Author Topic: Scooters on buses  (Read 11538 times)

seegee

• Super Hero Member
Re: Scooters on buses
« Reply #45 on: 18 Jul 2012 08:49AM »
Dial-a-Ride or
Door-to-Door or
Ring-&-Ride or
Local Link or
Shopping Link or
volunteer drivers (organised via local passenger transport authority) -
      ...and probably a good number of other names for transport for people who find the public transport system where they live just too difficult.

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #46 on: 18 Jul 2012 09:54AM »
...[snip]...
Just for info this is not a mobility scooter its a Power chair ( aka wheelchiar) with the adition of front controls.

That is not a Power chair/aka electric wheelchair with the addition of front controls, it is a small mobility scooter. 
Save the world - it's the only planet with chocolate

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #47 on: 18 Jul 2012 10:54AM »
More about Ray Bellisario's bus experience from M. Miller... http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/jul/11/row-wheelchairs-buses-minister-attitude?intcmp=239

and about inaccessible transport from Frances ryan in the Guardian...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/jul/10/inaccessibility-pushes-marginalised-on-to-edges

Sofie

« Reply #48 on: 18 Jul 2012 11:08AM »
Dial-a-Ride or
Door-to-Door or
Ring-&-Ride or
Local Link or
Shopping Link or
volunteer drivers (organised via local passenger transport authority) -
      ...and probably a good number of other names for transport for people who find the public transport system where they live just too difficult.

We get nothing like that in Plymouth. And there's no help with taxi fares either.

oldtone27

• Access All Areas
« Reply #49 on: 18 Jul 2012 11:28AM »
If I understand a VI lady who lives nearby, she has given up her disability bus pass in favour of an annual allowance for use with taxis and the local dial-a-bus. The latter is limited to town centre trips at particular times days but she does use it. She also uses a volunteer-driver service, I am not sure if the allowance covers that too.

As she has difficulty using the buses she finds this alternative suits her better, and she uses it to get to various the social and educational activities she does.

I was not sure, but it seems from what Sofie says these services depends on your local council and may not be available nationally. No doubt its not perfect but opinion seems to be the Poole council is better than others in our locality for disability assistance. Mind you like others it has cut back on services recently..

Sofie

« Reply #50 on: 18 Jul 2012 11:37AM »
When I lived in London, I had a freedom pass and was able to buy taxi vouchers. something like £6.40 for £10 worth. They were so useful - especially as I'd stay at a friends' in the evening, go home at 11 and he wasn't on a bus or tube route.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #51 on: 18 Jul 2012 06:15PM »
http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/homepage/transportandroads/publictransport/accessplymouth.htm
There may be restrictions on who can use these services, they are generally for people who can't use ordinary public transport/ can't walk more than a very short distance.

devine63

« Reply #52 on: 18 Jul 2012 09:30PM »
London now has the Taxicard scheme - I get 52 journeys per annum - one journey per week and I pay the driver £2.50 for about £11 of journey (depending which tariff is operating at the time - days, eves & weekends).  It's handy for when I am lugging a suitcase or making a journey which involves lots of changes.
regards, Deb