Author Topic: Straight in...  (Read 8232 times)

Jockice

• Charter Member
Straight in...
« on: 13 Jan 2012 01:15PM »
Well, I certainly wasn't expecting this.

For those who aren't aware of my situation, I had worked for the same firm for a quarter of a century - since leaving school in fact - until I was made redundant last summer. I went onto JobSeekers Allowance for a few weeks until it was suggested strongly to me that I should apply for ESA. So I did and was placed in the interim group prior to assessment, filling in the form about my symptoms etc and waiting for the feared ATOS tests. I wasn't looking forward to that.

This morning I received a brown envelope and fearfully opened it - only to find that I've been put straight into the support group, complete with the increase in money and all. Looks like I don't have to see anyone or tell a disinterested stranger with a vague medical background that yes I do enjoy watching TV, but have to do most of it lying on my back.

Most of me is relieved - it's a bit of a weight off my mind - but I must admit part of me is going: "What the (rude word)? Am I that disabled?" Like when I first applied for DLA, entirely due to pressure from my parents, I did it very grudgingly wanting and expecting to be turned down so it would shut them up - and got a lifetime award.

Of course, now that I'm sorted I don't have to bother with all this campaigning lark. So it's a goodbye from me to Ouch Too and the Spartacus Report. And if you believe that....

pennycillin

Re: Straight in...
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2012 01:22PM »
lol i was wondering about your claim.. so you filled in an esa5o?

i havent even got to that stage yet. iv only just got it in payment (im not complaining btw)

thats kinda congrats but kinda eugh...

Pleased for you, really pleased for you.

lets hope i dont get a brown envelope anytime soon. i dont think i need that right now..

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2012 01:29PM »
Yeah Penny, I just filled in the ESA50 and that was that. They did ask for a second sick note from my doctor, claiming that the first one was for only three months (it wasn't, it was definitely for six months) but apart from that I heard no more until now.

Best of luck to you too. And everyone.

hossylass

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2012 01:37PM »
Yeah, you ARE that disabled me old chum. ;)

I have the same problem, Kaliya keeps telling me that I am massively EDS and hypermobile and one of the worst.

We are in denial :(

But yeah, stop campaigning right now, cos you're alright.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2012 01:41PM »
"But yeah, stop campaigning right now, cos you're alright."

I heart Chris Grayling!

pennycillin

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2012 01:51PM »
ironically if you said you might go work for the mail we might believe you...

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2012 01:53PM »
Broken Britain. That's what it is.

lankou

• Access All Areas
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2012 02:02PM »
Yeah, you ARE that disabled me old chum. ;)

Quite, I am tempted to ask how Jockice is operating a computer.

hossylass

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2012 02:05PM »
Quite, I am tempted to ask how Jockice is operating a computer.

One painful finger at a time I suspect !

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2012 02:08PM »
Nah, by sheer willpower and pluck. Now if you excuse me I'm popping out to buy some champagne and cigars...

(PS, I can totally take or leave champers and I absolutely loathe cigars, but as a born-again Tory I feel obliged to.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2012 02:09PM »
Most of me is relieved - it's a bit of a weight off my mind - but I must admit part of me is going: "What the (rude word)? Am I that disabled?"

Yeah, I went through all that when I was awarded DLA HRC... You do get over it  ;-)

Nice one, mate  >thumbsup<

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2012 03:39PM »
When it comes to DLA, I know the feeling too - the DWP put me straight onto an award "for an indefinite period", gave me a higher rate than I had expected, and did it all in three weeks flat. I think my NHS consultant must have told them he was preparing to register me blind before he suggested it to me (everything was happening at once at the time).

I found myself sitting in a state of shell-shock wondering what had just happened, until my consultant sent me his final analysis (and I got the sensory rehabilitation centre to explain it to me). I did get over it in the end, though.

There are still good people at the DWP; I'm glad you found one.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2012 05:16PM »
Well, I certainly wasn't expecting this. ---
This morning I received a brown envelope and fearfully opened it - only to find that I've been put straight into the support group, complete with the increase in money and all.
Of course, now that I'm sorted I don't have to bother with all this campaigning lark. So it's a goodbye from me to Ouch Too and the Spartacus Report.
>lol< >lol<

Glad to hear they got it right. >thumbsup< >biggrin<

Sofie

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2012 05:18PM »
congratulations. At least you don't have to worry about appealing, etc.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2012 05:19PM »
It is great to hear that you got into the support group without having to go through the medical-> refusal-> appeal business  >thumbsup<