Author Topic: How many Ouchers could chase a thief effectively?  (Read 6501 times)

Yvette

Should someone rip your bag off your shouder or arm, or take your wallet - would you be able to chase them effectively?

I wouldn't be able to - even when using my scooter as many people, including some thieves can run faster than 4mile per hour.  Especially as scooter users must drive slowly whilst in crowds to ensure the safety of pedestrians.

So, out of interest, I wonder exactly how many people using this board would be able to?

So would you be able to chase after a thief effectively?

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: How many Ouchers could chase a thief effectively?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2013 03:52PM »
I would not be able to chase a bag snatcher but then I am not sure anyone disabled or not should give chase after all what can they do when they catch the thief.

Nothing I have in my bad not even sentimental possessions are worth putting my physical self at risk.

That said if a bag snatcher were running towards me I might well put myself and my wheelchair in the way to block and slow their running away then let other people catch the thief.

starsmurf

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2013 04:35PM »
I personally wouldn't be able to chase them but it wouldn't be a problem for me, as I always go shopping with my sister.  She's a police officer and would chase them down, catch them and have read them their rights (and possibly their future - jk -  >lol<) all within a few seconds.

Yvette, I am not trying to dismiss your discussion but having a sister as a police officer makes me feel that I have to add the following to the discussion:

The police strongly recommend that you do not chase a bag snatcher, whatever your level of disability and level of fitness, even if you're a Paralympian.  They may well be desperate, armed and willing to seriously harm or even kill you.  If you caught up with them, they're not just going to hand the bag over.  Most of the criminals my sister deals with aren't "it's a fair cop, guv" types (not saying you think that, Yvette, but others might).  They will think nothing of seriously hurting someone who chases them and wouldn't hold back just because the person is disabled or elderly.

While it wasn't a bag snatch, look at what happened to Graham Buck, who was murdered defending his elderly neighbour during a robbery.  It shows what lengths a robber will go to.  I worked with young offenders and I'd have to say that many of them wouldn't think twice about stabbing someone who tried to chase them and get their bag back.  In their world, you're trying to take it off them.  They see it as "if they're disabled they deserve to get stuff taken off them".  Their world is very much survival of the fittest.

The police also advise that you do not keep items (eg photos) which are irreplacable in your bag or purse/wallet.  If you want to carry a photo around with you, get copies made and keep the original somewhere safe.  That way, should the worst happen or you lose your bag/purse/wallet, you won't have the added heartbreak of losing something that means a lot to you.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2013 04:42PM by starsmurf »
Look carefully at the avatar, note what's barely visible in the gap in the rings.  I've highlighted it for you.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2013 04:51PM »
Very valid points there, Starsmurf - I know I would have to fight my instinct to go after a bag thief as I do happen to be mostly physically capable of giving chase (though whether I'd catch up with them or not would depend on how fast and how far they are going, of course!)

Prevention is better than cure - for years now, I've been just taking a small handbag when I go out with the bare minimum inside it that I need for that particular trip (certainly I'd not be taking every single identity-type card that I own) and I also wear my bag diagonally across my top half so it can't be slipped off the shoulder.  It's important to keep it zipped/clicked closed as well to deter thieving hands from trying to have a dip! 

bubble

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2013 06:03PM »
We need to practice lasooe , no need to chase then,  head em up move em out lol

starsmurf

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2013 06:13PM »
We need to practice lasooe , no need to chase then,  head em up move em out lol

Doesn't lasooing involve a horse >confused<  Then you could just ride them down! >stickhorsey<
Look carefully at the avatar, note what's barely visible in the gap in the rings.  I've highlighted it for you.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2013 07:36PM »
I hope I wouldn't be silly enough to risk my safety by running after my wallet but can't be sure how I'd react.  >erm<

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2013 08:02PM »
Instinct would definitely kick in.  I would want to chase them then remember that I cant run   >doh<.

I also use a bag that goes across my body rather than a handbag type thing.  I use a kipling across the body bag, they are so light and I only bring the bare minimum in the bag.  Nothing sentimental at all, just the usual, debit card, driving licence card, cash oh and hair grips.

So no, I would not be able to chase them, but yes, I would want to chase the bug...s    >biggergrin<

SteveX

• Access All Areas
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2013 08:32PM »
I couldn't chase anyone to be honest.  I doubt they'd slow down and wait for my hobbling along self to catch up :D
Member of POMMAS

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jul 2013 09:08PM »
I always carry my keys separately from my handbag so that at least I don't need to worry about a mugger later trying to break into my house.  I either clip them to my belt or put them in my pocket.

I can still run a bit but hope I would have the sense not to.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2013 10:56PM »
I would give chase but first I'd have to find somewhere to change into my Superman outfit.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2013 07:51AM »
Well, I'm registered blind with seriously nasty tunnel vision, so I probably wouldn't even see the thief, never mind being able to chase them.

I keep my valuables spread out between multiple pockets and my backpack; I almost always wear the backpack with both straps over my shoulders. A pickpocket needs to be in and out very quickly, so they might get one item, but not the rest.

If it were a mugger using threats of violence - possibly backed up with a weapon - they'd get everything anyway, and I certainly wouldn't be chasing them even if I could.

Achesnpains

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2013 08:19AM »
I have never understood the appeal of the bags that go on the back of a wheelchair or scooter seat. I don't think I'd be able to reach it but worry that others could! If I am shopping for food I tend to use a bag that sits on the footplate of my scooter so a potential thief would have to reach past the tiller or my legs to get to anything.  And I am far from skinny.

ally

• Access All Areas
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2013 10:47AM »
If someone ran off with my bag which I wear around my body I'd be up the creek without a paddle to say the least!!  I have to carry my SCS controller around with me at all times.  Its the size of an old fashioned mobile phone, and its not practical to carry it by hand.  If someone went off with that I'd be stuck in the same position until I could get to hospital to see the Sister to adjust my stim, or, switch it off. For example, I need the controller to change position,  if I decide to lie down I have to crank it down or risk being zapped. I've never worried much before about handbag theft, but, I do now.  Also, the replacement controller is very expensive.  I'm going to put  it on the household insurance as Medtronic don't give you replacement controllers unless they're damaged. Where do others on the forum carry their mobile phones etc for safety? Thanks in advance.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 20 Jul 2013 12:39PM »
I would give chase but first I'd have to find somewhere to change into my Superman outfit.

LOL yes must maintain anonymity.

Sherbs,

I have an across the body Kiplin bag too, I guess given the context of this thread it is a good thing I took the 'designer' monkey off because it would make it look like I have something worth stealing.

Achesandpains,

I agree with you there and it reminded me of the times when I was at work and a friendly colleague would unscrew the push handles on the back of the wheelchair  :-(. Mr Sunshine bought me a bag that goes under the wheelchair seat, but I ended up taking it off because of the dust collecting on it as I so rarely go shopping. I find having my Kiplin bag not only keeps my possessions safer but also gives me something to rest on when I am stationary.

Ally,

I keep my mobile phone in a zip compartment in my bag which means it cant fall or be lifted out. I think having the bag across my body puts of snatchers but to be fair it is not something I am concerned about given I dont live in a area where bag snatching or mugging is common.

I am not sure a disabled person in a wheelchair is an easy target when things like moving slow and the criminal act being more obvious to bystanders are taken into account. Pick pockets and misdirection yes but bag snatching more likely in side streets - not usually the best route for a wheelchair anyway.