Author Topic: What helps you keep going?  (Read 979 times)

Fiz

• Access All Areas
What helps you keep going?
« on: 06 Feb 2022 01:30PM »
What helps you keep going when life feels too hard?

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
Re: What helps you keep going?
« Reply #1 on: 06 Feb 2022 01:32PM »
Humour, especially dark or absurd.  I remember ridiculous experiences from my life, but typically ones with a positive outcome.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #2 on: 06 Feb 2022 01:56PM »
A perverse desire not to let the pain or the bastards in Government get the better of me.

And I really need to see if the bluetits that have taken up residence in my nestbox will raise chicks this spring......

lankou

• Access All Areas
« Reply #3 on: 06 Feb 2022 02:37PM »
Humour, especially dark or absurd.  I remember ridiculous experiences from my life, but typically ones with a positive outcome.

Join the club.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 06 Feb 2022 04:23PM »

Join the club.

I'd consider it, but I'm not sure if I'd clock up the right number of points for each criterion.  I could try to get points for satire, but what if my explanation was too satirical?  If it was assessed by Atos, they'd take it literally and I'd be rejected as too serious.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 06 Feb 2022 04:29PM »
And I really need to see if the bluetits that have taken up residence in my nestbox will raise chicks this spring......

I hope they  behave properly.  Mine spend a lot of time sitting on a shrub just a couple of feet higher than where the neighbour's cats sunbathe on a wall.  What are they going to do if the neighbours stop giving the cats their preferred food and the cats decide to try blue tit instead?

I recommend this video (genuine not joke, and fun)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EPJEg6R3SM

From empty nest to first egg in less than 8 minutes! - BlueTit nest box live camera highlights 2021

Fiz

• Access All Areas
« Reply #6 on: 06 Feb 2022 05:25PM »
I watched that video a while back and was disappointed it ended with one laid egg and no hatchings. I guess the camera batteries ran out? It would have been lovely watching it all the way through.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 06 Feb 2022 05:54PM »
You have to watch the next video in the series for that.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 06 Feb 2022 05:59PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH8Q_Kck_FI

First egg hatching to chicks fledging.

The video page on the channel - there are over a hundred videos of that nesting box on there.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqd1aV6gTudT5TY8YVzK2Dg/videos

Happy blue tit nesting addiction.  On balance, I prefer robins.  Right bolshy little so-and-sos.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 07 Feb 2022 12:00AM »
Something else that's keeping me going right  now is interacting with other Ouchers. 

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 07 Feb 2022 01:25PM »
I am not sure if it keeps me going because this actually stops me doing anything, I find going to sleep helps me reset my brain.

Being here on Ouch Too can help a lot but then I also have a tendency to go off and hide myself in physical activities like rearranging the furniture. I know the darkness is near when I associate rearranging the furniture with the Titanic.

Sometimes being chronically sick and disabled feels like a job as in I wake up in a lot of pain and so my day is one of scheduling food and medication, not going out in the cold which triggers more pain etc I suppose the main role I have is survival to see the robin in the garden today.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 07 Feb 2022 04:32PM »
A perverse desire not to let the pain or the bastards in Government get the better of me.
:f_laugh: :thumbsup:

I am not sure if it keeps me going because this actually stops me doing anything, I find going to sleep helps me reset my brain.
Yes!  Definitely for me too.  Like switching a faulty appliance or tech device off and on again...Also, getting plugged into some good uplifting music can help with a low or irritable mood, I find.  Or watching an absorbing drama or wildlife documentary on telly - great distraction.  Oh, and what Sunny said:  humour in any form!

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned chocolate yet...

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 07 Feb 2022 05:58PM »
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned chocolate yet...

Aargh, I'm being spied on!  How did you know I'm slurping drinking chocolate and trying to resist the temptation to go and spoil myself with chocolate cookies?

Mind you, my latest gimmick is instead of telling myself not to buy chocolate bars/biscuits/cookies/cake is telling myself I have to collect 'veggie points'.  I don't have a formal scale of them, just "no veggies = no junk". 

oldtone27

• Access All Areas
« Reply #13 on: 08 Feb 2022 02:50PM »

Hot news on chocolate. Ok not actually hot. Cadbury is introducing 'twist and seal' packaging for some choc bars such as Dairy Milk, Wispa, Double Decker and Boost so that you can seal the pack if you can force yourself not to eat it all at once.

Supposed to be a dietary aid. Seems to me to be a solution looking for a problem.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 08 Feb 2022 06:48PM »
I'd just buy more, kidding myself I'd seal them.