Author Topic: How to Fill in a PIP Review Form  (Read 2979 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
Re: How to Fill in a PIP Review Form
« Reply #30 on: 28 Sep 2022 10:31PM »
Yes, that makes sense.

That being said, I'm afraid I think the whole issue of intelligence is a messy area anyway, because we keep changing the way we conceptualise it and test it, so I think it's a mixture of what I'll call in my non-technical jargon general intelligence, particular sorts of intelligence, and impact of things like education and life experiences on intelligence.

I to think though, that what we tend to assess and accept as 'intelligence', which I'd characterise as being 'the ability to make sense of IQ tests and school exams and the like' can be very analytical and very problem-solving (in a myriad of ways), so I can see that that could definitely rebound in terms of seeing negatives.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #31 on: 23 Jan 2023 01:06PM »
I've had another text from DWP to say that my PIP reassessment is still being (or hasn't yet?) processed.

This is the longest I've ever had to wait for a decision!

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: 23 Jan 2023 09:38PM »
I hate waiting for decisions.  It's so stressful.

:big_hugs:
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: 24 Jan 2023 09:00AM »
Kizzy and Sunny,

To what you guys are saying about being intelligent and articulate reminded me of how Doctors and other professional people misjudged my Mum because she would often give them as much information about what was going on as possible. I can now see that it made some people assume she was attention seeking or over egging the truth. The situation probably happens less to people who had long professional careers before their illness/disability. That said I do think there is a correlation between how long a person has been sick, disabled and not working, and the degree to which we are listened to.

DD,

I am sorry you are still waiting  :big_hugs:
The reputation the DWP had back when there was DLA was made so much worse when ESA came into play. For me at least it makes it hard to wait on results because I don't trust them to get things right until I see the outcome letter. Do you feel the same about it?

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #34 on: 24 Jan 2023 09:59AM »
You're right sunshine.  I don't trust them to make the right decision.
When I was on DLA I received Higher rate for both components indefinitely.  Since the transfer to PIP with my first award only being for three years and now this reassessment I feel really uncertain about the security of the awards, despite my health deteriorating since my initial DLA claim.

I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling like this though. Previously all my DLA claims sailed through. On the transfer to PIP I had a home assessment. I wonder what will happen this time?

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: 24 Jan 2023 10:42AM »
Mr Sunshine recently had a PIP review and it was over the phone but still no outcome as yet.

He claim was due renewal I think all the way back to 2021 but was postponed due to Covid then in August 2022 the review form was filled in and sent. I think they are way behind trying to catch up the on the cases delayed during Covid and I suspect they have targets to meet that cause ever changing priorities. One good point is that over all that time his PIP payments have dropped into his bank like clockwork.

I dont know whether you remember way back when people first started claiming ESA and a lot of us were put in the work related group left for a few years then reassessed into the Support Group. I think the same thing could be happening with PIP and your next outcome will be a lasting one.

:big_hugs:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: 24 Jan 2023 03:56PM »
I think the government and DWP are in a mess partly because of the pandemic.  During the pandemic, the government had to seem to be looking after pandemic victims properly (even if it wasn't) so they didn't want to be seen to be accusing people claiming benefits for covid, long covid etc. of faking it, although I think they were more concerned not to accidentally call out those employers who, to put it politely, worked the system.

And now?  They don't know what the wotsit they're doing.

I've had my bus pass renewal to sort and pointlessly need a copy of my PIP decision,  even though that's not why I'm entitled to a bus pass - what the authority should actually be asking for is a bit of paper saying I've got bipolar disorder, and since no one has yet come up with a 'cure' for it as opposed to 'treatment' for it, an old letter should do.

I made a point of being nice to the person in the PIP call centre.  They might in reality be nice or horrid.  Whether I'm nice to them is unlikely to affect whether they're nice to me, and if they're horrid, they'll still be horrid, but if they've somehow managed to stay nice, then maybe a little kindness and understanding, including mentioning that I've worked in a call centre albeit we didn't call it a call centre, would help when they're working in a nasty system.

I wish I could offer more than hugs to those of you stuck in this expletive PIP system as opposed to just asking for a computer printout to be put in the post.   

Monic1511

« Reply #37 on: 24 Jan 2023 09:49PM »
PIP renewals are taking longer but wait until 7 days after the date the DWP gave you and then try the dreaded phone call asking for an update. I did this for a new AA claim and was told a decision had been made but the person hadn’t been notified of the decision so now we are going through the appeal process.  Regarding PIP you’d think they’d have less work as Scotland now has its own process as well  :f_steam:

DD I hope you get a resolution soon  :f_peacedove:

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #38 on: 25 Jan 2023 09:55AM »
I'm getting really fed up with how much collateral damage was caused by the pandemic. The government departments are all in a complete shambles, local authorities are still using covid as an excuse for delivering poor service, and the health service is on it's knees.
People are suffering.
Not all of this is attributable to the pandemic and is a result of many years of mismanagement, underfunding, timing of Brexit, World economy,  etc but it all leads to the end result of a system not working.
I don't know the solution to this. Throwing more money at a system that is badly managed isn't going to help. We need more trained staff and better working conditions.
After all, we're not all like Boris with friends who are willing to give us £84k to support our lifestyles!

