Author Topic: First fashion show for disabled people in the Dominican Republic<3  (Read 2535 times)

MabelDR

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
As soon as my friend informed me about the fashion show event organized by República Dominicana Fashion Week 2014, for disabled people I felt so happy and so hopeful about the country finally opening its mind and accepting everybody.My friend did great modeling in her wheelchair and she was very happy to be able to express herself thru the runway and show the world that they are just as important as everybody else is.There were several people,different ages with conditions like deaf,blind,down syndrome and homosexuals.I cried when I saw her coming out and she was smiling so comforted:)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
The more this type of thing happens the greater about of freedom disabled people in DR will have  >thumbsup<

A while ago there was a documentary on the BBC about a disabled women who wanted to work in the fashion industry but found working behind the scenes at a fashion show too demanding so she decided to concentrate on her fashion blog. The internet certainly has given young disabled people the ability to see what is and is not fashionable, decide what they like and be able to shop for it in a way that was never available to people my age. It is kind of  >cool<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Why on earth would a fashion show for people with disabilities have models who are homosexuals (but not, from the way I read it, with a disability)??

neurochick

• Diamond member
I'm not aware of homosexuality being a disability!  I don't think homosexual individuals would be very pleased to be considered disabled merely by virtue of their sexual orientation.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
In some countries homosexuals are still treated badly in much the same way disabled people can be. It is not that homosexuals are considered disabled it is just both types of people can find their lives being spent behind closes doors as the society they are in does not accept them.

In countries like Uganda homosexuals are seen as criminals and risk beatings or murder if people 'outside' discover the individuals sexual orientation.

edit to add.

In my opinion most homosexuals are born that way in the same way people can be born disabled. Societies that treat disabled people badly often have poor attitudes to homosexuality, women's rights and also animal welfare. Which does not mean I think the Dominican Republic is that way, I am just trying to explain why disabled and homosexuals ended together like that.
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2014 11:28PM by SunshineMeadows »

MabelDR

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Why on earth would a fashion show for people with disabilities have models who are homosexuals (but not, from the way I read it, with a disability)??
Not sure if my post was clear.It was a fashion show for people who are discriminated and several organizations were participating.Homosexuals are discriminated and not accepted here so they were included on the fashion show along with disabled people.Only educated people with good education level accept homosexuality here but remote/rural areas.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
Thanks for clearing that up, Mabel. I'm glad that the event was a success.  >thumbsup<

MabelDR

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Np.I just forget to explain sometimes cause i focus so much on the grammar and coherence when translating my ideas from english to spanish.

MabelDR

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
My friend Olga participating on the fashion show:)so pretty!

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Love her hair!

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
It looks like you had a good turn out for the show!  Well done,  your friend looks beautiful  >biggrin<

Yvette

Absolutely brilliant!!

MabelDR

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
I'm so proud of her.She went out and rocked it.She told me she was very nervous about all those people's eyes on her all at once and the loud music and clapping but she did it amazing.I saved a couple videos but my hand was shaking a lot cause I was so excited and emotional.This was a huge step in disability.We're following another fashion show coming soon organized by a campaign called "yo me amo" meaning "i love myself"..the creator is a former tv host who was bullied due to her weight gain and she was also pushed a lot during her modeling career which almost took her to an eating disorder but she was never trapped in it,just at risk.I'm so glad to be part of this and to be able to support my friend.I'd do anything to help her and to help those who are often misunderstood and forgotten.I also work as volunteer for an organization to help abandoned pets in the streets and to report missing/stolen dogs.I know things will get better:)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
We're following another fashion show coming soon organized by a campaign called "yo me amo" meaning "i love myself"..the creator is a former tv host who was bullied due to her weight gain

Isn't it sad that women are regarded by some pathetic, shallow persons (both male and female) as somehow less 'worthy' and valuable as human beings just because they have a few more curves on their bodies.  As an ED survivor, I still fight the 'head demon' that tells me to feel bad about myself if the scale shows an extra pound.   But great that this lady is turning it all around into something as positive as this next planned show - keep us posted on how it goes!

I'd do anything to help her and to help those who are often misunderstood and forgotten.I also work as volunteer for an organization to help abandoned pets in the streets and to report missing/stolen dogs.I know things will get better:)

>thumbsup< >thumbsup< I believe that's one of the ways we fight our demons best - by looking at the world outside ourselves and doing what we can, even in a tiny way, to improve it.  One person, one animal at a time.   'Power to your elbow' as we say here in the UK  >biggrin<

MabelDR

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Yeah,it's hard.....I was very sick in 2010 when was diagnosed with anorexia,then bulimia along with anxiety disorder and severe depression.I still struggle around food specially with crowds and big places...but im able to eat fast food again,i just tend to restrict sometimes or not eat enough meals/day.I know I gotta get well specially since i might be going abroad to further studies.I hope I can keep fighting and get stronger.Thank you for sharing Kizzy. >rose<