Author Topic: Getting a GP appointment and NHS 111.  (Read 951 times)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Getting a GP appointment and NHS 111.
« on: 10 Aug 2022 03:58PM »
Last week I was in a huge amount of pain and knew there was no way I was going to be able to stay on the line for the GP appointments like or NHS 111 so I used the online Triage option on the GP's website. It was the first time I had used it and the word limit on each section meant I did not rabble on which helped bother me and the potential reader. I have a stick camera from Amazon that let me get a picture of the back of my throat and right ear. A GP rang within an hour diagnosed a sinus infection- the reason for the pain levels reaching  agony was that I also have Trigeminal Neuralgia which I of course already know. The GP wrote a prescription for ten days of antibiotics and it was picked up in the afternoon for me. The GP also said he needed to see m e face to face and made an appointment for today. I have no been additionally diagnosed with a chronically busted eardrum and seemed a little surprised I could hear anything - its like my right ear has been deep sea diving sounds are distant but they are there. I got a referral to get an op at Derby Hospital and the GP also made an appointment with my actual GP to talk about HRT next week. Brilliant so much done for me because I gave Triage a try. I mean it makes it worth trying again doesn't it?

In the course of me chattering as he did computer stuff I asked is there anything we as patients can do to help and he said know that NHS 111 calls get pushed across to 999 and it has meant people who just need a new inhaler get sent an ambulance. I think it is a call centre call handler thing where calls have to be answered and handled with a time period and if they are not the technology pushes the call to 999. He mentioned he is retiring soon I asked I asked to shake is hand, it was a small thank you for all his and others work but I believe it matter as he said yes of course and we shook hands.

- Sorry about any typos I cant check pain is on its return and I need meds ttfn.

Monic1511

• Access All Areas
Re: Getting a GP appointment and NHS 111.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2022 10:38PM »
I hope you’re feeling better and nice to know some systems work

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2022 09:40AM »
I'm sorry you're in so much pain Sunshine  :f_hug:

But what a lovely doctor! It really renews your faith in the health system to hear of such good service and I'm so pleased for you that you were able to arrange so much in one appointment.

I do hope the antibiotics start working their magic soon.

Take care  :f_rose:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2022 02:17PM »
I hope the eardrum and HRT referrals result in prompt and effective treatment.

I don't quite understand, though, what's burst your eardrum, since I'm too far away to have damaged it with my incessant talking.   :f_winkeye:

:f_hug:
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2022 05:18PM »
Thank you all I am a lot better now. :f_smiley:

When I was a toddler my twin and I both had whooping cough and it affected our ears, his more than mine because he ended up deaf on one side. I have had two different types of grommet fitted in my right ear, the last one was long term and fell out a few years ago. Anyway in November las year I blew my nose to hard my eardrum popped. A week later I bought a camera gizmo to have a look and there it was a huge but also small hole taking more than half the ear drum.

I did not seek medical attention but Googled then crossed my fingers it would heal on its own.

Incessant talking no that is more usually me  :biggrin:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2022 11:14AM »
Belated further response.

I'd never stopped to think about long term aspects of grommets, or, for that matter, that anything might be able to be done with a damaged eardrum.  I now have a silly image of a surgeon darning it like a hole in a sock.  Well, I guess whatever gets done is a bit less, erm, home-made than that, but maybe they can do something.

I'm not clear - is your other ear ok?  (If I've not got my brain in gear and you did say, my apologies.)

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2022 07:32PM »
I now have a silly image of a surgeon darning it like a hole in a sock.

:f_laugh: :f_laugh:

Glad you're feeling better now, Sunshine, and that the NHS came through for you  :thumbsup: