Author Topic: Joint degeneration  (Read 8516 times)

Prabhakari

Joint degeneration
« on: 13 Aug 2012 08:10PM »
I wondered if anyone has any advice on this.
We have to use our arms and hands.
I have been struggling with pain in both hands, and a bad pain in the left shoulder.

It has rapidly been getting worse, and at this moment is . . . a pain.

I do not intend going to the doctor.
The only painkiller left is straight morphine, which I definitely do not want. Co-codamol is bad enough.
So, can anyone suggest a way of treating the joints that do not involve asking a doctor?

I am trying Ibuleve gel just now.
A treatment which worked quite well for short periods was from Seven Seas: Comfrelieve cream.
My chemist stopped selling it.

With metta, Prabhakari.   >wheelchair<
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

devine63

Re: Joint degeneration
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2012 08:29PM »
Hi Prab

it depends what is causing the pain - if it is inflammation (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis ) then you may need an anti-inflammatory drug rather than a pain killer - so it really would be best to go to the doctor and see what he suggests.
regards, Deb

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2012 08:40PM »
Prab

If it is a joint pain, then you can buy ibuprofen over the counter at a chemist.

Another remedy would be to apply cold ice-packs, you could try the old frozen pea trick, or other such like packets of frozen veg that you may have in your freezer.

Or even warmth may help.  I use a Wheat Bag that you can buy in some chemists or on the internet, where by you just pop the Wheat Bag into the microwave for around 2 minutes.  i do find that having the heat on my back does help, and i even warm a Wheat Bag up and bring to bed with me, to lie it agains the achey joint, which in my case is my back.

I hope some of the above suggestions help

>hugs<

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2012 08:43PM »
The comfrelieve cream is a herbal remedy containing comfrey. It seems to be out of stock online, but other types of comfrey cream are available and you could buy it online rather than needing a trip to the pharmacy.

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2012 08:49PM »
Prabs

Just thought of something else, apparently Bio-freeze is supposed to be good for joint inflammation / pain.  I have not used it myself, but i remember reading somewhere that is was a good alternative to drugs.  I am sure you can get it on-line.

Prabhakari

« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2012 09:00PM »
It is degeneration of the hyaline cartilage.
I have got tens, but I cannot put the pads on my back.
A friend sent me different things that can be heated in the microwave.
My favourite is a brown bear, dressed in a white jacket, wearing a red tie, a stethoscope in one pocket and a badge that says 'Doctor'. I call him Bodhi Bear.
I also have a white little dog, with floppy ears. It too has an inner wheat bag that is washable.

I am not able to go to a spiritual healing group.
Acupuncture treatment is costly and out of reach.

Ibuprufen tablets I know about, but they do not help, except as a possible placebo effect. When the pain is bad, they are useless.

I do like the thought of finding Comfrey cream online. It helps for up to fifteen minutes, but there is a warning on it, not to use it for long periods.

My problem is not an inflammation but a breakdown of the bone.

Thanks for the suggestions, so far. I am hoping that there might be something I had not heard about.

Be peace, Prabhakari..   >bighugs<

Prabhakari

« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2012 09:05PM »
I have got some Biofreeze.
Something else the chemist has ceased to sell.
It is quite good, actually.
I have benefited from it.

Beware: The gel is Very Slippery.

I am also trying Deep Relief. That has got Ibuprofen as well.

Radian B is also quite effective, but is another product they have stopped selling.

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2012 09:41PM »
Prabs

Such a shame that you cannot get your tens pads on, i use my tens daily up to 10 hours per day, it really does help with my lower back pain, but can be used at most sites on the body, knees, elbows, etc. just not near the heart!! anywhere you can stick the pads on then it will help.

i would be lost without mine, i have 2 at home, and 1 spare at work.  I am going to get another one soon, as i have had the 2 for 10yrs or more.  i will be trying a digital one this time.

Just wish you could get someone to stick the pads on for you, then you may get some benefit, but of course it does not help everyone.

Would you be ale to manage to get to the Chemist's and then the assistant or pharmacist would be able to place the tens pads on the site required `??

Becca7

« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2012 09:51PM »
I miss my TENs, i cant have it anymore due to triggering seizures, a pain on many levels! Have you tried heat packs? I find using cold and heat can help. I cant cope with wheat things anymore (too heavy) but have air activated charcoal ones called thermacare v expensive but i cant manage withnut, they arent on prescription.

Prabhakari

« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2012 10:14PM »
I have got heat packs as well.
If only they could retain their heat for longer.
Mine contain a gel, and while hot work very well.

Tens is not simple. My skin does not like the pads and they soon cause irritation. I was given a cream to help with this.

The joint problem is getting worse, so I am just looking for ways to adapt.
It is highly unlikely that there is an easy answer.
My joints do not show the usual signs of inflammation. There is no obvious indication of a problem, which is why 'friends' do not understand why I am unable to do things.
Such is life   >biggergrin<

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2012 10:22PM »
Up to a certain point, arthritic joints can be helped by gentle exercise because this stimulates release of synovial fluid into the joint which lubricates it, but I don't know whether yours have gone past that point.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Prabhakari

« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2012 01:24AM »
The disease is not the same as arthritis. It is a breakdown of the hard blue cartilage on the end of the bones. There is no sign of inflammation at all. My hands are effected in the same way, but there is no swelling, no redness, no heat, no stiffness in the way that arthritis attacks the joints. I have freedom of movement.
I get severe pain if I try to do anything.
My muscles lose all their strength and I get bad shaking.

I get pain everywhere. Just now, the shin on my left leg suddenly started throbbing with pain.
Many times, I have been to the dentist because of pain in teeth, only to be told that there is nothing wrong.

It is somewhat frustrating as there does not seem to be any solution. I take Carbamazepine, and this drug is vital. The symptoms are so severe without the drug that I could not bear to keep living. It is one reason I am so grateful for the N.H.S.
How on earth do people cope in America?

Weakness has made me very clumsy. I bet that this is a common experience. One tries to get something, but weakness causes the arms to droop and things get pulled and knocked to the floor.

It has helped me to be able to talk about it. I do not know anyone who understands outside Ouch.
Ouch is a great Blessing.

Be peace, Prabhakari.   >wheelchair<

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2012 10:58AM »
Another remedy would be to apply cold ice-packs, you could try the old frozen pea trick, or other such like packets of frozen veg that you may have in your freezer.

Safety note: if you use frozen veg as an ice pack, wrap the packet of veg in a towel first, or you're liable to find that it freezes directly onto the skin. That can be very painful to get off again, and it may well do damage along the lines of a "freeze burn".

Prabhakari

« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2012 11:08AM »
Well said, Darth Vector.

Ice packs should be inside something to prevent damage and harm that the ice can cause.
I prefer using freezing gels.
So far I am not allergic to the ones I have tried.

Horrible pain on the sternum early in morning. Had to go back to bed.
The pain does enjoy travelling to different places.   >biggrin<

devine63

« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2012 11:38AM »
Hi Prab

have the doctors not been able to identify anything to slow or even reverse the bone degeneration?  That must be very difficult to cope with.
The muscle weakness could be caused by something different.  e.g. You have mentioned before that your diet is rather limited, I wonder if it is possible you have a deficiency of one or more  of the essential vitamins and minerals?  From memory I think some deficiencies result in muscle weakness.

regards, Deb

PS if anyone is using frozen veg as an ice pack, please don't refreeze and eat them!