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: 25 Jan 2023 01:49PM »
(Mostly negative, but a couple of little positives at the end.)

The trouble is that trying to sort it is going to be affected by the general politics of whoever is in government, and that always involves some sort of compromise with others, particularly powerful influences, except when there's tyranny, and even a dictator needs to keep his followers onside.

And how we interpret it will depend on our politics.  I'd describe myself as a 'tactical anti-Tory voter' or 'sort of roughly half way in-between New Labour and Trotskyism'.

So I see what's happening as part of neoliberalism with classic strategies such as Defund, Demoralise, Privatise.  Given that, in my opinion, Tony Blair's government went further in terms of privatising the NHS and making social security for disability and sickness harder to access than Margaret Thatcher did, and based on what Wes Streeting has been saying, I see no reason to suppose that if Labour gets elected next time around, Starmer's government would reverse austerity and privatisation instead of extending them.

And pretty much everywhere on the political spectrum, at every level from international politics down to the family, divide and rule is 'the oldest trick in the book'.  There's a great Spinner's song Kick the Cat, which is all about how you have to know who's above you and who's below, and if you're at the bottom, then you just have to kick the cat.

Thus policies focussed on making benefits harder to get and putting far more resources into that than into catching mulitimillionnaire tax dodgers has, from a politician's perspective, the joint benefit of keeping their donors & backers happy whilst demonising the poor.

Do I despair?  More often than I should, but this much I notice...

Whilst he internet has been used by various political interests to manipulate us, it's also being used to bring people together.  This is particularly happening in healthcare.

I believe there's a very good chance we'll end up with an American-style healthcare system, but also over there are patients' organisations, charities, other interested groups who interact and find more affordable healthcare.

And whilst we shouldn't need charities (I think that what we all too often rely on them for is what 'society' should be providing), if our country is run politically by people driven by profit, then those charities and other non-profit organisations that are genuinely people-motivated, community-motivated can be our alternative.

The other thing I'll say is this.  Just as extremists and dictators take advantage of the despair of ordinary people, sometimes they back off from it.  Example - I believe that the main reason that in the UK (and various other countries) some welfare provision was brought in after WW1 and more after WW2 was a fear by politicians who'd otherwise oppose it, that war-weary veterans could be easily stirred up to revolution.  What happens if the vibe they get when they come home is that it was all wasted, they've come home to a country that doesn't give a toss about them?  Fine if it's just a few, not good when it's millions.

So politicians can and do back down a bit and be a bit nicer without having to actually be nicer.

I get very politically negative and frightened and then remember these glimmers of hope.  I go out of the house and meet people I don't know who are kind and helpful and try to pay it forward.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #40 on: 26 Jan 2023 08:58PM »
What would be really nice is: for those who decide how benefits like PIP are going to be awarded - ie, the policy-makers - to realise that people who have been disabled for decades, possibly since birth/childhood, aren't suddenly going to experience miraculous upturns in health every three bloody years (oh, if only)

Hmmmm, just checked my phone and have received the same text as DD.  I wish it didn't include the sentence "you may still need an assessment with a health professional" - the thing I dread almost as much as a nil decision  :f_erm:   God, I hate relying on benefits, I'd give anything to be able to work and all that, then the DWP could shove their assessments (you-know-where  :f_whistle: )

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #41 on: 26 Jan 2023 10:39PM »
I hate this whole wretched system, but I suppose at least Ouchers have the advantage of being networked in with other disabled people to give us information, encouragement, determination etc.

ally

• Access All Areas
« Reply #42 on: 27 Jan 2023 03:06PM »
Depending on how old the claimants for Pip are, Once you reach State Pension age, the next review is usually a light touch.  That could be a telephone call, or, as my friend discovered recently.  Her PIP award that was up for review, was extended for 10 years by a letter from the DWP.  She had no f to f or forms to fill in.  The reason being, was that she was over  State Pension age

Monic1511

« Reply #43 on: 27 Jan 2023 03:07PM »
Well I’ve finally surrendered and am now on PIP to add to my pension but since I’m in Scotland that’s changing to the Adult Disability Payment.
I helped a friend complete hers last week. It uses the same criteria as Pip but you’re encouraged to complete it online  :f_steam:
My friend spent 90 minutes on hold to request a paper form, she excitedly messaged to say part 1 was completed. :f_doh:  My response was, yes they took your name address national insurance number, date of birth, bank details and gp address.  10 days later she gets an 84 page booklet  :f_bleep:
It took 4 hours to complete it , it has lots of pictures and explains each of the criteria in ways like “do you need a long handled shoehorn to put on your shoes” “do you have 1 leg or 2”

I’m now trying to muster then energy to copy her form and tipped out the answers so that I have an example, no the SSS (Scottish Social Security) won’t provide examples.

The whole system is designed to put us off imo

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #44 on: 27 Jan 2023 04:02PM »
...“do you have 1 leg or 2”
Are they serious????  Strewth.  Sounds like the form-from-hell, Monic, but I'm glad to read that you have actually been granted PIP - do you get a decent amount of time before you have to re-apply for the new ADP?