Author Topic: Has anyone here had their medical records destroyed in a fire.  (Read 1350 times)

lankou

• Charter Member
This may seem a silly question but I am trying to determine the prevalence of people who try and claim disability benefits having had their historical medical records destroyed in a fire at a doctors office, a hospital or similar?
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2014 04:51PM by SunshineMeadows »

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
That is a good question but no my medical notes followed me when I moved down to the Midlands.

My hospital notes did go 'missing' when I was 14 and instead of the orthopedic consultant shouting about me walking properly he shouted about it being too late do do anything to help me. It was a long time ago but it still affects me because there was no paper copy to request when I was in my 20s and wanted to know more.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Not destroyed in a fire, but the first hospital department to try to track down the cause of my pelvic pain lost my file, which was especially annoying as it had the result of my MRI scan in it.  I did wonder about it at the time, as it was the doctor who said my pain was 'psychological' who lost the file.

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
One set of my hospital notes were lost in Oxford and, as far as I know, never found again.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
NN

as it was the doctor who said my pain was 'psychological' who lost the file.

yes like the way I walked and moved was not CP but for attention..... I would love to be able to go back and tell that consultant what a  >bleep< he was. he was old then so must be dead by now.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
From my experience as a nurse, it is not common for records to go missing but it does happen and even 0.1% (for instance) would affect quite a lot of people across the population.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Lankou, no question that relates personally to us is 'silly'.  It is a good question.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Yes but it was a mistake I thought it was the tax office.  >lol<
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour