Author Topic: The Dog got Stung by a Wasp!  (Read 671 times)

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
The Dog got Stung by a Wasp!
« on: 07 Aug 2022 01:53PM »
Poor Benji.

Out for his morning constitutional and a nasty wasp stung him on his paw. He held his paw out so my husband could remove the wasp, and the poor dog limped home on three legs.

He was so distressed. We tried to put ice on it but he was having none of it. He was pacing about until he finally came to me and I managed to calm him down through gently stroking him. Eventually he got fed up with sitting on the floor and went to the sofa. I moved from my chair to the sofa to continue stroking him where every time I tried to drink my cup of tea he would nudge my elbow in protest at the momentary stroke stoppage! :f_laugh:

Tea went everywhere!
But as long as the dog was alright, that's all that matters!

He's now fully recovered and no longer limping. My hand, however, is still suffering from the excessive stroking.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
Re: The Dog got Stung by a Wasp!
« Reply #1 on: 08 Aug 2022 10:05AM »
That's devoted dog-caring, well done, DD!

I can't compare with tea, but in the night I did a harmless (no stains) silly.  I had a blanket over my duvet (thyroid) but the heat tipped over into no-blanket, so I tossed the blanket off.  My bed isn't up against a wall and I tossed it on the non-bedside-table side.  Over the years, I must have done that hundreds and hundreds of times.  For the first time ever, I misjudged it and knocked the mug of water off my bedside table.

No harm done because it's just water, but I keep a pillbox with a week's thyroid tablets next to the water.  They're sodden.  Fortunately, I'm not short of them and by some miracle there was a non-dissolved one at the end to take this morning.

But if it had been tea, I'd have been anxiously looking for stains.

As for the hand - you'll have to get your dog to lick it better or something.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 08 Aug 2022 09:29PM »
Doesn't a relatively small amount of water go an awfully long way when it's spilt....

I know they have their function in nature, but wasps are 'orrible things.  Glad your Benji's over his unpleasant surprise with all your TLC, anyway!

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #3 on: 09 Aug 2022 11:40AM »
Benji, sleeping it off!

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 09 Aug 2022 12:30PM »
Sleeping it off?  That's no good, he should be licking up the tea and cuddling your overworked hand!

I bet Benji's glad he lives with someone like you, not like me.  Not only do I have a terrible sense of humour, I have to have cats.  They tell me what to do, not ask me what to do.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2022 03:36PM »
It sounds like Benji needed his Mum and you were there for him. He looks so sweet in the photo is he an adult rescue or have you had him from a pup?

I dog a hole in the garden for Alec to drop a Acer tree into in its pot so it gets cooled by the wet soil after having its leaves frazzled by the sun. I pointed at what I was doing and Bran got straight into his new bed  :biggrin:

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2022 10:29AM »
Benji was a rescue at four years old. He had been abandoned in kennels when his owners moved to Europe. They were going to come back for him then changed their minds. When the vets got his old notes through, it turns out they had thought of removing him several times before because they thought he was 'difficult ' and 'aggressive '. So they had no intention of coming back for him in the first place.
It makes me really angry.

When the vets delved further into the notes, it was truly horrifying. The previous owners bought him from a puppy farm, obviously knew nothing about the breed, and kept asking the vets 'why is he behaving like this? ', 'Is this normal? '

He arrived into our lives a week after our old boy Barney had been put to sleep. We were devastated and decided we would wait a while until we got another dog. Then the vets called my husband and told my husband about Benji saying 'We know it's a bit soon after Barney but we were asked if we knew of any experienced Basset owners and thought of you guys........'

And what would be the harm in just looking?  :f_laugh:
So we went to visit, he came straight home with us (purely on a trial basis! ) and never left!

He's just turned 11 and is the best behaved Basset we've ever had! There's not an aggressive bone in his body, he's an absolute poppet, loves everyone, rarely barks or howls, and is incredibly easy going.
He's also a sneaky little escape artist, as are all bassets, and is a food ninja. If you can't see him or hear him then assume he's up to mischief! He can be stubborn, independently minded, and unusually for a Basset very fussy about what he eats for his breakfast and dinner. He'll happily scavenge through the bin and eat crap but not his food! We're forever changing his food brand! Fussy little git!

I just think his previous owners had no idea what they were letting themselves in for with either a dog or a Basset. When we collected him he arrived with a dog crate and had been used to spending all day crated. Now he has full run of the place.
His paws were so soft and tender where he hadn't been walked, we had to be very careful where and how long we walked him for until his pads hardened up.
He doesn't know how to play with toys, and even though we've tried to teach him with a ball he just looks terribly confused at why we're throwing things at him! He has a couple of soft toys that we try to encourage him to mouth on however he's not interested and just doesn't understand the concept of play.
He's very good at playing with other dogs though.

Sorry, I've given a complete biography of Benji  :f_whistle:

Sunshine, Dogs and newly dug holes - they just love them don't they?   :biggrin: