread in Talk as the latter was the first one opened.

>edit to alter subject of this message<
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2013 01:32PM by KizzyKazaer »

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 08 Apr 2013 01:37PM »
I will shed no tears for Margaret Thatcher neither will the many people whose lives she and her policies ruined.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Achesnpains

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: 08 Apr 2013 01:48PM »
PIP was being discussed on Radio 2 but the subject appears to have been given the elbow to discuss Mrs T. Not that we are missing much, sounded like the usual guff supported by vitriol on Facebook.

JLRRAC

« Reply #8 on: 08 Apr 2013 01:51PM »
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2013 03:13PM by JLR »

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 08 Apr 2013 02:34PM »
Sticking to your guns when decimating people's lives isn't something to be admired imo. I'm dreading the inevitable constant talk of her for days now.

Yvette

« Reply #10 on: 08 Apr 2013 03:42PM »
My friends who live in the Falklands are glad she sent our forces to regain the Island. 

I personally know two Falkland Islanders with whom I am still in regular contact.

Several years ago I got chatting a woman sitting next to me and discovered she was over here on holiday from the Falklands and she knew my friends very well.

I knew yet another woman from the Falklands - who had previously lived in the UK and I believe she was actually working in the radio station on the night of the invasion.

My ex-husband, to whom I was married at that time, served in the Falklands.  I will never forget that dreadful time.  We had no communication with our menfolk (as there is today with the forces in Afgahan).  All we knew was what was on the news.  No letters, nothing.  No information from our husbands' units.

On the way down, which took several weeks by ship, he told me he was convinced none of them would come back.  He had previously served in N.I. so he was well experienced, but nothing prepares you for fighting like that.

I truly believe my PTSD, which started in my childhood, was severely exacerbated during that time.
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2013 03:48PM by Yvette »

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 08 Apr 2013 03:44PM »
Absolutely right Yvette, she did do somethings right. I think I will need to focus on those things in the coming days to help me cope with the constant talk about her, rather than the major things she did so very badly.

lankou

• Access All Areas
« Reply #12 on: 08 Apr 2013 04:41PM »
Can't believe she's dead - It was only last week she was assessed fit for work by Atos.

She must have got the letter this morning.

myrtlemaid

• Still fighting...well sometimes !
« Reply #13 on: 08 Apr 2013 04:47PM »
Will I be in deep mourning ??? no ...will I be celebrating... again no. 

Her death makes no difference to our lives now... shes not had any power for a long long time and despite their vehement cries and protestations against her the politicians who followed her didnt  do much to fight to change what she initiated... she isnt the only person who should be blamed for the world is now.

We now have a situation where all the major parties seem to think that those who dont/cant work choose that and all want to lamp down on those who are already poorest.. Lets remember it was labour who  introduced these reforms ... the tories and lib dems who have continued them A plague on all their houses !
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 08 Apr 2013 06:22PM »
She made John Nott defence secretary he proposed withdrawing HMS Endurance which encouraged the Argentinians in their view that we would not exert ourselves on behalf of the Falklanders. Prior to the invasion she did not give the Falklands a very high priority

United Kingdom – A total of 255 British servicemen and 3 female Falklands Island civilians were killed during the Falklands War.
Royal Navy – 86 + 2 Hong Kong laundrymen
Royal Marines – 27 (2 officers, 14 NCOs and 11 marines)
Royal Fleet Auxiliary – 4 + 6 Hong Kong sailors
Merchant Navy – 6
British Army – 123 (7 officers, 40 NCOs and 76 privates)
Royal Air Force – 1 (1 officer)
Falklands Islands civilians – 3 women killed by friendly fire

Plus 777 British non-fatal casualties.

Thats getting something right?
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2013 07:18PM by Dic Penderyn »
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour