Author Topic: Pretending to be deaf and begging scam, police alert  (Read 3077 times)

lankou

• Access All Areas
I have just got this message on the local police community messaging service, we get a similar one every year close to Christmas:-
This message relates to Police log 468 05 December 2011.

Further to our messages sent in June 2011, we have receieved recent reports of cold callers calling on residents in Cornwall producing a card stating they are deaf and mute and asking for money or selling pictures to raise money for an operation.

This is a scam. Please do not buy goods or offer money and contact us as soon as possible

ilovepinkandpurple

Re: Pretending to be deaf and begging scam, police alert
« Reply #1 on: 06 Dec 2011 10:34AM »
Thats silly of them everybody would know that you get a operation free on the NHS >doh<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 06 Dec 2011 12:18PM »
Thank you for flagging this up.

I get really annoyed aboutt cold callers and usually shut the door as soon as they start trying to sell me something. Mr Sunshine tends to stand and listen to them and then say no thank you, but there has been a few times he nearly switch our electricity supplier or bought cleaning cloths. To which my response is  >steam< dont encourage them.

If I want to give to a charity I wont be doing it on a doorstep to a cold caller.

Sofie

« Reply #3 on: 06 Dec 2011 06:50PM »
If I want to give to a charity I wont be doing it on a doorstep to a cold caller.

Same here. I will also never give money to a beggar. I will donate money to a charity of my choice. At least I know that the charity is getting the money.

suessad

« Reply #4 on: 06 Dec 2011 07:00PM »
Thanks for the warning lankou.

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 06 Dec 2011 07:57PM »
I have just got this message on the local police community messaging service, we get a similar one every year close to Christmas:-
This message relates to Police log 468 05 December 2011.

Further to our messages sent in June 2011, we have receieved recent reports of cold callers calling on residents in Cornwall producing a card stating they are deaf and mute and asking for money or selling pictures to raise money for an operation.

This is a scam. Please do not buy goods or offer money and contact us as soon as possible

Off topic slightly but I didn't realise you were another Cornish poster, I live in SE Cornwall thought I am not Cornish.

Yvette

« Reply #6 on: 06 Dec 2011 10:41PM »
I had a sign on my door - a red hand, above which it said no cold callers, sales people.

But two weeks running I had to get up out of my chair and hobble (in pain) to the door to charity collectors.  When I asked them if they were unable to read the sign, they both said they were collecting for charity.

I have now printed and laminated an A4  sign of my own which has worked a treat!

Warning - sorry for capital letters in the following paragraph - if you have a screen reader or have problems reading capital letters, *please* do not read any further.

Warning - Warning - Warning - Warning - Warning - capital letters follow:

*SERIOUS WARNING!*

NO COLD CALLERS
NO SALESPEOPLE
NO CANVASSERS
NO CHARITY COLLECTORS
NO RELIGIOUS BODIES

Ringing this bell will make me very angry!!

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 07 Dec 2011 01:26AM »
"Ringing this bell will make me very angry!!"

Oooo, I'm quaking in my boots already, Yvette.  I think that you can be jolly frightening when you want to be.

lankou

• Access All Areas
« Reply #8 on: 07 Dec 2011 09:08AM »
"Ringing this bell will make me very angry!!"

Oooo, I'm quaking in my boots already, Yvette.  I think that you can be jolly frightening when you want to be.