Author Topic: Tubing stuck in nebuliser - how can I get it off?  (Read 7484 times)

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
I have the tubing totally wedged onto my nebuliser. It's at the compressor end so I can't just chuck it out with the med chamber when I replace it. I can't remember which is the UK and US names for the unit as I bought mine from the USA where it was about 6 times cheaper, it's a Pari Trek S. Even strong people with fully functioning fingers can't pull it off - what can I do? I can't change the tubing, I can't clean it properly and it won't fit in the carry bag properly which is compressing the tubing and might make it stop working. I am not mad keen to send it away for a service just to have the tubing removed. Last resort I suppose is trying to cut it off with a knife but if I cut it wrongly it's going to make things so much worse. Any suggestions, maybe something I can rub on it, heat it up, cool it down??? Twisting it around doesn't help, it just twists 360 degrees without budging!

lankou

• Access All Areas
Re: Tubing stuck in nebuliser - how can I get it off?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2012 10:05AM »
Customer services:-

patientconnection@pari.com

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2012 10:24AM »
I don't want to deal with the manufacuturer, 99% of the time they tell you to send it in - why wouldn't they, it's all money for them? I want to know if there is anything I haven't tried that won't involve me having to deal with the manufacturer. That's even more last resort than hacking it off with a Stanley knife!

lankou

• Access All Areas
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2012 10:35AM »
I don't want to deal with the manufacuturer, 99% of the time they tell you to send it in - why wouldn't they, it's all money for them? I want to know if there is anything I haven't tried that won't involve me having to deal with the manufacturer. That's even more last resort than hacking it off with a Stanley knife!

Is the tube just in theory push on pull off? If it is can boiling water be poured over the join without doing any damage to the machine?
If it can this should soften the tube temporarily at the join so it can be pulled off.
Be advised I would prefer you email the company first because my experience of dealing with customer services/technical services in general is different to yours.

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2012 10:56AM »
Definitely wouldn't be able to put water on it, it's too close to the electronic components. It's supposed to just pull off, yes, the other end pulls off just fine.

lankou

• Access All Areas
« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2012 11:06AM »
Definitely wouldn't be able to put water on it, it's too close to the electronic components. It's supposed to just pull off, yes, the other end pulls off just fine.

Use a hair dryer? I am assuming this is clear plastic flexible tube, it does not usually take much heat to soften it.

Achesnpains

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2012 01:05PM »
If it is meant to just push on & pull off you may be able to loosen it by rocking it from side to side on the connector. You will probably need a good grip though. I have seen tubing get stuck, usually if the ends aren't dry when the tubing is put on - the moisture kind of makes it stick somehow. Always possible with nebulisers etc!

Yvette

« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2012 02:15PM »
I was going to suggest a hair dryer too.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2012 12:06PM »
I was going to suggest a hair dryer too.

Me three.

Also as Achesand pains said push and pull.
When a nut is stuck mechanics ofter tighten it before trying to loosen it off because it breaks the 'seal' that stuck it in one place.

The only other thing I can think of is using a crochet hook to gain purchase and wiggle to break any air lock.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2012 12:39PM »
Could you not just let the compressor run till the tubing warms up then try to pull it off with the compressor running?
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

TemporallyLoopy

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #10 on: 04 Dec 2012 10:58PM »
As another nebber, am wondering if you ever managed to unstick your tubes!

T.Loopy
Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans.

(Betty Talmadge, b. 1924)