Author Topic: Furosemide Rant (again.....sorry) :(  (Read 12026 times)

Pandora Spocks

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
Furosemide Rant (again.....sorry) :(
« on: 09 Feb 2015 08:33PM »
I'm really at the end of my rope .....and hanging by my fingernails  >yikes<.  I'm so tired of having to change wet pants (twice today already)..I seriously cannot take it anymore.  I have once again asked the nurse to tell the doctor that I do not want to take furosemide, effective tomorrow.......and of course I had to listen to the lecture giving me all the reasons why I need to take it.  But I simply cannot deal with this issue anymore; it's driving me mad and really will push me into depression if it continues.  Yes I'm aware of health risks but I would rather live with those risks ......and have dry pants ... >thumbsup<

I've been  in bed for the past two days, having a cuddle with Murphy.  >dog<

Anyone else in need of rant, moan, whinge, etc. for whatever reason, please do join in.   >thumbsup<

>mug-tea< >mug-tea< >hot-coffee< >chocolate<

If I'm not here, I'll be back in bed.

>cs<

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Furosemide Rant (again.....sorry) :(
« Reply #1 on: 09 Feb 2015 08:57PM »
Having recently been put on furosemide I can quite understand you getting pissed of with it. Though I am less bloated looking with it.  It's making things difficult and now I carry a portable urine bottle in the car as its so unpredictable.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 09 Feb 2015 09:26PM »
 >bighugs< >bighugs<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 09 Feb 2015 10:24PM »
Pandora and Dic  >bighugs<  Could you compromise by taking a different, possibly 'milder', diuretic (such as bendroflumethiazide) rather than furosemide?

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 09 Feb 2015 10:38PM »
Speaking for my self I don't know how long the doctor intends to keep me on them and we haven't discussed alternatives he did ask me how I was getting on with them all I could think of to say at the time was that they tend to take me by surprise and bladder control can be a bit problematic he just went oh dear and changed the subject he has recently taken to making phone call appointments for me so I don't get to talk face to face with him so much.  I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing it's quite odd to get a phone call from your doctor totally out of the blue as it where.
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2015 10:41PM by Dic Penderyn »

lostfamily

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2015 07:37AM »
When it comes to medication my husband always says if something is not right or whatever he will stop taking it regardless what the doctor says he tells them but in the end he says it is his body & if it making worse or some other side effect it has to be his decision on when to take it
Just a thought & am not suggesting you do this but may be if you have to take 1 a day then do it every other or every few days so you still having some of the benefits but not so exstream effects either
Giving you a  >hugs<

I'm really at the end of my rope .....and hanging by my fingernails  >yikes<.  I'm so tired of having to change wet pants (twice today already)..I seriously cannot take it anymore.  I have once again asked the nurse to tell the doctor that I do not want to take furosemide, effective tomorrow.......and of course I had to listen to the lecture giving me all the reasons why I need to take it.  But I simply cannot deal with this issue anymore; it's driving me mad and really will push me into depression if it continues.  Yes I'm aware of health risks but I would rather live with those risks ......and have dry pants ... >thumbsup<

I've been  in bed for the past two days, having a cuddle with Murphy.  >dog<

Anyone else in need of rant, moan, whinge, etc. for whatever reason, please do join in.   >thumbsup<

>mug-tea< >mug-tea< >hot-coffee< >chocolate<

If I'm not here, I'll be back in bed.

>cs<

stalwart

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2015 09:54AM »
I was prescribed it yesterday............no sleep last night...........toilet, toilet all night.

Sunshine

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2015 10:57AM »
 >bighugs< to all who are having to deal with the need to pee and wet pants.

I actually got out with the dogs the other day and left Megs playing ball with Mr Sunshine whilst Luka and I whizzed off down the old railway line which is now a cycleway. By the time we went a mile and a half and back the cold had got to my bladder and the bounciness of the Powertrike made things worse so there was a fairly urgent need to pee. Getting back to the car, dismantling the Powertrike and waiting for Mr Sunshine to hobble back while all the time thinking I was going to pee myself was so frustrating. I am once again considering getting incontinence pads just so I can feel free from the anchor weight that is the need to pee.

The fact I cant just go into a thicket and pee like nature intended really annoys me  >angry<

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2015 11:12AM »
When it comes to medication my husband always says if something is not right or whatever he will stop taking it regardless what the doctor says he tells them but in the end he says it is his body & if it making worse or some other side effect it has to be his decision on when to take it

This of course is very true. For me furosemide is not a matter of life or death but I  take one medication that is so toxic that the company that produces it won't even allow taste tests to be done on it. But it can be a matter of life or death to me, if I were to stop taking it because of its side effects, one possible outcome could be a rather unpleasant demise by asphyxiation.

Sunshine I have found the portable urine bottle very handy in such situations I carry a large towel as well for privacy. It can be used by either gender. The bottle that is although so can the towel.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2015 11:14AM by Dic Penderyn »

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2015 11:57AM »
I carry one of these in my bag. It's expensive but given how unpredictable my bladder can be, it's been worth the money:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Care-Shop-Uribag-Female/dp/B0089X49K2/ref=pd_cp_d_3#customerReviews

>bighugs<

Sunshine

« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2015 12:18PM »
Sunshine I have found the portable urine bottle very handy in such situations I carry a large towel as well for privacy.

I bought a Shee Wee a couple of years ago and could not work out how to maintain privacy sitting in the car with my jeans half mast when using it, but now you mentioned a towel the solution is obvious  >tah<

NN,

I was not able to train my bladder to be okay with peeing into the SheeWee, eg SheeWee in place bladder has super control and nothing is leaking out, remove SheeWee and I am going to pee myself  >steam< having CP does not help. Do you have any tips for bladder training?

Everyone,

Back to the issue of medication causing a lot of visits to the toilet, I can see how it could be a side effect too far especially if a person's mobility is an issue. I find just having a stomach upset can be exhausting and make me feel like what is the point in leaving the bathroom is I am going to need to go again in half an hour or less.

If people on medications like Furosemide cut back on fluid intake hours before bedtime does that help or does dehydration result in a banging headache?

Frances

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2015 12:31PM »
Some of the things I find helps though it may seem strange ,
Take your meds early in the day, Drink a couple of cups of coffee as well.
I then find I am weeing like crazy in about 30 mins. But after about an hour it calms down and I probably will only need to go every hour or more for the rest of the day.
 Also when I have to go out I wear Tena Pants . They are so comfy and no leaks. Bit expensive but as I only get out about once every couple of weeks its OK.
 But I also wear them if I am in the garden as getting indoors isn't something I could do in the time my bladder gives me.
There are cheaper makes but they are much more obtrusive.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2015 12:45PM »
Although furosemide is preferably taken in the morning, you can take it at a time to suit you. For example, if you want to go out in the morning and don't want to have to find a toilet, you can delay taking your dose until later. However, it is best if you take it no later than mid-afternoon. This is because you will find you need to go to the toilet a couple of times within a few hours of taking it and this will disturb your sleep if you take it too late in the day.

Yvette

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2015 06:53PM »
I can't manage a Sheewee.  :-(

But the following is really good.  :-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uriwell-Personal-Toilet/dp/B005HGRUWS/ref=pd_cp_d_1

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2015 09:35PM »
That looks like a good little device Yvette. My 'problem' is that I have to be sat down and muscles relaxed in order to wee. I cannot go if I am squatting anywhere.