Author Topic: brown envelopes  (Read 3732 times)

seegee

• Super Hero Member
brown envelopes
« on: 30 Jan 2014 01:51PM »
Post from DWP is likely to arrive on most of our doormats soon >dontpanic<, as it's time to receive the annual notification of the new rates of benefit payable from April.
I expect anyone who receives DLA, ESA, IS, JSA, state pension, AA or IB will get one.

I just got the DLA one, it's 8 pages including some stuff about PIP - if you are getting DLA, your condition doesn't change & your award isn't due to end, you will not be asked to claim PIP until next year at the earliest.  I expect most people here already know that.

Now I have to decide how to spend my extra 55p a week, as well as the added 80p on ESA.  Maybe I could buy a cup of coffee with it all (or maybe it'll be swallowed by the power company). ;-)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: brown envelopes
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2014 06:18PM »
I got a shock the other day when I was looking at my ESA Support Group entitlement letter and its dated 2012 not 2013  >doh< I guess thinking I probably had  two years to go before reassessment and not one was wishful thinking.

It is good to have the heads up about the standard annual notification letters arriving it will mean people are less likely to have what can feel like the ESA  'letter of doom' sat on the side table or mantlepiece waiting to be opened.

Now I have to decide how to spend my extra 55p a week, as well as the added 80p on ESA.  Maybe I could buy a cup of coffee with it all (or maybe it'll be swallowed by the power company)

It wont even buy a lottery ticket now they are two pounds. Oh well at least I wont get hounded by the Daily Mail as a benefit scrounger who won millions  >raspberry< (to the DM

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2014 06:39PM »

I've never bought a ticket for the National Lottery & didn't know how much they cost.  I'd rather choose which charities get any money I donate than have someone else choose for me.

>raspberry< to the people who thought it was a good idea to encourage more people to give away a couple of pounds a week to charity & "win" £10 once or twice a year. 
I wonder if Idiot Dumbwit Smitt will want DWP to cross-check records with the lottery to see if any of the people living on benefit have so much spare cash they can afford to gamble as his next "bright idea".  :-(

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2014 12:50PM »
I wish the DWP would use special envelopes, I had three BBEs (Big Brown Envelopes) drop on the mat the other day and started to panic. 

One was a letter from a relative who included a photograph of a family member and gravestone for family tree research purposes.

One was a letter for the wife from a finance company about a payment she had already paid.

The last was from the Army referring to cadet stuff.

Three of the things and not one with a Belfast return address! Can't they get white envelopes with a coloured stripe along one edge?
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2014 01:30PM »
I wish the DWP would use special envelopes, I had three BBEs (Big Brown Envelopes) drop on the mat the other day and started to panic. 
Can't they get white envelopes with a coloured stripe along one edge?
My council use white envelopes with stripy coloured edging, so that'd be worse here.  :-(

Prabhakari

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2014 01:49PM »
Blue would do.
It could mirror the mood induced by its arrival.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Peggythepirate

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2014 02:05PM »
I wish the DWP would use special envelopes
ATurtle,

I think special envelopes would be a bad idea.

Where I live, post for five flats all comes through the same letter box. It gets sorted by whoever picks it up first. I don't really want the neighbours knowing about my correspondence.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2014 02:12PM »
The current ones have a return address on the back, so anyone can see they are from DWP already.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2014 02:30PM by seegee »

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2014 02:55PM »
Three of the things and not one with a Belfast return address! Can't they get white envelopes with a coloured stripe along one edge?

Oddly enough, Turtle, the local branch of Lourdes use white envelopes. Just to scare us that little bit more ...

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2014 05:16PM »
 >tah< for the heads-up, Seegee, I had my ESA uprating letter today and my heart didn't flip-flop at the sight of the envelope...

NN, 'local branch of Lourdes'?  Is that a special name for ATOS?  >biggrin<

Monic1511

• Access All Areas
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2014 08:03PM »
Hi Kizzy

"NN, 'local branch of Lourdes'?  Is that a special name for ATOS?  >biggrin<"

The folk in Glasgow all refer to Corunna House (ATOS Centre) as Lourdes
After all you go in there with all the helath problems and there nothing wrong with you by the time you leave  >whistle<

Monic

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2014 08:55PM »
 >lol<  we wish..

neurochick

• Diamond member
« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2014 11:15PM »
Corunna House has been the main Glasgow based assessment location for decades - long before ATOS were ever involved in any claims processing.

It was locally legendary and became known as Lourdes because people who were being assessed for their claims were known use all sorts of mobility aids going in to the building (people were actually known to borrow crutches, wheelchairs and the like and in the days before there was so much security around identity, it was not unheard of for people to have have someone else with more significant impairments go along to the assessment in their place).  There was also a lot of limping and such like observed from the folk on the way in.  However, these same claimants were then observed to leave the building and run for buses with their crutches and sticks tucked under their arms or even to discard the mobility aids on leaving the building!!  It was this amazing miracle cure that they underwent when leaving the building which gave rise to the Lourdes nickname.  I had a close relative who worked in the building for some years for an unrelated organisation and this 'miraculously cured claimant' behaviour was observed regularly enough to give rise to the local Lourdes joke.

Incidentally, I am only repeating the local historic story about why the building is nicknamed Lourdes - I'm not suggesting that the current system is right or fair or that claimants are all fakers so please read it in the spirit intended and don't have a go at me!

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 01 Feb 2014 01:11AM »
Hi Kizzy

"NN, 'local branch of Lourdes'?  Is that a special name for ATOS?  >biggrin<"

The folk in Glasgow all refer to Corunna House (ATOS Centre) as Lourdes
After all you go in there with all the helath problems and there nothing wrong with you by the time you leave  >whistle<

Monic

It's Royston House over here. Also known as 'Royston Vasey'. It depends on which form of grim jocularity you prefer.  ;-)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 01 Feb 2014 02:14PM »
Neurochick,

I still find it hard to get my head around the way there are people who try to cheat the system in the way you describe, but then I tend to think that the person who manages to cheat their way to a successful claim is just going to sit at home all day. I am probably wrong on that though because a fraudster if probably going to be busy doing other things in order to get more money because the level of DLA or ESA is so low.

It is weird really that benefit fraudsters are just common thieves yet papers like the Daily Mail dont have articles about thieves making it harder for genuine people to claim sickness benefit.