Author Topic: The Secret Life of the Cat  (Read 9132 times)

DarthVector

• Charter Member
The Secret Life of the Cat
« on: 14 Jun 2013 07:29AM »
There was a Horizon episode on BBC 2 last night about a scientific study that tracked 50 pet cats in a village with GPS, cat cams and fixed-mount wildlife cameras. I'm not a cat servitor myself - I only provide holiday cover when my sister is on leave - but I found it remarkably interesting to see what the cats got up to when no-one was watching. There were even a couple of laugh out loud moments :)

It's on BBC iPlayer here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b02xcvhw/Horizon_20122013_The_Secret_Life_of_the_Cat/

There's a second episode tonight called "Little Cat Diaries" which will be looking more closely at the cats who stood out in the first episode. Here's the iPlayer listing for that one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b02xcng8/Horizon_20122013_Little_Cat_Diaries/

No direct link to disability here, but I've noticed the ongoing comment about the comfort and enjoyment people get from their cats when disability stuff gets particularly problematic, so I thought some of you might enjoy the programme too.

On a related note, does anyone else find that Horizon feels "dumbed down" in comparision to 10 or 20 years ago? I used to be an avid viewer as a 10-15 year old - I remember watching an episode about Voyager 2 in 1986 - but now I get frustrated with what I see as a lack of detail.

The only episodes I watch these days are the ones where the footage seems likely to hold my interest no matter what, although I'm happy to say that I found a lot of the verbal content in the cat episode to be a useful complement to the visuals.

The problem is, I'm not sure if the programme has been simplified, or if I've just outgrown it as an adult engineer with an interest in science, or even both at once. Or maybe I've just turned into a science snob :)

Edited to add the second Horizon cat episode.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2013 08:22AM by DarthVector »

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: The Secret Life of the Cat
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2013 07:55AM »
No it's definitely dumbed down as are many of the popular science programs such as the Nova series these days. Even so I'm going to watch last nights program later.  I do enjoy Through the Wormhole though.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Yvette

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2013 09:18AM »
It was a fabulous programme. Absolutely loved it.  Well done BBC.

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2013 10:29AM »
I'm definitely going to make sure I watch the second one.

lankou

• Access All Areas
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2013 10:35AM »
My neighbours "cat" wanders up to five miles away from home.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2013 05:52PM »
Horizon isn't what it used to be, but 'The Secret Life of Cats' was a fun programme. It didn't really tell me anything new, but was very enjoyable to watch nevertheless. I couldn't help chuckling at the part when opportunistic feeding was discussed. I've witnessed George emerging from other houses licking his lips, and have also come home to find other cats casually helping themselves to George's leftovers.

They really are thieving little so and sos.  >lol<

Fizzbw

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2013 07:07PM »
I enjoyed it as well. I feel most TV programmes are dumbed down these days, or made to what they see as the lowest common denominator. It's a real shame.

Fx

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2013 07:23PM »
Cat cams in my house at the minute would reveal one shot of my lap and two of my bed.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2013 10:27PM »
Oh Mablecat, so you make you pets rough it do you!

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2013 10:33PM »
I am a cruel and heartless cat owner. 

oldtone27

• Access All Areas
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2013 09:08AM »
I think Horizon has dumbed down in recent years, however the program was interesting. It showed why cats are so successful. They are adaptable and enterprising and definitely in charge.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2013 05:19PM »
Did anyone see the follow-up the next night, 'Little Cats Diary'?  There was an interesting experiment that tested whether cats were as emotionally attached to their owners as assumed by the latter..

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: 16 Jun 2013 08:05PM »
I didn't see it but I'm guessing they're not - I'm under no illusions about my two, pretty certain the only reason they're friendlier to me than anyone else is that I feed them and I'm familiar so not a threat!

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: 16 Jun 2013 08:49PM »
I haven't seen the programme yet but I do feel that pet cats do have some real attachment to their people.  The greeting I get when I pick them up at the cattery is just so lovely.  When I was nineteen I went away for six months and my cat really pined for me and when I came back he came straight to me.  Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but I hope not.

SirCumference

• Charter Member
  • On the other side
« Reply #14 on: 16 Jun 2013 11:26PM »
I thought the programme did not contain enough cat footage. The boring owners got more coverage, and they spent too long explaining Mr Animal Tracker's tactics.

Get on with it.