Author Topic: Thank you for coping with my long posts  (Read 286 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Thank you for coping with my long posts
« on: 11 Oct 2021 06:27PM »
I'm aware that my posts can be very long.

Be thankful you don't get to interact with me orally - I'm worse.

But people who tolerate my longwindedness and either respond or scroll on by without any awkwardness about not responding are greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Thank you for coping with my long posts
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2021 06:37PM »
I learn so much from your posts  :f_hug:

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2021 08:44PM »
 :f_hug:
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2021 08:31AM »

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2021 10:19AM »
 :f_laugh: :f_laugh: :f_laugh:

I really needed that laugh today - thank you!

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2021 12:16PM »
:f_laugh: :f_laugh: :f_laugh:

I really needed that laugh today - thank you!

When anyone makes the dreadful mistake of asking me how I am, I always reply how long have you got.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2021 06:20PM »
Be thankful you don't get to interact with me orally - I'm worse.

:f_yikes:

I don't always have the concentration to read the longer posts, but the ones I have managed do make some very good, well-thought-out points, so thank you for taking the time  :thumbsup:

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2021 09:13PM »
When anyone makes the dreadful mistake of asking me how I am, I always reply how long have you got.

I like that one.

I find it difficult when people ask me how I am to work out whether it's a phatic question or actually wanting to know.  I like phrases such as "Better days, worse days."  Then if they really want to know, they can ask.  If they're not up to a half hour speech, they can move onto a different topic. 

(If 'phatic' isn't in your vocab, it means a word or phrase where the literal meaning is irrelevant or largely irrelevant, it's used socially.  E.g. you are at a formal function.  "How d'you do?"  Do you actually want to know how they're doing or are you just being polite?  Or you're trying to get through a crowd.  "Sorry!" you say to the people around you as you squeeze through.  Are you actually sorry or just being polite?)

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2021 08:16AM »
I am having my third Covid vaccination today. (22 miles away) In the information pack it states "You'll be asked some questions about your medical history." 
I am tempted to answer thick file they will find out at post mortem.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2021 11:26AM »
I am having my third Covid vaccination today. (22 miles away) In the information pack it states "You'll be asked some questions about your medical history." 
I am tempted to answer thick file they will find out at post mortem.

:f_laugh:

I phoned my GP surgery the other day and spoke to a GP I don't know.  I explained at the start of the call that I'm very longwinded, so I've written a short list of what to say, first the problem, then what I'm doing with self-help, then what I'm seeking.  The doctor was wonderfully patient, which let me go through it really quickly without going off on tangents.  Win-win for both of us.

The response was clear and helpful and I was given an appointment for today with, I think, a different doctor.  I hope they'll also understand how to handle me as well.

In relation to one problem I had a couple of years back, which I thought had developed over time and had quite a few possible factors, I drew up a table with a column for approximate date (by about six month to year phases), a column for something that happened, a column for possible problem/effect.

The whole thing was a page, but actually with loads of space round the words and 13 point font.  There were abbreviations which work in print, e.g. L for left, which a doctor's brain will absorb without needing to put the actual word to it. It worked a treat.

By contrast, a neurologist I saw couldn't get his head round my having given him loads of info as a prĂ©cis, and kept asking questions that were answered there.  It was only later I realised that it was so his students could learn the standard questions, but at the time I was furious, because the other point of that is to avoid the situation (not rare) where I mishear the question so give the wrong answer.

Still, I bet you can't match my obsessive 'doctorate thesis' of a 35,000 word addendum to my PIP application.  (Yes, I know a doctoral thesis can be 2-3 times that, but it can be that length if also accompanied by research information etc.)

No, second thoughts - did you write on the form in tiny words, writing three times as much in the additional information boxes as I typed in my addendum, and outdo my 20 pages of photocopied evidence by a factor of five?

On the edge

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2021 03:01PM »
Be like me, keep it short.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2021 05:07PM »
Be like me, keep it short.

Sorry, could you clarify?  I'm having trouble with the concept.

:f_whistle:

On the edge

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2021 11:42AM »
 :biggrin: