Author Topic: Walking Poles as an alternative to crutches?  (Read 1632 times)

Yvette

Walking Poles as an alternative to crutches?
« on: 07 Jun 2013 03:25PM »
Does anyone use walking poles? 

If you do, please would you post how you get on with them and what make/brand you use?

When out, I use a wheelchair or scooter but to get to the car I have to walk down a very long path on crutches and even with using gutter crutches, my shoulders are becoming more and more painful.

I would be so grateful for some advice please.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
Re: Walking Poles as an alternative to crutches?
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jun 2013 08:46PM »
I went in the opposite direction - from walking poles to crutches.  Whether you'd find them suitable would depend a lot on your gait and how much of your bodyweight you need the poles to bear. Walking poles are usually designed to offer stability rather than weight-bearing, so they tend to have a very narrow diameter, which makes them feel a bit wobbly if you try to lean too heavily on them.  Certainly if you're used to crutches, then it would be a good idea to use a ferrule that increases the pole's footprint as much as possible.

Most models are composed of three sections, which can be adjusted telescopically by rotating two sections in opposite directions until they feel loose, sliding one part out of the other, and then twisting the parts again until they're secure.  They might not work for you if you have any problems with your grip as it takes quite a bit of force to secure and undo the sections.

There are two styles of handle, a vertical 'ski-pole' type and a walking stick type.  Some poles have a combination of both, which can be useful for negotiating different gradients.  Neither is good at distributing weight, which can make your hands very sore very quickly. Leki is considered to be the best brand on the market, but there are plenty of cheaper options offering similar features, such as shock absorbing sections, and back in the days when I was still a hill walker, I never really found them to be any less reliable or durable than the top-of-the-range variety.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If I remember anything more, I'll post again.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2013 07:56AM by NeuralgicNeurotic »

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Walking Poles as an alternative to crutches?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2013 01:52PM »
I ended up watching a bit of Britain's Got Talent the other day and was interested in the walking frame thingum the boy with CP was using. It looked like he could move forward a bit at a time then stop and sit perch with his weight on his bottom not his arms. I don't know if the frames are made for adults though.