Forum > Talk

A neat dodge for the antivaxxers

(1/1)

Sunny Clouds:
Have I mentioned that when I was at school, I was told I was going to have a rubella jab, but then I chanced upon an absolutely first class wheeze for getting out of it.

What I did was I got myself a really high temperature, lots of pretty spots, and an impressively sore and icky throat. 

It was really effective.  I was able to hide in bed for three weeks or so and bunk off my vaccine. 

So I reckon the covid-19 antivaxxers could easily get out of this scary new jab.  Go to some discos, pop festivals and football matches, get drunk and hug lots of strangers, claim exemption from wearing a mask wherever possible,  make sure you don't wash your hands etc.  Hey presto, in no time at all you'll have a brilliant excuse not to have the jab.  Even better, you'll get to try out state-of-the art equipment that looks like it's out of a sci fi film.

Ah, but if you do that, they may still try to force an annual variant jab on you, or want you to take a mixture of these obviously dodgy jabs.  Well you can go one better.  From what I've read online, none of the major religions have any info on jabs in the afterlife, which suggests that death could be an effective antivax tactic and even better, if you're a covid-denier too, you can do it at home so you won't have to worry about whether someone's going to try to put you in a hospital that according to your preferred sources of information has been empty since the plandemic started.

That being said, it all seems a bit arduous to me, and at least a trip to the vaccination centre is an excuse for a walk through the park, then an opportunity to enjoy some nice architecture, plus, best of all, an opportunity to look smug "See, I'm jabbified!"

(I know Ouchers won't misunderstand my daft humour, but for the benefit of any lurkers, I am not recommending illness or death as preferable to vaccination.  Even with just rubella, I was, as we used to say, proper poorly.)

KizzyKazaer:
'Jabbified' - I like that, will drop it into further conversations I have about Covid vaccination  :biggrin:
Still don't get why some of these anti-vaxxers remain so adamantly against a jab despite all the latest figures showing that jabbified people are less likely to become seriously ill/require hospitalisation - they ought to get off their Internet conspiracy theory sites and grow up  :f_doh:
What's needed is for one of their prominent number, like that stupid old fart who happens to be Jeremy Corbyn's brother, to get so very ill with Covid-19 that they have to go on ventilators.  That might give some pause for thought.

Sunny Clouds:
I think that there are some very logical reasons why antivaxxers are anything from cautious to hostile.  I may disagree, but I can see how easily it can happen.

1. There were already concerns about vaccinations thanks to the MMR scare.  Our government, like others, was on a hiding to nothing about MMR, because if they started offering single jabs, it could be interpreted as meaning the MMR scare had some truth behind it, and it could also put parents off getting their child have multiple vaccinations. 

I know an intelligent woman, educated to postgraduate level, and normally very sensible, who doesn't trust the MMR because she thinks more than one vaccination at once can be dangerous.  She gave me to understand that no one before me had ever pointed out that our immune systems have to learn to fight off oodles of different infections every day of the week anyway.

2. The concerns about the speed at which the vaccines have developed are logical in the absence of explanation about sars-cov-2 and the earlier sars-cov-1, until now just known as sars.  Some of us understand that covid-19 is an infection/disease caused by a virus called sars-cov-2, but in all fairness there's a logic to saying just covid-19 or even just covid for both the disease and the virus.  However, that has meant that when people think how fast the vaccine has been developed, most don't know that since this virus is basically a variant of an existing virus that's been around a little while and for which there's a vaccine, the scientists had a head start. 

3.  It's a reality that in parts of the world, there's a new variant of measles that's linked with a measles vaccine.  It's easy to then struggle with a seeming conflict in your mind between messages that vaccines protect people and can even, long term, wipe out some diseases, and what you read/hear about people getting ill anyway or new variations of illnesses.  You can think that you're being lied to about them working, or maybe even think there's something dodgy or dangerous with either vaccines in general or ones you think are heavily promoted by people or organisations you don't trust.

4. There are quite a few anti-antivax videos on Youtube, and presumably elsewhere, that promote a message of "This public figure campaigned against vaccines and didn't have one and now he's got the virus, which he wouldn't have done if he'd been vaccinated."  That doesn't help to get the message across that vaccination isn't about 100% protection.  At least in this country, some public figures are working to spread the message not that the vaccines stop you getting the virus, but that they vastly reduce the likelihood of your dying from it, but given that I gave up on government televised briefings and on rubbish BBC online articles early in the pandemic, I find it easy to see how some people might then turn only to a few outlets not a range and not pick up on this message.

5. Sadly, for decades at least, 'big pharma' has had a very nasty reputation.  Scandals, frauds, rip-offs etc.  Most of us have heard of quite a few and I wonder whether more than a very small minority of people have heard of none. 

6. Then there's lack of trust in politicians.  Here's where I go into my standard spiel on 'conspiracy theories'.  I believe they exist because the reality is that throughout recorded history, powerful people have networked and colluded to accumulate money/wealth and power.  It can be a bit of a toss-up when a new conspiracy theory arises whether, in due course, it will turn out to be an exposé of a scandal.  I think, though, that with the vaccine, it helps to remember that the powerful don't have to fake a pandemic, they just have to wait for one to come along.

7. There's been scaremongering with lies about what's in the vaccinations.  People have been targetting different groups, e.g. telling Christian evangelists, particularly in America, that the vaccines all have human embryo tissue in them, telling Muslims and Jews that the vaccines have pork in them, telling Hindus that the vaccines have beef in them etc.   And when it comes to individuals passing this on, it can be difficult to know which of the untruth spreaders genuinely believe it, and which are nasty liars.

All that being said,I'm 'pro-vaccine' and encourage others and do my best to give people the facts as I understand them so they can better research the truth from reputable sources.  I just wish that the message being given were more along the lines of "Vaccines aren't perfect and don't provide complete protection, but sometimes we're lucky and they wipe a disease out, and if not, a lot of lives are still saved and a lot of misery prevented."

Sunny Clouds:
BTW my favourite new word is coviddy-dedded.  "Hello.  It's good to see you've not been coviddy-dedded yet."  It somehow feels less harsh than "Hello.  I'm glad you're not dead yet."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version