Author Topic: Sorry, Need help with a benefits question.  (Read 3647 times)

amonrosier

• Bronze Member
Sorry, Need help with a benefits question.
« on: 30 Nov 2011 09:38PM »
I am a full time carer for my mum. Today I received an income support review form to fill in. Does this mean I will be moving onto ESA? It says on the form that I may be asked to speak to a job advisor. Is this compulsory? I am a full time Carer, and I will not have time to work ?

I also get two high rates on Disability, and I am very unwell, and very unable to cope with the Jobcentre. I'm not interested in the money, in fact, most times I regret applying for DLA. I was seen by an Atos Doctor though and he gave me the award. I am just not able to cope with forced work at this time.

I would have posted this question in the carer section, but no one seems to be getting an answer there.

Sofie

Re: Sorry, Need help with a benefits question.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2011 10:18PM »
What does it say on the form, please?

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2011 10:23PM »
Hi and welcome to Ouch,
I am not a benefits expert but here is my opinion.
Firstly, I don't think being a full time carer has a bearing on whether or not you are expected to work, unless the DWP were to say that the care you were giving meant it proved you were able to work.
You mention having see a ESA doctor, was this recently and have you heard the outcome yet? If you have been put in either the WRAG or the Support Group of ESA you wont be forced to work, but in the WRAG you are expected to go for interviews with an advisor at the Jobcentre.
In my opinion the Income Support review form will have to do with you income and home much Income Support you are entitled to. If you have no other income eg no pension or a working partner, have been 'signed off sick' then I would have thought you level of Income Support will continue.

Sofie

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2011 10:39PM »
Do you receive carers allowance?

amonrosier

• Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2011 10:45PM »
Thank you both for your responses. 

The form was called Review Claim Form A2. It is basically if not the exact form you fill in when first claiming income support. Yes, most of the questions on the form seem to generally be about how many people live with you, what other benefits you get, are you an asylum seeker etc....

The only part that phased me was the pull off part that you keep for your own information. It reads you may be asked to attend a work focused interview with an Employment Service Advisor.

It has been 18 months since seeing the Atos Doctor. He awarded me the two components of DLA, both at high rate for life. No one believes me on this point, but my award letter does not state indefinite, it really does state life.

I read the government website and I cannot see anything that suggests I would have to work, if I was a carer. Yes, it is obvious they want carers to go back to work, and they are offering assistance, but a full time carer must care 35 hours a week.

I am just frightened, I am very ill, and also being treated for prostate cancer, among many many other things, and the thought of going to interviews at the Jobcentre is worse than the thought of major surgery. Call me workshy if need be, because years of living in desperation can make you just that.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2011 10:54PM by amonrosier »

amonrosier

• Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2011 10:46PM »
yes, I receive carers allowance.

Sofie

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2011 10:52PM »
I think the review form is just that - to ensure your circumstances haven't changed.

pennycillin

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2011 11:06PM »
hiya

just some reassurance.

http://www.disabilityalliance.org/f45.htm

that situation wont change.

the only thing about having a work focused interview at the jobcentre and the mention of ESA is so they can say you 'jumped through some hoops' as it were.

and they are just reviewing your circumstances...

amonrosier

• Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2011 11:07PM »
Thank you everyone. What a wonderful site, trying to get information about benefits in my community is impossible. Sofie, I was really hoping someone would give me that answer......I am worrier extraordinaire.

JLRRAC

« Reply #9 on: 01 Dec 2011 04:38PM »
" I was seen by an Atos Doctor though and he gave me the award. "

I thought it was only through DWP decision makers that decisions were made, am I wrong/mistaken?

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 01 Dec 2011 06:12PM »
" I was seen by an Atos Doctor though and he gave me the award. "

I thought it was only through DWP decision makers that decisions were made, am I wrong/mistaken?

You are correct, the DWP Decision Maker  decides the award, using the ATOS medical as one tool in that process.

Monic1511

• Access All Areas
« Reply #11 on: 01 Dec 2011 07:19PM »
Anonrosier
As the others have said
The DWP are just checking to make sure you don't have £6K of savings, you will still be entitled to income support since carers is just £55.55, the Income support is the top up benefit.

The bit you keep for yourself is a standard information speel sent to everyone and only certain bits are relevant to you.
best wishes
Monic

amonrosier

• Bronze Member
« Reply #12 on: 03 Dec 2011 04:38AM »
Sorry JLLRAC,

I didn't want to get involved with semantics, but yes the DWP decision maker gave me the award on evidence provided by myself, my GP's Factual report, my Hospital Reports from Consultants and finally the Atos Doctor. I tend to say the Atos Doctor gave me the award, because it seems to me his report was the most important, but I could be wrong.

Thanks again to everyone.

JLRRAC

« Reply #13 on: 03 Dec 2011 02:30PM »
Amonrosier, nae need tae bein' sorry like you I tend to think the Atos assessment was the deciding factor in the DM's verdict. I felt this because the way the government have sought to confuse and sheild those responsible for what in many cases are life changing decisions has been to tell the country at large that those being found fit to work have been found fit to work following more stringent medical assessments.

The government have also explained that their JC+ decision makers are not medically trained or qualified and this is why they (the Govt) have engaged Atos Origin to provide proper medical advice. Problem with all this is, where a claimant for disability benefits appeals against the decision of the JC+ DM they are told that they may provide, to the non-medically qualified DM, medical evidence to support their case for the awarding of disability benefits.

Question is if the JC+ DM's weren't fit in the first place to decide claims, through their not being medically qualified to do so, to the point of the govt awarding a hugely expensive contract to Atos Origin (Healthcare div) then just when did they gain this medical knowlege/experience to decide appeals?