Author Topic: 'Permitted Work' while claiming ESA  (Read 3880 times)

Sunshine Meadows

  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8453
'Permitted Work' while claiming ESA
« on: 10 Feb 2012 11:24AM »

'Permitted Work' - working while claiming Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You can do some limited work while claiming ESA. There are rules about what work you can do and how many hours you can work. You may have to pay Income Tax on your earnings.

About Permitted Work

Generally, you are not allowed to work while you are getting ESA because of an illness or disability.

You may be able to do some types of work and within certain limits. This is called 'Permitted Work' and it allows you to test your own capacity for doing some work and perhaps gain new skills.

You must check that the work you want to do is allowed under the Permitted Work rules. You should discuss this with your personal adviser.

You do not need approval from your doctor or have to have a medical assessment just because you are doing Permitted Work. If a medical assessment is due as part of your ongoing benefits-related review, it will go ahead as planned.

Permitted Work is a benefit arrangement - employers do not offer 'permitted work'.

The Permitted Work rules

Under the Permitted Work rules you can:

 -  work for less than 16 hours a week on average, with earnings up to £97.50 a week for 52 weeks
 -  work for less than 16 hours a week, on average, with earnings up to £97.50 a week if you are in the Support Group of the
    main phase of ESA
 -  work and earn up to £20 a week, at any time, for as long as you are receiving ESA
 -  do Supported Permitted Work and earn up to £97.50 a week for as long as you are receiving ESA, provided you continue to
    satisfy the Supported Permitted Work criteria

Supported Permitted Work means work that is supervised by someone who is employed by a public or local council or a voluntary organisation, and whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people. This could be work done in the community or in a sheltered workshop. It also includes work as part of a hospital treatment programme.

Income Tax

If you start Permitted Work, you may have to pay tax on your extra income. You must notify HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) as soon as you start work.

Effect on other benefits

If you get Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit and you do Permitted Work, any earnings over £20 may be taken into account when assessing these benefits.

Your personal adviser can give you more information about Permitted Work.

(edited for formatting - KK)
« Last Edit: 05 Sep 2012 01:54PM by SunshineMeadows »