Author Topic: Housekeeping- Talk to News  (Read 8257 times)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Housekeeping- Talk to News
« on: 12 Jan 2012 09:24PM »
I have been poorly and overwhelmed this past week and so have not been posting much but I have been reading what I can.

It is fantastic to see campaigning request and actions happening, and all the activate around the news  >bighugs< >thumbsup< well done everyone. I hope I will be able to become more involved and help the rest of you keep the momentum going. In line with this I have the News, Current Affairs and Campaigning board at the top of the list and over time I am going to move some (not all) of the relevant threads to that board. This does not mean people can no longer make posts on news, politics, current affairs or campaigning on the Talk board you still can, but what I would like to see happening is people making more use of the News board. Currently people post more in Talk because everyone is using that as their main board so rather than make any rules or have people getting snippy with what is or is not allowed I am asking people to trust me, Hossy and Kizzy to continue to manage the board as fairly as we can.
Sunshine :-)

pennycillin

Re: Housekeeping- Talk to News
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2012 09:36PM »
Can I move to have a campaigning board open please?

I would love love love to see more people getting involved in disability campaigning and in fact I think if we had a specific board it might mean some of the people on twitter join up here so they can discuss. I know spartcusreport has had a facebook and proboards set up, but if we offeredthem a home here..

Please can we have a campaigning board...

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2012 09:38PM »
I must admit, it would be nice to see things categorised more, rather than defaulting to the Talk board. I read more slowly (and with more errors) than I used to, so I really like the idea of being able to prioritise.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2012 09:47PM »
Cilli,

As of a few minutes ago we have a News and Campaigning Board, I did not make a separate board for Campaigning but will do so if needs be. :-) I try not to add new boards unless I know they will be used because of what has happened with the carers family and Friends board.

Darth,

There will still be cross pollination between Talk and News and Campaigning eg I have just stickied a Spartacus thread in Talk, but encouraging the use of the different boards whould make it easier to keep up with what is going on :-)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2012 09:52PM »
Here is a link to the board index http://ouchtoo.org/index.php, the page also contains other information about how well the board is doing.

pennycillin

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2012 10:10PM »
im not well myself, iv been sick since august. This is our lives we are fighting for. its not just news and current affairs...

when people wake up and realise that on here it might be too late.

last night we won a major victory, tonight we are getting prime time coverage.

This is MAJOR stuff, its not just "news"

hossylass

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2012 10:21PM »
Can I just ask, has there been a complaint about the campaign taking over the board by any chance?

These reforms are a once in a decade chance for us to make change, these few days will be looked back on in the same way as those who chained themselves to the gates of Downing Street.

Quite frankly I have struggled for years to become educated in the constantly changing rules, the changing benefits etc and not just because I need the benefits but because OTHER people need these benefits.

This is history in the making for disability activism - it IS what everyone is talking about.

And yes we can still find time for people who are desperate, even though we are busy - individuals who are desperate are the priority. if we are busy on a seperate board we may not see it.

Let those who are not busy have a wander round the boards - quite frankly I haven't got time to shit, let alone look for all the work I have put in during the last few days.

Now is not the time to fanny about, or for people to indulge themselves in a whinge fest, we have a bloody government to fight, or has that slipped past some people?

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2012 11:47PM »
Hossy,

Yes there was a complaint but that does not mean my housekeeping decision is a reaction to just that.

Had I seen the Spartacus report coming I might have created a Campaigning Board and asked people to publicise its existence to take the opportunity to bring more people together and show 'newbies' who have never used a message board what a messageboard can be like. This thinking meant when I got the complaint I realised I need to do something 'hard' now with attention to times ahead when I hope and expect Ouch Too to grow. I deliberately moved the News Campaigning board to the top of the list to give it a higher profile. I intend for the majority of people to go there first and see what is happening at what they can do, then for them to look at Talk and the Cafe etc. I know the people not interesting in campaigning or news will ignore that board but we cant make people want to or be able to join in.

Maybe my reading of the atomosphere is wrong but my expectation is that once people read this thread and see the other board being used more they will follow their threads and the other threads over.

I deliberately left some thread on the Talk board that are News Campaigning type topics so as not to divide the Ouch Too community.

From the get go I wanted Ouch Too to do more and this means there has to be space for allsorts or wants and needs.

That being said I am now worried that me wanting to get more out of Ouch Too is never going to work because I cant get the balance.

I am sorry you are upset frustrated and likely pissed off. I hope the housekeeping is successful.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2012 11:56PM »
I am going to move everything back and let people decide for themselves.

Give me 30 min to do it and then if a member wants a thread they started to be moved I will do it for them.

Sorry for the hassle.

I just did not want to have a fraught discussion about it, and thought it would be o kay for me to make the descision.

hossylass

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2012 12:13AM »
Thanks.

Many people are watching, popping in, using the links, using the lists.

They need to be able to find them.

We can happily move them next week, after the DLA to PIP debate with my best wishes and full support - I just think that we need the maximum exposure on the most important thing likely to happen to benefits that affect us.

I can only speak for myself here, but I cant cope with change when I am so busy. I am sure others would struggle too.

I am sorry if people cannot deal with the campaigning, but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, just for another 5 days....

And I am sorry I couldn't give any advance notice, neither did Loopy_S !!! >lol<

Phase 2 starts tomorrow, and then yes, after that can we make our emotional home in News and Campaigns ?

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2012 04:48PM »
Okay so how long is phase 2 expected to take? I just need to know so I can plan a date for reorganising.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2012 10:41PM »
A bit off-topic, but I wrote to Charlie C of Spartacus earlier today wondering why she started a new discussion board and did not just ask for a separate area here.  When I checked, the only people on her new one were from here anyway. 

And I do not have the time or spoons to go checking another discussion site.  But I do not want to be left out of knowing what is going on.  We're all part of the spoons army after all.

I hope that was OK sunshine.  Could you contact her and invite her to do this, maybe?

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2012 10:54PM »
I dont mind people starting a new message board but I am begining to wonder ' Do my feet smell?'.

If Charlie wants to have an area on Ouch Too I can easily set it up and I can even give them moderation level access so if my ' feet do smell' then they can keep me over here on the other areas of Ouch Too.

Just to make sure I get the right Charlie could you get her email address to me and I will send a message tomorrow.

Maybe I should get a copy of my CV sorted.
;-)

pennycillin

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2012 11:04PM »
thats what i was gettingat with my post.

that exact thing auntie.

i was told aparantly it would be too "unpopular" baahhh

pennycillin

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2012 11:07PM »
the reason why we set up a new board and a fb group was because people kept hitting reply all,and sometimes 140 characters isnt enough to chat.

as i said in post a few days ago. if we had a campagining board you would attract a whole new breed of oucher...

but you disagreed...