Author Topic: Yet more DWP WCA propaganda  (Read 2798 times)

Ricardomeister

• Charter Member
Yet more DWP WCA propaganda
« on: 24 Nov 2011 11:51PM »
Evidently, we are all going to "benefit from further changes to the Work Capability Assessment..........which will further improve the system’s fairness and effectiveness", according to today's press release (yes of course we are!):

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/newsroom/press-releases/2011/nov-2011/dwp131-11.shtml

I am rather disappointed with Professor Harrington, although there is only so much he can do, as we all know that a tick box test cannot cozily put many hundreds of different conditions/illnesses/disabilities, and the different effects that they have on different people, into nice little boxes.
I was also disappointed to read that he thinks that the changes being implemented are already making a real difference to people. If that were true then why (if you pro-rata the April-Sept 11 figures) are we on course to have a 31% increase in successful ESA appeals from 47,600 last year to over 62,000 this year?  Also, why is the waiting time for appeals shooting up?
As for Grayling, I counted at least 4 blatant lies in just those few lines!

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Yet more DWP WCA propaganda
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2011 07:26PM »
Minister for Employment, Chris Grayling said:

"It is in everyone’s interest to get the system right. We want the assessment to be as fair and consistent as possible. This is the first step on a journey back to work for many people and we want it to be positive.

"The system is far better than it was two years ago but there are still improvements and refinements we can make.

"We are committed to helping thousands of people move from benefits and back into work. Those who are found fit for work will get the help and support they need to get a job. Those found too sick or disabled to work won’t be expected to and will continue to receive the help and support they need."

>angry< What jobs?

I am finding it difficult to comment because Grayling is so out of touch with even his own reality

Sofie

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2011 07:41PM »
What support? I've had to beg my adviser for support for the last, oh, 6 months...

Offworld

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2011 08:42PM »
Professor Harrington, although there is only so much he can do

Well, he could always stop taking part in the Government's charade,
since it must surely be obvious to him by now that they've absolutely
no inclination to reform their reforms.

Mistynow

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2011 09:44PM »
they've absolutely

unless they can make it harder to pass the WCA so more get denied benefits  :-(

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2011 07:43AM »
The latest I have heard is the plan that everyone will have to claim JSA and will only be awarded ESA after the DWP agree they are sick or disabled ...

Richard_D

« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2011 01:26PM »
they've absolutely

unless they can make it harder to pass the WCA so more get denied benefits  :-(

Wouldn't that cost more money if the appeals process still remains an available option to people who have been denied.
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.