Author Topic: Wheelchair voucher help?  (Read 1552 times)

Yvette

Wheelchair voucher help?
« on: 08 Nov 2012 09:14AM »
Four years ago I bought my active user wheelchair with a contribution from NHS wheelchair vouchers.  The wheelchair has to last five years and the voucher includes money for servicing and its upkeep.

My needs have now changed and an active user wheelchair is getting too difficult for me to self propel.  I need an adjustment to have push handles at a height which is comfortable for people to push me.

This adjustment is going to cost over three hundred pounds which I haven't got. 

Can I apply to Wheelchair services as my needs have changed or will they say I have to wait another year before they will help me?

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Wheelchair voucher help?
« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov 2012 10:23AM »
Yvette,

The way the Wheelchair Services work varies from county to county, for rxample when I got my wheelchair voucher I was told that over in Leicestershire I would have just got £100 where over in Derbyshire it was around £1000 for someone like me. I think the best options is for you to give the Wheelchair Services in your area a ring and explain you have had a change in need and ask if the service will fund the height adjustment to the handles.

I see it in the same way as if you needed an electric wheelchair now you should not be made to wait a year.

Yvette

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2012 09:34AM »
I telephoned Wheelchair Services and was told to have a re-referral from an OT or GP.

I have made a GP appointment for this week as I don't have a current OT and my GP knows me well.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2012 01:39PM »
Yvette,

Thank you for letting us know please keep us updated on how long it all takes.

Hopefully you will still be able to get out and about on the days the weather is good.
 >bighugs<