Author Topic: New Pets :-)  (Read 6261 times)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
New Pets :-)
« on: 02 Jun 2013 02:24PM »
I decided to start a new thread here in the Cafe rather than add these photos to the Pet Rehoming thread in talk.

We now have a new kitten and will probably be calling her Zuzu, but willl see how that goes first, most cat owners will know what I mean about cats having several names.

Zuzu is from the RSPCA animal shelter, which still has a lot of kittens and of course cats, dogs  and other animals available. The adoption process was easy and straight forward  eg no problems over me being disabled.

Zuzu is a confident kitty apart from when it comes to the cat tray and she has so far pooped in the pet carrier which we left on the floor for her to hide in if she wanted to and she also peed on the bed. She is still only little so plenty of time to sort out toilet training.

Photos here  >attachment< click photos to get larger version.

Jockice

• Charter Member
Re: New Pets :-)
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jun 2013 02:40PM »
Very cute!

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jun 2013 02:43PM »
Zuzu is absolutely beautiful!

As for the litter tray issues, it could just be a reaction to her new environment, or she may simply be one of those cats who dislike being visible while using the tray. George tends to relieve himself behind hedges or in areas with long grass when out - probably to hide himself from potential predators while he's comparatively vulnerable. We use an ordinary room-screen to create a private area for the tray when he needs to be kept in for a few days. Zuzu might prefer a covered tray, and these are pretty easy to get hold of.

Thanks for those lovely pictures, and keep us updated on her progress >thumbsup< >blackcat<

starsmurf

« Reply #3 on: 02 Jun 2013 03:37PM »
Awwwwww!  She's gorgeous!

I'm sorry to hear about the litter tray problems.  If she's not using the tray at all, it could also be a problem with the litter you're using.  You could call the shelter and ask what they use.  Another possible problem is if the litter is painful on her paws, she won't use the tray.  I know my sister had a problem with her cat until I suggested that she stop using the wood pellet-type of litter.   Cats usually like a litter that feels as much like sand as possible.  I use Sophistocat Clumping Gold.  It seems expensive but it clumps so well that you don't need to clean out the tray as often as with other forms.  It also smells a bit like baby powder.

If she's using the tray to pee but not to poop, then it's likely to be more about claiming her territory than litter training, especially as she pooped in the carrier and on the bed.  She can smell your other cats and is using this as a way of trying to make herself feel safe.  The bed will smell of you so she mixes her smell with yours and associating the two of you.  By pooping in such an obvious place, she is sending a visual signal that this area is hers.

It's often done by nervous cats whose owners go away for a few days and get a neighbour to pop in and feed the cat.  The cat is already stressed by the owner's sudden disappearance and is overwhelmed when there is an "invasion" by the neighbour.  The owner returns to a horrible surprise and thinks the cat has done this as a "dirty protest" to punish them for leaving.  Zuzu has been taken away from her family and knows that you have other cats, so she feels very scared.

You could try a Feliway diffuser, you can get them for less online than you pay at a vets or in Boots.  It contains a synthetic form of the pheromone that cats secrete from the glands in their cheeks and on their chin.  If you've ever seen a cat go into a room and rub against the furniture, they're making the place smell like home.  The diffuser can calm cats down and as a bonus, it is often used in shelters, so it may smell familiar to Zuzu.

I hope that's of some help.  Good luck and please keep us updated about her.
Look carefully at the avatar, note what's barely visible in the gap in the rings.  I've highlighted it for you.

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jun 2013 07:28PM »
Awwww Sunny, Zuzu is sooooo cute.   

She will soon get the hang of the litter tray issues.  She is very young and may just need some time to get used to your other kitties and dogs, and also her new surroundings.

I Agree with starsmurf about the feliway difusser. I used one with my cats, it seemed to make the timid one feel more secure and calmer.

I bet you are loving having a little kitty in the house again.   :-) 

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jun 2013 07:33PM »
She's got a very pretty face.  I hope she soon settles down and feels at home.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 02 Jun 2013 07:43PM »
Awww, she is absolutely adorable  >love< . I also use the wood pellet litter for Alfie but I know that several members of the cat forum use chick-crumb feed as litter.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 02 Jun 2013 08:45PM »
I once had a cat that looks very similar.  *sniff, sniff* He was called Timmy and I had him from a kitten.  He was just as cutsie as Zuzu and lived for many happy years.

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 02 Jun 2013 10:03PM »
Very cute indeed! Congratulations on the new arrival! The more I see photos of other kittens the more I think my Luca must have been a bit disturbed really!

Richard_D

« Reply #9 on: 02 Jun 2013 10:30PM »
I wish you and Zulu Zuzu all the best.  >hugs<
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2013 03:31PM by Dark_Divinity »
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 02 Jun 2013 11:25PM »
 >bighugs< too tired to update now will do so in morning, by which time Tigs might let me type lol.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 03 Jun 2013 09:50AM »
Good morning all,

Lots of good replies about the tray issue thank you. I think Zuzu was unsettle and forgot what a tray was for, she pooped and peed inside the pet carrier which is like a covered tray, when I removed that she pooped on the bedding on the floor near the covered tray we were put for her to use. I think peeing on the bed was a oh no I need a pee and then she just peed near where she was.

The covered tray was also a corner tray so that might have confused her as well as the cat litter smelling and feeling different, its a fullers eartch clumping time. I put a oblong tray with adult not kitten cat litter in and then we started with the litter traying thing of putting her in the tray when she let one off and the stinky smell indicated she need to use the tray. Her poop is very very stinky but then she is kitten.

The Feliway plug ins are a great idea and I was going to get one but then forgot when I was in the actual pet shop  >doh< should get one later today.

Starsmurf,

Your description of a dirty protest explains why the cats Kizzy looked after a while back we so messy. Zuzu has been sniffing the floor and furniture and will be able to smell the other cats and dogs even though they have not been allowed in there with her yet.

NN,

What you said about George is really interesting I have left the covered tray in one corner of the room ans the ordinary tray with less cat litter in near the door,

Milo our ginger tom seems put out that there is another cat in the house and I cam going to have to take it slowly with introductions and do better with him than last time. I want him and Zuzu to be friendly rather than have a okay you live here too truce.

Auntie,

>hugs< Zuzu does look like Toby a cat I had years ago and also Daisy but thankfully she has a personality all of her own so I only called her Daisy once.

DG,

The more I see photos of other kittens the more I think my Luca must have been a bit disturbed really!

Did he hide a lot?

DD,

LOL Mr Sunshine was talking about Zuzu and pointy sticks and I did not get the joke so he explained by saying Zulu, I want her to be a strong and able kitten who has a good life. Without any imperialists turning up.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 03 Jun 2013 09:57AM »
Your description of a dirty protest explains why the cats Kizzy looked after a while back we so messy.

It was truly horrific - 'dirty protest'  >lol<  I like that..

>x-fingers< for as uneventful house-training as possible (oh, and also acceptance by Milo!)

Minniehaha

« Reply #13 on: 03 Jun 2013 05:21PM »
It was truly horrific - 'dirty protest'  >lol<  I like that..

Me too!  >lol<

Zuzu is absolutely gorgeous, Sunshine.  :-)

Richard_D

« Reply #14 on: 03 Jun 2013 06:05PM »
I want her to be a strong and able kitten who has a good life. Without any imperialists turning up.

I am sure that all of us will make sure no mints will go near the new kitten.  :-)
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.