Author Topic: Summer Fetes  (Read 1334 times)

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
Summer Fetes
« on: 25 Jun 2022 10:31AM »
Yesterday I went to a school summer fete with my grandchildren at their school.
It was the first one for two years since Covid and the first one experienced by my seven Yr old granddaughter.

I had such fun introducing her to Granny's favourite fete stall, the tombola!  :f_laugh:  And we won! She went away laden with questionable goodies, all the delicious joy of a tombola.

She bought her first raffle tickets and I had to explain how it worked.

We ate cakes, candyfloss and drank tea and had a wonderful time.
Today I'm contentedly knackered.

So, what's your favourite summer fete stall?

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Summer Fetes
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2022 11:43AM »
Home-made cake.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2022 06:18PM »
I don't think I've been to a summer fete since I was a schoolgirl!  I'm asssuming the weather behaved itself, DD  :62_62:

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2022 10:44AM »
I replied to this yesterday and today my post has disappeared  :f_yikes:

The weather was perfect, thanks Kizzy, and you are missing out on a treat at the summer fete. As Sunny said, who can't resist the cake stall and a strong cuppa  :cake: :cake: :item3678: .  Plus if you hang on towards the end when the crowds are thinned out then things are usually reduced  :f_laugh:

lankou

• Access All Areas
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2022 11:13AM »
In my experience fetes are fete worse than death.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2022 04:07PM »
In my experience fetes are fete worse than death.

:f_yikes:
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2022 04:14PM »
Actually, I struggled as I thought 'fetes, what fetes?' then thought of school fates, with next to no recollection except cake and tombola.  Then I vaguely thought of church fetes but I don't usually go to them.

Then, to my embarassment, I realised that I used to be on a committee that organised a community event each year (I was only on it for a few years) but we didn't call it a 'fete' because other things happened as well.  (I don't want to be specific.)

But a large part of it involved a park where there were lots of stalls and also some activities.  I picture that part of it it as a cross between a fete and a funfair without large rides.

My main role was liaising between groups and fundraising.  I didn't get involved in the 'what will we do and who will do it' stuff.

I picture myself going to the park and not being interested in the stalls - I went to meet the people, the community, the people I saw around me but didn't always get to chat with.

But that's not a stall.  Hang on...got it - I liked the not-a-stall best!

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2022 04:31PM »
I replied to this yesterday and today my post has disappeared  :f_yikes:
I assure you I didn't nick it  :f_winkeye:

These summer fetes tend to be held in the early-to-mid-afternoon - not my best time, generally having snoozage then  :f_doh:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2022 10:44PM »
No use us trying to meet up anywhere then. Early to mid afternoon is usually my peak time.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2022 04:54PM »
I assume you are an 'owl' rather than a 'lark', Sunny?  I'm deffo a morning person...

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2022 08:45AM »
What's a 'morning'? 

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2022 10:29AM »
Hang on, I've got it, it's a euphemism for 'middle of the night', which was when the army, for some mysterious reason, expected me to get up. 

Still, I suppose that getting up then means you can leave a gap between breakfast and lunch. 

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2022 01:15PM »
Do you think that contributes to your sleepless nights Sunny? A hangover from your army days?

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2022 02:14PM »
I don't think so, (I was just being silly mentioning it) but it's a valid and thought-provoking question and I think that other sorts of hangovers from the past are a factor when enmeshed with a sense of impotence and panic over getting things sorted.

Bed has somehow become 'place to fret' not 'place to go to sleep'.  I've relied too much on puzzles to blot things out, so then when I stop the puzzles and switch off the light, the thoughts flood back and swamp me.  But I'm weaning myself off the puzzles.

The irony is that as I think of it, times in my life when I've got up earlier have tended to be more productive.  The other thing that I sometimes do is split-sleep and that has worked quite well for me.

I wonder how I'd re-set my mental associations?  I could map it onto how I'd re-set my mental associations in relation to fetes.  For example, I didn't see any point at all in tombolas until I re-conceptualised them not as trying to win but as making a donation.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2022 06:19PM »
What's a 'morning'?

:f_laugh:

Regarding a 're-set', maybe stop altogether with the puzzling in bed - you could still do puzzles at another time of day in another place to break the link - and pick up a book or magazine to just read until you're tired enough to nod off?