Author Topic: Spring  (Read 2047 times)

oldtone27

• Charter Member
Re: Spring
« Reply #30 on: 31 Mar 2021 11:36AM »
That gorse looks great and I think it smells great too. Like coconut. Good safe haven for small birds as well. Only downside it fights back if you have to trim it.

I don't have any in my garden but there is plenty on the road embankments around here and lots on local heath land.

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #31 on: 31 Mar 2021 10:24PM »
Hello OldTone27 

The picture you paint is idyllic + I wish II lived there but I am trying to teach the World that disabled can create + manage their own scoiety with out been molly coddled/patronised by an arrogant/self centred bunch of holier than thou people (do-gooders)

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #32 on: 01 Apr 2021 08:56AM »
I'm not sure idyllic is the right adjective, but this part of the south coast does offer some great countryside and beaches. Where I live is actually quite suburban, but it is mature suburbia with lots of green spaces and large trees.

Its also not far go into the depths typical southern rolling landscape and isolated coves. Even the towns are not to bad. Offers the best of both worlds I think.

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #33 on: 01 Apr 2021 08:12PM »
Hello Old Tone 27

Where I used to live with my mum we looked out on an old fruit orchard + all the local bird's would sit in the tree's + sing in the dawn chorus + I could lay in bed + listen to our feathered friend sing their heart's out as I had the fan-light window open + I really miss it here in Kippax

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #34 on: 02 Apr 2021 11:48AM »
Last year I let my back lawn run wild. It didn't produce much flower but the grasses were quite attractive and the seed heads lasted a long time.

This spring I noticed a few 'weeds' appearing, no flowers yet, plus a stray polyanthus. In addition I have  sown some wild flower seeds. Partly in a couple of tubs and the remainder scattered over the lawn particularly on a few somewhat bald patches.

The tubs should take ok. Not sure how well the lawn will as not all seeds will have landed on bare earth but some may have snuggled between the grass blades. It should be an interesting experiment. :wilted_rose:

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #35 on: 02 Apr 2021 01:03PM »
I've never attempted to attach a photo before so I have no idea if this will work but it seems particularly appropriate this spring!

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #36 on: 02 Apr 2021 01:09PM »
I like that. Sums up the British weather perfectly.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: 02 Apr 2021 09:30PM »
:f_laugh:  Fiz - but different clothes only daily?  This week I've been starting with a vest top and jumper in the mornings and changing into just a T-shirt in the mid-afternoon!

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #38 on: 03 Apr 2021 01:29PM »
Today the weather is all over the place. It started cloudy with s hint f blue and a strong cold breeze. Then is brightened followed by more cloud now its sunny again.

There is some warmth in the sun but only if you can get out of cold persistent wind. I noticed down by the harbour the tide was way out with lots of wading birds foraging along the water's edge.

Also foraging were a couple of blokes surrounded by what looked like giant worm casts. I think they were digging for lugworms. No surfers I could see; probably too shallow except for the shipping channel.

The Purbecks looked nice in the sun. Make the most of it, might be snowing by Monday. That would be unusual for here.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #39 on: 05 Apr 2021 05:05PM »
Having emerged from shielding and driv├Čng 15 miles to my mum's, I was amazed by how beautiful the magnolia blossom is this year. Just stunning. And the black thorn was smothered in flowers along the A27 as was the wild cherry. 

I felt like I had just come out of a long hibernation and the natural world had continued on it's wonderful journey without me. I felt some how weirdly disconnected from something I have always treasured, studied, trained and worked in.

So I felt the most glorious sense of freedom and delight that the natural world was continuing fine without my beady eye on it  :f_laugh:

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #40 on: 17 Apr 2021 08:41PM »
Hello Ditch Dweller

I get woken by pigeon's Cooing at 4am in the tree by my bedroom (I'm in a supported living house) + I leave the window on night lock so I get plenty of fresh air + I get a very good sleep

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #41 on: 18 Apr 2021 09:05AM »
It seems to me that blossom of all sorts has been particularly good this year, even if a bit later than last year. I am now awaiting the annual 'snow' fall; actually the tiny white petals of my amelancia which is in full glorious flower right now.

I also have some clumps of primulas which have more blooms than I recall from previous years. Stunning.

Next bloom to look forward to is the hawthorn bush. :wilted_rose: :wilted_rose:

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #42 on: 24 Apr 2021 12:46PM »
Just dropping in to say Hi .. Hi  :f_smiley:

I have been spending a lot of time sorting garden stuff which included fence panel painting and sorting out the garden more. 

It has been typical Spring weather here so it looks lovely warm and sunny outside and then once I am over the doorstep  :f_yikes: freezing.

Huggss to you all.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #43 on: 24 Apr 2021 01:15PM »
Daffs and grape hyacinths now gone over, but the bluebells are coming out. Mine are mostly in shade so a bit later than those along the sunny roadside.

Very pleasant outside although wind does have a slight chill.

Indoors I have plug bizzie lizzies which I hope to pot on this weekend as I have just had some compost delivered. Now got to lug it to were I can use it. It is heavy, unlike the proverbial bruvver.  :f_rose:

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #44 on: 24 Apr 2021 09:24PM »
That happens to be one of my most detested songs ("He Ain't Heavy, He's my Brother") - sentimental slopfest, yuk :thumbsdown:

It has been typical Spring weather here so it looks lovely warm and sunny outside and then once I am over the doorstep  :f_yikes: title=f_yikes freezing.
Yes, that annoying, nagging cold wind seems to be hanging around at the moment, very deceptive!