Forum > Talk

BBC moan (plus thread-drift)

(1/9) > >>

Sunny Clouds:
Here we go, a thread for letting rip about the BBC and disability since OtE and I were, I think, at risk of diverting a different sort of thread.  It won't bother me if it goes off on a tangent about other media outlets.

My personal moans about BBC and disability -

1. Having drop down menus across the top of the screen for main topics, then disability hidden as a sub-topic under 'more'.  Why not either integrate disability stories into other topics such as news and have a combined one such as turning 'health' into 'wellbeing' for stories that don't fit 'news'?  If it comes to that, is new wheelchair technology 'disability' or 'science'?  I'd rather see it under the latter.

2. Those wretched BBC programmes that pop up in my Youtube recommendations "What not to say to people with..."  I think the very theme of it makes disabled people seem touchy and can inhibit conversation.  I'd rather someone dropped a clanger than avoided talking to me lest I took umbrage.

3. The increasing use by the BBC of background 'music' drowning out speech.  I appreciate that it seems to be fashionable on various news and documentary outlets I encounter on Youtube to do this, but that doesn't make it right. The answer if you complain is that you should use subtitles, but given that subtitles go over the screen image, they can block out important parts of what you're watching.  Why no option to have them running across the bottom of the screen under the video?  It's not like that would be difficult with modern technology.  

4. If you try to complain about BBC policies over these things, they tell you you can't raise general issues about policy, you have to complain about specific programmes. I think it will take legal action under equality law to stand a chance of changing it, and even then (showing my political bias) not very likely with those currently in power, aligned closely to a government that kicks disabled people at every opportunity.  (As it does others with disadvantages, be that social disadvantages or financial disadvantages or whatever.

KizzyKazaer:

--- Quote ---3. The increasing use by the BBC of background 'music' drowning out speech
--- End quote ---
Oh, how I detest this, and also actors mumbling so you have to rewind three times - and turn up the volume to the extent it might annoy the neighbours - just to catch what's been said... and I'm not even hard of hearing, so what it must be like for those who are :f_doh: Don't the sound engineers check this sort of stuff?

Sunny Clouds:

--- Quote ---Don't the sound engineers check this sort of stuff?
--- End quote ---
I wondered this a while back about something different - call centre telephone music and pre-recorded messages.  What I concluded there maps onto this as well.

I think that the sort of people that do jobs that involve recording and approving stuff in a range of contexts including television programmes and other not-making-music recording/broadcasting probably have very good hearing and very good sound-discrimination.  If not, why do that job?

Further, they probably normally listen to what they record or edit or approve on very good equipment.

Then sadly, all too many don't seem to take on board that an awful lot of other people don't share their good hearing and good equipment.

I daresay a few don't care but my guess is that those are in a minority.

Sunny Clouds:
I'm laughing at myself.  I don't watch much BBC stuff these days but just after posting here earlier today, I went on Youtube and a short BBC video about chronic-condition influencers popped up and I watched it.

You guessed it, it had music over the voices.

It was also very poorly written and presented.  Further, reading the comments, I think they shot themselves in the foot. 

The basic premise was rather vague along the lines of some people with chronic conditions objecting to some sort of trend in chronically ill influencing that was being portrayed by the programme as in some way fake or leaping on a bandwagon.

But the comments below pointed out that two influencers whose sites they briefly showed on screen had been posting/influencing long before their conditions came up. 

So it was badly presented, badly argued, with badly chosen examples.  My gut feeling is that it will have alienated some viewers against what they may conceptualise as 'moaning anti-influencer disabled people'. 

Mentally I map my feelings about it onto my feelings about the 'What not to say to' series.  Probably doing more harm than good for disabled people.

That being said, I don't think the BBC is necessarily making a worse job of making programmes about disability issues than it is of making programmes about a lot of other issues, but I have to declare here my limited knowledge in that I watch very, very few BBC programmes these days.

bulekingfisher:
Hello Kizzy Kizzy Kazaer

I fully understand your frustration at the BBC for trying to hide disability under gobbudly Gluck I think the only way to solve this problem is a SOCIAL REVOLUTION  like if every disabled person was to refuse to use/attend a day center as that would affect ambulance driver's + attendant all the OT's, physio therapist's, +the cleaner's + a whole lot of union members including the N.H.S staff then va lot of big organisation's including the BBC would have to come to the negation table to Coppermine with us

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version