Author Topic: Thinking of you as Christmas approaches  (Read 290 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
Thinking of you as Christmas approaches
« on: 23 Dec 2022 10:10PM »
I've been finding the run up to Christmas difficult then a penny dropped - the sort of people I'd send cards to or give a present to are the sort of person who'd be understanding if I didn't get it together over it.

I hope that all of you, having whatever difficulties there are for Christmas, also manage to cling onto that reality that if someone was horrid enough to be grumpy about whether we sent them a card or what, if any, present we gave them, they wouldn't expletive matter much to us anyway, unless they're like that out of character because they're mentally impaired or unwell.

Lots of love and hugs and non-prickly mistletoe.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Thinking of you as Christmas approaches
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2022 09:44AM »
This year, I don't think people are too expectant of receiving Christmas cards anyway, with the Royal Snail being on strike for what seems like most of December!

And you're right - anyone who gets narky about it can go pffffft  :f_footinmouth:

Have the best Christmas you can, all my lovely OuchToo peeps  :f_holly: :f_xmaspud: :f_cracker:

lankou

• Access All Areas
« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2022 09:58AM »
We have had a lot of hand delivered through the letterbox Christmas cards, who we have no idea who they are from.

ally

• Access All Areas
« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2022 06:12PM »
We’ve only received half the Christmas cards expected, from relatives, and, friends.  I guess we’ll get them after Christmas, or, the new year.  The hospital apts I’ve received, one was too late, and, had to be re scheduled.  The other for my pre op assessment.  I received with two days to spare.  I’m hoping the actual op date letter, doesn’t arrive too late.  I hope everyone has a decent day tomorrow.  Love to you all  :f_holly: :f_holly:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2022 08:45PM »
I had cards from a different selection of neighbours this year.  We're all very random about it here.  But I've a few cards for neighbours I still haven't delivered.

But I've no family so I can spend part of Christmas Day delivering cards to neighbours.  And if there are any I want to send but do it too late, I may simply write '2023' after the Christmas greeting inside.   

Right now, I feel a bit rough a but only in a sense of mental and physical fatigue.  I went to drop off a card and gifts for a family I know and they invited me in for an hour or so, which I really enjoyed, but it was exhausting because of my rubbish hearing and rubbish social skills.  I then went out of my way to drop off a card and a gift from someone I haven't chatted with for ages but who'd sent a card saying they're struggling.  I popped into a couple of shops then came home and made the mistake of eating a load of biscuits someone had given me.  Doubtless I'll get a sugar crash.

I just laughed at myself.  I've just lifted a mug to my lips and been puzzled for a moment what it is.  Almost all my drinks are black coffee, warm blackcurrent or water, so what was this?  Oh yes, I bought some wine.  I rarely drink, even though I reckon a glass of wine or cider at bedtime would really help me.   Cheers!
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2022 09:35AM »
I am so late to this thread  :big_hugs:

What Sunny said in her opening post is so right. I wish I had read it sooner because I did get tied up in knots over picking cards from my Christmas card pile and writing the sentiments I felt in them. I had to get them done in a rush before Mr Sunshine left for Wales again because he has for so long been the postman for me. Next year I hope to be more organised.

My Aunt reminds me to be kind to myself and this year with no Mr Sunshine here I could have had a tree but that would have entailed using too many spoons so I opted for some very Christmassy flowers from M and wrote myself a nice message to remind myself I am loved.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
To Ouchers especially you you you and you and you, you too and you ...............................

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2022 10:58AM »
Having just received an email I'll characterise as "Thanks for your card, sorry I didn't send one back", it acted for me as perfectly timed reinforcement of what I was telling myself as well as other Ouchers before Christmas but was struggling with myself as I gather up my pile of unused blank cards, and look at my printed out list of whom to send cards to, covered in scribbles and with names with no ticks next to them.  I myself needed the reminder that people who sent me a card would feel as I do if I didn't send a card - pleased they sent a card to someone who needed one.

I meant to send a Happy Christmas email to several people online and didn't.

Hugs, good wishes (or other platitudes of your choice) to all Ouchers.  My thanks to all of you that put up with the humour, often dark or absurd, that I rely on so much as my biggest coping mechanism.  I hope that in 2023 you each find reserve stocks of what you use to help you cope.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2022 01:16PM by Sunny Clouds »

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 01 Jan 2023 08:29AM »
 :big_hugs:

Wishing you Sunny and everyone here a better 2023

:see_attachment:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 01 Jan 2023 10:26PM »
That quote's a new one on me.  I'm about to add it to my little collection of help me through life quotes.

I still have one I wrote down when I was ten and carry around with me. 

Immer wenn du meinst
Es geht nicht mehr
Kommt von Irgendwo
Ein Lichtlein her

Whenever you think you can't go on,
A little light comes from somewhere.

Not many years ago, I heard a song that started as a description of a romance, which isn't really my thing song-wise, but it was the final verse that got to me. I wrote it down and also carry it around with me.

Mε τι καρδιά, με τι πνοή,
 τι πόθους και τι πάθος,
 πήραμε τη ζωή μας· λάθος!
 κι αλλάξαμε ζωή.

With what heart, what breath,
What desires and what passion,
We lived our life - a mistake!
And we changed our lives.

In the Greek it's 'we took our lives' but took like you take an opportunity, not in the English sense of taking a life.

I mentally/emotionally take it as 'We gave life our all.  Well, that went wrong, didn't it?  So we started again.'

For me, a lot of 2022 went wrong, so in 2023, I'm aiming to change my life, to start again.  I hope that those of you who felt that some things went wrong in 2022 will be able to change your lives, to start again.