Author Topic: Rising Prices and the Cost of Living  (Read 158 times)

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
Rising Prices and the Cost of Living
« on: 14 Sep 2022 10:58AM »
With everything currently going up in price from food to fuel to energy costs I thought it might be useful if we had a thread sharing cost saving tips or offers that we've seen that might be of interest to other Ouchers.

For instance have you found a really energy efficient method of batch cooking or simple draft proofing techniques?

How about Grants or Benefits that people can access?

Let's start a discussion on how we can keep ourselves warm and well fed this winter when confronted with higher prices everywhere.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Rising Prices and the Cost of Living
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2022 06:17PM »
Timings - if you don't have to keep to specific timings that would preclude this - maybe alter your sleeping times relative to daylight times.  Also, if physically moving warms you, maybe alter your activity pattern if you are able to, to alternate activities requiring more or less mobility. 

If you're on medication that affects how warm you feel, see if tweaking the time you take it, taking into consideration safety issues like whether you need to take it at the same time as food or spaced out every few hours or whatever, makes a difference.  I have found, for instance, that taking my thyroxine when I get up in the night to go to the loo has left me warmer in bed than I have been for years (and I have thermometers next to the bed, so I know whether that's just weather changes or not).

I recently bought, for about a pound each, a handheld carpet sweeper (plastic box with handle containing two rollers) and a handheld (mini) dustpan and brush.  I just thought they'd be convenient for getting up crumbs round my desk, then thought how actually they'll save electricity over time.

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)