Author Topic: Accessibility of job centres  (Read 1874 times)

hossylass

Accessibility of job centres
« on: 09 Mar 2012 01:44PM »
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2012-03-08a.98478.h&s=disability#g98478.r0

Richard Fuller: (Bedford, Conservative);

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions how many Jobcentre Plus buildings in the East of England are (a) fully, (b) partially and (c) not accessible to disabled people.

Chris Grayling: (Minister of State (Employment), Work and Pensions; Epsom and Ewell, Conservative);

There are 54 Jobcentre Plus buildings in the East of England which are open to the public. They are all fully accessible to disabled people.

Really? not what we have heard.

You can go to the link  and annotate it if you know different ;)

Sofie

Re: Accessibility of job centres
« Reply #1 on: 09 Mar 2012 02:22PM »
And his definition of "accessible" is what? To me, it's not standing in line for long or sitting waiting to be seen for long periods.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 09 Mar 2012 03:22PM »
Fully accessible to all disabled people?  He obviously didn't understand the question!
Fully accessible to all would have to include different rooms, some with dimmed lighting, others with bright light, hearing loops available everywhere, staff available who can communicate effectively with people who are deaf, including BSL users, all paperwork easily to hand in large print, standard print, different colours, easy-read & braille, several different kinds of  seating, quiet areas for those who can't deal with noise or crowds, people encouraged to bring support workers with them who are not excluded from any conversations... 
There must be lots of other stuff I've missed out, but Grayling probably thinks a ramp at the front door covers all possible access needs.

Sofie

« Reply #3 on: 09 Mar 2012 04:00PM »
Exactly, seegee. Most people see accessible and just think a few ramps. I'm lucky that there are no steps to get into my local job centre and that the doors are automatic.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 09 Mar 2012 04:12PM »
They are, no doubt, all fully accessible to some disabled people...  >lol<

Becca7

« Reply #5 on: 09 Mar 2012 04:38PM »
My jcp is 'accessible'. Except it is on a traffic island. With no parking. And a steep kerb into it. And a DEA up two flights of stairs, which is accessible via tiny lift (im not a wheelie but im willing to bet if you got in you would get stuck) except you cant use the lift anymore because of fire risk (part of the building was sold to fast food chain). But apparently it is accessible despite those issues. The Atos place is 'accessible' too. My MP insists it's accessible to the disabled so it must be. He is right the step outside was removed 12 years ago but erm what about the rest? Question ignored.

SirCumference

• Charter Member
  • On the other side
« Reply #6 on: 09 Mar 2012 11:56PM »
My legal case against a JC+ for poor access is ongoing.

Thank you for drawing my attention to this.

hossylass

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2012 12:17AM »
Ah yes, it was you I had in mind when I saw it - debated sending you a pm, then put it in the cafe... blah, blah.

Anyhow, because of you I knew it was another big fat tory lie.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2012 01:10AM »
The public area at the front of mine is tiny and crammed full of people and prams and the like.  You have to stand to queue!!  Last time I went in I just queue-jumped and spoke to a security person as I could not stand for long enough to see a reception person. 

This area is therefore too noisy, grubby and the place where you sit and talk to an advisor over the phone gives no elbow room or much space to write.  But it does have a ramp up to the front door.  So it must be accessible then, I suppose.