Author Topic: Support Workers  (Read 3281 times)

nualawatt

• Silver Member
Support Workers
« on: 03 Feb 2014 01:58PM »
 Hello

I have cerebral palsy, a visual impairment, dyspraxia and epilepsy. I have four hours of support three times a week. This is practically helpful as there are some things I cannot do or struggle to do, but it feels likequite a lot for me, as for several years I didn't have any support. Until today I've had two workers doing alternate weeks, which was good because it's quite intense and having time off from each other was helpful.  The workers are M and S, However I'm furious/miserable because the company that organises the care has made a unilateral decision that from now on M will do everything, because she is a contract worker who needs hours and S was doing overtime. M is very difficult to work with. She has a congenital hearing impairment and talks loudly and continuously - I know that sounds like an exaggeration but please believe me it's not. I'm pretty sure she has mild learning difficulties as unless she is given very specific and minute instructions she doesn't retain information and forgets what she has been told, sometimes repeatedly, or does something else. I'm doing a PhD and work from home but she doesn't seem to understand that I need quiet to do this, although I have told her repeatedly. I thought I was quite sociable, but it turns out not all the time, Also because I only have one room in a flat, she is always in my room, which is my personal space. Her husband and daughter phone her several times a day although I have suggested that they do this only in emergencies. Perhaps I could suggest she puts her phone on silent while she is working? I hope I don't sound unpleasant, but I find this situation very stressful, which is ironic.

I am also annoyed because I am on a programme called personalisation, which is meant to work around the service user, but when I explained that I thought it was a good idea to have two workers because it made relations easier they just said they couldn't accommodate me. Very nicely, but also very flatly. Personalisation is only smoke and mirrors. And I will miss S, who doesn't stress me out, and who also works on her own initiative, can be quiet, and makes me laugh. She also cleans efficiently - my sister, whom I live with and who isn't visually impaired, says M doesn't do this.  I hope this isn't a nasty post - I'm just kind of miserable, And quite pissed off with the service provider.
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2014 07:28PM by SunshineMeadows »

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
Re: Support Workers
« Reply #1 on: 03 Feb 2014 03:41PM »
I understand where you're coming from.  I have two pa's that I employ through direct payments and it took me quite a while to find two people I could work with.
Have you thought of using direct payments to employ your own support workers?  It works for me as it enables flexibility and I can employ who I want when I want.
I don't think you are being nasty at all.  It's difficult allowing a person In to your home and getting used to them carrying out tasks for you.  It took me a while to get used to it. 

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 03 Feb 2014 07:31PM »
You say "she doesn't seem to understand". 

You are employing her and you should have someone who does understand your needs.  If the agency cannot accommodate your needs then social services need to be informed.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 03 Feb 2014 07:38PM »
Nuala  >hugs< It must be horrible to feel that you have no control over such a major part of your life. I do believe that the service provider should at least try to accommodate your needs (and, to my mind, they are needs rather than wants).

devine63

« Reply #4 on: 04 Feb 2014 12:08AM »
Hi Nuala

have you told the agency about all of the issues you have mentioned here?  I think if they knew all of that (and it is all legitimate feedback on this worker, you are not being nasty about her at all, just honest, which is necessary) they should reconsider - even if you can't have S back, they should be able to offer you someone else to try.  If they can't / won't you should contact Social Services and ask them to find a different agency which can actually meet your needs.
regards, Deb

Yvette

« Reply #5 on: 05 Feb 2014 09:56AM »
If the agency cannot accommodate your needs then social services need to be informed.

I agree - because the agency are not looking at *your* needs - only the needs of the worker who they say needs more hours.  That is not acceptable.

The purpose of you having help is for your benefit, not the carer's benefit.

You can tell the agency that you are not prepared to have this carer and if they insist you cannot have the carer you prefer you can tell them that you will ask Social Services to find you a new agency.

stalwart

« Reply #6 on: 05 Feb 2014 12:33PM »
I have a sort of similar problem so I know how you feel.
My problem is not so much with a carer as the agency, who think they can change times to suit themselves and even refused to send anyone on a few occasions.
It makes you feel as if you've no control over your life and you can't plan anything.  I even had my hours drastically cut when I complained.

So, I made an official complaint to the head of the department.  I've just had a re-assessment and will find out the result next week.  Although from what the (new) social worker was saying I might not only get my hours back but they may be increased.  Also they will look to change my agency!

So, Complain, Complain and Complain again until they listen. 

Yvette

« Reply #7 on: 05 Feb 2014 01:11PM »
Good for you Stalwart!   >thumbsup<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 05 Feb 2014 06:05PM »
seconded   >hugs<

stalwart

« Reply #9 on: 07 Feb 2014 12:39PM »
Thank you Yvette and aunty  (with a small a) >biggrin< it wasn't easy though.

these are for you....... >flowers for you< >chocolate<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 07 Feb 2014 04:20PM »
Trying to organise other people never is easy, whatever their level of ability.  It does take a strong will to challenge an authority figure.

stalwart

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2014 03:44PM »
Well, I've not only got my hours back but they have been increased!!
And a new agency starts on mon

>biggergrin< >biggergrin< >biggergrin<

Can anyone tell I'm happy >magicfairy< >bliss<

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2014 04:46PM »
Good for you!  >thumbsup<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member