Author Topic: Guess who bought some chocolate covered dates today?  (Read 7215 times)

starsmurf

Re: Guess who bought some chocolate covered dates today?
« Reply #15 on: 09 Dec 2013 02:24AM »
I don't doubt the findings starsmurf reports, but as with all food scares I always ask: how many people have been reported ill eating the foodstuff?. Excluding simple over indulgence of course.

It is not unknown of those exotic fruit, apples to contain wildlife, or possibly wild-death. Perhaps a bit easier to than in dates I will concede. Probably of more concern is what they are coated with.

It's from trading standards so there must've been reports. 

My references to potential >feeling-sick< was more driven by the thought of eating a big insect like that (they looked about 2/3rds the size of the date itself, so they're not tiny), rather than any illness caused by eating them.

As you say, there is also concern about what is on dates.  If you're eating them, wash them well.  If they're chocolate covered, they've probably been washed.  But not de-insected >whistle<
Look carefully at the avatar, note what's barely visible in the gap in the rings.  I've highlighted it for you.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 09 Dec 2013 08:03AM »
Insects can be quite nutritious there are those who think we should make them a regular part of our staple diet.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 09 Dec 2013 09:03AM »
If you eat large animals why not smaller ones?  ;-) >lol<

Yvette

« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2013 01:13PM »
I'm going to try some of those pastilles next time I'm in town, oldtone.   >tah<

Yvette

« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2013 01:14PM »
Just out of interest, although I bought the chocolate covered dates on Friday last, I have not yet even tried one.

Although I did have some toasted coconut and then some crystallised ginger last night.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: 10 Dec 2013 04:28PM »
Mmmmmm, the dates sound delish! Unfortunately, once I start on that kind of thing I am unable to stop, so I'm best leaving them on the shelf  :-(

Frances

• Charter Member
« Reply #21 on: 10 Dec 2013 05:38PM »
Ginger with black choccy is my downfall.
But perhaps it's just as well it's not easy to find as it empties the Pounds out of my purse and deposits them on my rear ! >lol<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: 10 Dec 2013 06:31PM »
We all have our weaknesses, Frances... >biggrin<

I've never seen these famous choc dates in my own branch of Holland and Barrett - pah  >thumbsdown<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: 10 Dec 2013 10:01PM »
Ginger with black choccy is my downfall.
But perhaps it's just as well it's not easy to find as it empties the Pounds out of my purse and deposits them on my rear ! >lol<

Oh yes!! I found some choc ginger in a £ shop recently. Thought it wouldn't be much good at that price but it was delish  >biggrin<

Yvette

« Reply #24 on: 11 Dec 2013 10:45AM »
I had some of the choc dates last night.  Yummy.

Kizzy, you may have to ask an assistant to find the choc dates for you as they are often hard to find.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: 11 Dec 2013 05:56PM »
Thanks, Yvette - I'll try that when I next visit H & B, I can't bear missing out  ;-)

Yvette

« Reply #26 on: 18 Dec 2013 10:52PM »
I went into Holland and Barrett again today.

But did not buy any chocolate covered dates  -  I bought two packets the last time I went in and still have one packet left.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: 18 Dec 2013 11:02PM »
I'm hoping to get to H&B tomorrow.  I also like their dried mango - the sort that has large dry pieces.  I'm not so keen on the small chewy ones.