Author Topic: How is everyone getting on this week? Any plans?  (Read 1719 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
Re: How is everyone getting on this week? Any plans?
« Reply #15 on: 20 Apr 2022 03:25PM »
I love it when a problem is frustrating and then someone comes up with a simple workaround like Kizzy's WD40 suggestion.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 20 Apr 2022 08:14PM »
I want to go for a walk.  I know jolly well that whilst I could do with the fresh air and exercise, it's primarily to say hello to people and wave at people as we play the socially distancing reel.

But I've mapped it onto buying food.  I've tried to find something else to latch it onto.  Then the other day, I thought of something.  I keep seeing rubber bands discarded on the pavement and thinking what a waste.  I'm not short of rubber bands but the last twice I've been out, I've picked up several plus several discarded hair ties.  In the process I've spotted some other small things to pick up.  When I've got a whole blob of them, several dozen, I'll soak them in detergent then rinse them, then add them to my collection of 'useful things to tie bags used to put rubbish in'.  (I've also got a collection of used bags for rubbish, such as empty looroll bags etc.)

Meanwhile, we're now into "Put it at the end of your drive for others to take" weather.

So now I'm going to go 'bargain hunting' and see if I can avoid also 'cookie hunting'.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2022 06:47PM »
I love it when a problem is frustrating and then someone comes up with a simple workaround like Kizzy's WD40 suggestion.

So pleased I could be of some use  :f_biggrin: :thumbsup:

Sunny, I used to collect the red rubber bands discarded by the postman - only I had to be sure my cat of the time didn't get hold of them, he loved to try to eat them (once I found a turd in his tray with guess what wrapped round it  :f_yikes: )

So now I'm going to go 'bargain hunting' and see if I can avoid also 'cookie hunting'.

Good luck with that  :f_winkeye:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: 21 Apr 2022 09:08PM »
I've been cat-sitting for a neighbour.  It occurs to me that it would have been great fun to leave silly things in the cat litter or near it. 

Talking of which, I'm now getting anxious.  They said they'd be back this afternoon but their lights aren't on yet.  I  may go round and feed the cats again.

Meanwhile, I've just been out with my trolley for a big supermarket shop and yes, I bought some cookies, but although I ate more than I should have done, I didn't eat all of them.  A teensy bit of progress, but still some.

I've also realised that looking downwards is good at this time of year.  So many dandelions, daisies, nettles, bluebells etc. by the edge of the pavements.  Very cheerful.

Tony_Demoncy

• Gold Member
  • Wait - what?!
« Reply #19 on: 21 Apr 2022 10:49PM »
I had a surprise text from a friend today asking me if I wanted to go out for coffee. I hadn't seen her for months so it was very good to see her.
I Came I Saw I Fell Over (Tony)

What...yes but...but..alright. Boo tells me that I'm raving again. I did not notice a difference, but I shall heed his word, nonetheless.

Tony_Demoncy

• Gold Member
  • Wait - what?!
« Reply #20 on: 21 Apr 2022 11:09PM »
I am also doing what I do most Friday nights these days which is to host a social on zoom for members of Outsiders (Outsiders is a disabled people's social club and dating club - it is national)

What...yes but...but..alright. Boo tells me that I'm raving again. I did not notice a difference, but I shall heed his word, nonetheless.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: 21 Apr 2022 11:15PM »
That sounds like it could be very satisfying. 

Tony_Demoncy

• Gold Member
  • Wait - what?!
« Reply #22 on: 21 Apr 2022 11:23PM »
Hiya Sunny Clouds! It can be satisfying. It varies from me running it from 7 to 10pm or until 11pm which is the stated time, although I have been known to still be chatting on it at 9am the next morning. Sometimes my health isn't up to it but I try to make it as regularly as I can

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: 22 Apr 2022 12:08PM »
I've only belonged to one zoom group from autumn 2020 to early 2021.  I enjoyed it but felt absurdly awkward about the view behind me.  I wouldn't now, but it's because in my den/dayroom/study I've got lots of shelves behind me.  There are some books, but mostly it's stuff stored in transparent plastic boxes. Some is stationery, but there's also a range of stuff from sewing things to spare cables. 

I'm glad you raised the issue of zoom meetings. Some formal community meetings are zoom meetings and I haven't had courage to go to any.  I'd also thought of, but abandoned the idea of, finding local online social groups.  Time to get my act together.

Tony_Demoncy

• Gold Member
  • Wait - what?!
« Reply #24 on: 22 Apr 2022 01:02PM »
Hiya Sunny Clouds, if one has a new enough computer or a new enough graphics card, there is an option in zoom to blur the background or to use a photograph as a background - like with a greenscreen but without needing to use a greenscreen.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: 22 Apr 2022 04:00PM »
My desktop isn't new enough, but my laptop would be.  Another incentive to try to pluck up courage to use it.  I've been trying to find someone I could pay to teach me and help me.  I've just lost pretty much all my courage with new things.  I even took about 3 weeks to get it together to plug it in and the best part of a week or so to pluck up courage to switch it on. (I don't use an ordinary cooker, although I've got one, just countertop things like microwave, kettle, stockpot etc.)

Madness.

Tony_Demoncy

• Gold Member
  • Wait - what?!
« Reply #26 on: 22 Apr 2022 05:17PM »
Hugs I hope that you find your courage with new things again.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: 22 Apr 2022 07:41PM »
Something's happened where someone's kindness has nearly set me back but I'm pleased with how I'm dealing with it.  Background - as the years have gone by, I have been let down, sold short, misled, cheated etc. by so many people and organisations.  E.g. various government departments, employers, health professionals, lawyers, builders, plumbers, fuel companies, cable companies etc.  I've reached the point of finding it very, very difficult to trust anyone to help.

But the pandemic built on existing community structures where I am, making it easier to ask for and give free help.  I both give and take.  But someone asked me to do something I very happily did, then suddenly gave me a present to say thank you.  Earlier today, I felt suddenly like it made asking for help harder. Will people expect a 'payment'?

But I've now managed to remind myself that they didn't offer any payment/reward when they asked me to help, and they would know that there was no expectation of one when I agreed to help.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't give someone who helped me anything, it just means that I've reminded myself that people don't feel you're ripping them off if you ask for help as a neighbour and don't offer any payment/reward.

oldtone27

• Access All Areas
« Reply #28 on: 26 Apr 2022 03:24PM »
Making progress walking with frame today. Food is good. Other guys ok but everyone snores. I am coping with that.  Had some visitors, neighbour and coordinator from charity I volunteer for. Maybe getting home soon .

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: 26 Apr 2022 06:22PM »
Very disappointing, I thought you'd be onto marathons by now...

Ok, I'll be serious for a moment.  I'm glad you're making some progress and hope the pain levels are bearable and that you're ok to go home soon.

Big hugs and keep plodding away at it.

:big_hugs: