Author Topic: Gap in the greeting card market  (Read 146 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Gap in the greeting card market
« on: 01 Oct 2021 10:14PM »
I was searching again for a suitable card for a friend and in the end gave up and made one.

So many different sorts of shops sell cards.  Oodles of cards.  Lots of different sorts.  Birthday cards, seasonal cards, thank-you cards, congratulations cards, sorry you're leaving/retiring cards, get well cards, with sympathy at your loss cards etc.

But where are the "Sorry you're about to pop your clogs" cards?

What do you send someone who discovers they're dying, no cure, but not so fast there's no time to send a card?  Surely that's a very common situation, so why no cards for it?

Perhaps I should just start sending such friends a With Sympathy card with a picture of a coffin on it and a message inside like "See you at the funeral."  Anyone that couldn't handle that sort of ghastly humour probably wouldn't be my friend in the first place.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member
Re: Gap in the greeting card market
« Reply #1 on: 02 Oct 2021 07:54AM »
There have been times in my life when I wish a "Die You Bastard" card had been a available.
On a more serious note I have two long term friends who could cark it at any time who live too far away for me to visit, I make sure I phone them at least once a week.

ally

« Reply #2 on: 02 Oct 2021 10:18AM »
I was in that situation over twenty years ago, when my friend was dying in a hospice.  Sending a birthday card full of birthday wishes for a good year ahead, when she’d be lucky to last a month, was awful.  I sent a blank card with the flowers she loved on the front.  I still think of her, especially when I’m feeling down at times.  I still miss her.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 02 Oct 2021 12:19PM »
...I still think of her, especially when I’m feeling down at times.  I still miss her.

Thank you for saying that because you've just suddenly made me see something differently.  I have had some very close friends that died and I still miss them but it's not a topic that usually gets discussed, particularly in my life where something thrown at me again and again by mental health professionals and lots others around me was what I'll epitomise as "Get over it."

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 02 Oct 2021 12:23PM »
There have been times in my life when I wish a "Die You Bastard" card had been a available....

Ooh, yes!

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 02 Oct 2021 12:58PM »
I think that's why the likes of Moonpig and funkypigeon do so well because you can choose the words. Having difficult relationships with relatives it was always difficult to buy cards with their title as in brother, sister or mother because the lovey dovey words I did not mean so I used to have to buy them cards without their position in my life on.