Author Topic: Paralympic Legacy  (Read 1350 times)

AccessOfficer

Paralympic Legacy
« on: 30 Aug 2012 08:51AM »
The article can be read via the following link to the Government Olympic Communication Newsroom

http://goc2012.culture.gov.uk/background/a-paralympic-legacy/

Regards
AO

choirgirl

Re: Paralympic Legacy
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2012 05:36PM »
I don't think anything will change long-term, as in how the public/the media will see us/treat us.  Give it a couple of weeks after the Paralympics have ended and things will have reverted to normal - as in the media will be back to portraying all disabled people as lazy benefit cheats.

Otter

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2012 10:38PM »
to tell you the truth it seems to be getting worse already - keep hearing them being called the parasite olympics and have suffered abuse from people saying that they should not be paying for our games

and as ever act like they expect nothing to happen because of their remarks and as usual they are right

devine63

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2012 10:59PM »
If such remarks are made at work they are contributions to a hostile working environment and could amount to harassment.

So far I have only heard positive responses.
regards, Deb

Prabhakari

« Reply #4 on: 01 Sep 2012 08:00AM »
B.B.C. talking at the moment about how paralympics should be a spectacle of bravery. How people are rapidly losing interest in the paralympics. The fact that the newspapers concentrated on a cyclist this morning, rather than other ways of reporting.

It would seem that any expectation of a positive legacy that will benefit people with disabilities is gone already.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Otter

« Reply #5 on: 01 Sep 2012 11:02AM »
no in the street
male and drunk in all cases, including one who followed me down the street and I had to tell that once the government had taken all disability benefits away which he thought such a great idea, in the concept of equality they were going to take his- he went suddenly quiet after that

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 01 Sep 2012 11:24AM »
Otter  >hugs< , what a horrible thing to happen  :-( . Good come back though  >thumbsup<

Prabhakari

« Reply #7 on: 01 Sep 2012 05:21PM »
Yes, nasty but your response is brilliant.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.