Author Topic: How to Fill in a PIP Review Form  (Read 2719 times)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: How to Fill in a PIP Review Form
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2022 07:29PM »
Well done, DD  :thumbsup:   I also requested a two-week extension after the wretched heatwave effectively knocked out a few days and I was feeling anxious about the deadline.  Still picking away at the thing, 'eating the elephant one bite at a time'!

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jul 2022 10:31PM »
I hate all this benefits form filling, so my heart goes out to others doing it.  Big hugs and fingers crossed, DD & KK.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 01 Aug 2022 07:39PM »
Cheers, Sunny - pleased to report that I have finished the wretched thing  :Cartwheel_by_livius: and just need to use Dad's printer (my own is knacked) to photocopy it on Wednesday and then consign it to the Royal Mail:  it's like having a dark cloud lifted, not having to think about it any more.  The trouble with that sort of DWP form is it makes one dwell on things that are best not thought about in depth, if you know what I mean - and you probably do!

Monic1511

« Reply #18 on: 01 Aug 2022 09:19PM »
I know exactly what you mean Kizzy, when i was doing them for people you could see them getting depressed because I emphasised all the things they couldn’t do so I’d have to make them laugh and got a reputation for being the lassie with the twisted sense of humour.  When someone tells me they struggle to walk & I referred them to mobility scooters that go at 8 mile an hour up and down the shopping centre where I suggested they race each other.  Prompting and encouragement was translated as “ does your partner nag you” nagging becomes positive along with the eye rolls.

Good luck and I hope you get the reply you need

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #19 on: 02 Aug 2022 09:32AM »
Yay Kizzy!  :f_hug:
What a relief to get the dreaded form out of the way.  :biggrin:

I received a text yesterday confirming receipt of my form so now it's just the wait!

Good luck for both of us  :xfingers:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: 03 Aug 2022 03:47PM »
I hate the fact that we should think it needs luck.  You're both genuinely disabled and will have put in honest claims.

But given that the system's corrupt, so that being genuinely entitled isn't enough, I cling onto the fact that you're both articulate and have been savvy enough to check out your rights and what criteria you need to satisfy, to make it harder for decision-makers to unjustly turn you down on a pretext.

Yes, under the current PIP assessment system where you're no longer assessed simply on your genuine needs, but on your ability to convince the decision-maker that you're harder to wrongfully turn down than  others, I think you are both in with a good chance of being awarded Persistent Initiative Prizes.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Monic1511

« Reply #21 on: 03 Aug 2022 05:12PM »
The luck is in which decision maker’s desk your form ends up on.  We can all interpret things differently, when someone says to me I can’t work because I had 1 nighttime seizure 10 months ago and I’m sitting there working thinking I had 2 seizures yesterday but hey ho, I have to try and not be judgemental. I’d imagine it’s similar for decision makers especially when DWP is 1 of the few places that employs disabled adults.

The problem is they forget the additional tests of can the task be done repeatedly reliably and safely.

When I did the representation I knew what the decision makers attitude was by their names, certain ones always had the same opinion and we kept a chart of the worst decision makers and fed back to DWP that we always won the appeals done by that dm and that individual needs additional training  :f_peacedove:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: 03 Aug 2022 07:25PM »
Something I think that the PIP categorised points system doesn't properly allow for is forms of disability arising from overlap between more than one impairment.  You could have two impairments, neither of which is worth points, but the intersectionality of which is definitely worth points. 

Also, it's bad enough that in various fields of medicine there are prejudices and stereotypes, but those will, I believe, inevitably come through in benefits assessments as well.

I could rant forever about these issues, so count yourselves lucky that I'm restraining myself! 

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #23 on: 04 Aug 2022 10:13AM »
You raise some interesting points Sunny.

I wrote on my application how having multiple conditions compounds the effects of each of them so that the overall result is greater than perhaps imagined if each condition was considered in isolation to the others.

Sometimes, I don't think people understand how hard it is to manage conflicting symptoms and side effects of medications.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: 08 Aug 2022 09:17PM »
Monic - thank you for your good wishes and I think dark humour is often the best way to deal with these sorts of things (though don't tell the PIP decision makers that we dare to have a laugh, it might be interpreted as 'learning to manage one's condition'  :f_winkeye: )

Sunny and DD, totally get what you're saying about overlaps;  I was once told by a psychiatrist that I 'had a bit of everything'  :f_laugh:

No text yet to confirm receipt of form, but I did only post it last Thursday, so we shall see!

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: 09 Aug 2022 10:24AM »
Aargh, psychiatry and diagnosis...

Psychiatry went all American manual, category, sub-category, box-tick yonks ago, and there's an aspect I hate...

Let's say the psychiatrist suspects that the correct label for your problems is Oucher Syndrome.  The diagnostic manual has some meaningless blurb to describe it followed by 8 criteria.  If you meet 5, they stick the label on you, and if not, they go rummaging for a different label.

Bingo, the psychiatrist can five 5 boxes to tick, so you've got Oucher Syndrome.  Now every time you encounter a psychiatrist, a psychiatric nurse, or anyone else that knows or thinks they know what Oucher Syndrome is, you'll be treated as if you meet all 8 criteria.

In my case, with bipolar disorder, that caused immense problems, immense harm.

To give an example, not the most damaging long-term, but the easiest to describe.  You've all noticed how long-winded and explanatory I am.  It's nothing to what I'm like when I'm being 'assessed' or 'judged'.  I go into full-on defend & excuse myself mode.  I do it most when I'm most depressed, and when life experiences are getting to me most, particularly when people have been horrid to me (I don't mean everyday disagreements, I mean serious stuff).  But talkativeness and going off on tangents registers with mental health professionals as manic, so for years when I hit rock bottom emotionally, the psychiatrists would hit me with anti-manic lower-the-mood zombie-the-patient pills, making my mood even worse and leaving me less able to get myself out of whatever horrible life situation was depressing and stressing me.

And that happens with so many conditions.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen with physical conditions - far from it - just that it's a really nasty aspect of psychiatry.

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #26 on: 26 Sep 2022 11:56AM »
Hi Kizzy
Have you had any news about your PIP form yet?
I've not heard a thing. I'm hoping no news is good news........

Monic1511

« Reply #27 on: 26 Sep 2022 01:08PM »
Hi DD

You’ll probably not hear for at least 18 weeks, I think I saw a report saying the DWP were extending existing PIP awards by 1 year so your current award shouldn’t end either.

I think you did say you got a text confirming receipt of the claim, now it’s the hard part of waiting  :big_hugs:

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: 27 Sep 2022 04:55PM »
Wotcha DD - nope, not a sausage..  though now Monic has said about the likely 18-week wait (thanks, Monic) I shan't be watching the post with such trepidation now  :f_erm:

Been thinking the same about the 'no news is good news', ie at least I've not (yet) had a summons to see a 'health professional' or whatever they call themselves.  All my PIP/DLA claims to date have been decided purely on the evidence supplied on and with the claim form, so I remain hopeful!

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: 27 Sep 2022 05:04PM »
PS Sunny - I am exactly the same with the 'defend/excuse' mode you mentioned, especially having been deemed by MH professionals as 'intelligent and articulate', as if that were some sort of protection against extreme mental distress (actually, I think it can make it worse: as a trusted former psychotherapist told me, 'you can see what you're losing'.)  Too much knowledge a dangerous thing, perhaps?