Author Topic: Support Group for blind/partially sighted? confused!  (Read 1910 times)

brumjane

• Bronze Member
Hi all

I know many of you are members of Benefit and Work Forum and am somewhat confused over a debate on that site regarding blind  and VI people being placed in the support group.

Apparantly an amendment back in November indicates that if you cannot read 16 point print, ie problems with communication you will qualify for support group, previously it was thought to be that you had to be both deaf and VI to qualify.  But confusion seems to be arising over the correctness of this via various members and even the RNIB.

Does any one know what is correct.  I have an interest being VI myself (macular degeneration) and currently on IB awaiting the dreaded migration to ESA.  Many thanks Jane

Sofie

Re: Support Group for blind/partially sighted? confused!
« Reply #1 on: 01 Feb 2012 01:10PM »
The rules have changed now; so it's possible to be just VI and get into the support group.

I am struggling to find the support group descriptors - that is what you need. To meet one of the descriptors or be exempt.

Otter

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 01 Feb 2012 09:14PM »
to be VI the cut off rate for type should be 12- most things are in a lot less than 12
to be SVI generally means that you can't see the piece of paper so having type in 12 is no concern

I hate it when the sighted put in these guidelines, they should leave it to us blindies

the other decision of the moment is ditching SVI, most of us prefer blind, SVI sounds like a sexually transmitted disease!

I can remember when SVI first came into circulation, a lot of blindies got really worried, we understood we were blind, but then they were telling us we had a SVI which was really bad, and yep you guessed it we were sent a printed leaflet to explain the difference

Sofie

« Reply #3 on: 01 Feb 2012 10:04PM »
the other decision of the moment is ditching SVI, most of us prefer blind, SVI sounds like a sexually transmitted disease!

>lol<

I can remember when SVI first came into circulation, a lot of blindies got really worried, we understood we were blind, but then they were telling us we had a SVI which was really bad, and yep you guessed it we were sent a printed leaflet to explain the difference

I remember SVI came in around the time I was registered as partially sighted. I don't think I know anyone who has used the term SVI. Everyone just says blind, sight impaired or visually impaired.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 02 Feb 2012 09:04AM »
I have an aquaintance who calls herself 'blind' - she hates 'visually impaired', especially as she has no vision at all (not even light perception). She also has a giggle when people tell her that she should get a 'blind dog'  >lol<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 02 Feb 2012 09:42AM »
Morning BrumJane,

Welcome to Ouch Too

You can find more information about the ESA descriptors on this link.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@disabled/documents/digitalasset/dg_177366.pdf

If you start on page 24 it is the descriptors for the support group. The descriptors are numbered and then 'examples' given.

1. Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid can reasonably be used.

Cannot either:
(a) mobilise more than 50 metres on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion; or
(b) repeatedly mobilise 50 metres within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion.

This is pretty straightforward to understand, the Visual impairment one is not so easy.

7. Understanding communication by hearing, lip reading, reading 16 point print or using any aid if reasonably used.

Cannot understand a simple message due to sensory impairment, such as the location of a fire escape.

It is therefore about the consequences to ability to communicate rather than simply not being able to read something.

Otter

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 03 Feb 2012 12:05AM »
yep blind dogs for the guides

the only time I have heard SVI used with good affect and proving it is an amercianism was in the Jim Henson Muppets' Treasure Island

enter Blind Pugh
Rizzo "look its a blind fiend!"
Gonzo "I think they prefer severely visually impaired fiend!"