Author Topic: Is Toby Hines a bigot?  (Read 23959 times)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Is Toby Hines a bigot?
« on: 12 Sep 2012 11:51AM »
Bigotry : "a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry

From the Helston Advertiser
Editor/Advertising:
Toby Hines
01326 565570
email:
helstonnewsfabtconnect.com

Tuesday September 4,2012

Paralympians v Fake Disabled

We are a nation that also has a bunch of lazy "fake disabled" as I call them. You know - got a moiability car, blue badge, extra £100 per week of benefits, got a limp or mahoosive fat gut! They do not work or contribute to society one iota and just sponge and bitch all day while sitting at home eating cream cakes watching Loose Women. Whereas the Paralympics, full of genuine  people with some bad disabilities but not giving into them and actually trying to overcome them. God, what a novel idea! I have always said people with real ailments fight to appear and live normal. You can tell  someone has a real disability as they deny it

and

Inspirational example set

My faith was slightly restored in the nation as eventually I heard a few people talking about some of the Paralympians in the gym and saw some Facebook chatter about their amazing efforts. The closing ceremony was a spectacular event and a fitting end to a hugely successful London 2012, although paying for it all is another matter. There were numerous amazing stories but I quite like the one about Alex Zanardi, who you may remember from Formula 1 motor racing where he raced with Williams. He also won Champcar and Indy car series before having his tegs ripped off in a crash.He was fitted with false legs but was dissatisfied with them and designed his own bespoke pair. He returned to racing and won races in the Touring Car series white also teaming hand cycling. He went on to win a Paralympic Gold at the games for this sport. Fascinating comparison to the people 1 see climbing out of motability cars in town and at Tesco who should hang their heads in shame. Never give up but instead find a new path to take as you only have one life, fill it and enrich it no matter the obstacles.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2016 10:09PM by SunshineMeadows »

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Is Toby Hines a bigot?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2012 11:52AM »
Fascinating comparison to the people I see climbing out of motability cars in town and at Tesco who should hang their heads in shame.

Given that we know some Paralympians do have motability cars I guess Mr Hines is assuming they never shop at Tescos- so Sainburys maybe?

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2012 12:04PM »
You can tell  someone has a real disability as they deny it

?? How does that work, then? 

lankou

• Access All Areas
« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2012 12:10PM »
Fascinating comparison to the people I see climbing out of motability cars in town and at Tesco who should hang their heads in shame.

Given that we know some Paralympians do have motability cars I guess Mr Hines is assuming they never shop at Tescos- so Sainburys maybe?

I would like to know HOW he knows they are Motability cars, is he psychic? 
I know a lot of disabled people who ride motorcycles but they don't have DWP or DLA on them anywhere. In one case the prosthetic arm permanently attached attached to the left hand side of the motorcycle handle bars when it is parked is a bit of a clue, because the rider puts on his "best one" when he gets off of the bike.

boccius

• Diamond member
« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2012 12:51PM »
My word for him would be shorter and of Anglo-Saxon origin.

A

Ricardomeister

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2012 01:28PM »
An easy question to answer...Yes!

It is not surprising to see some bigoted hacks jumping on the Paralympics bandwagon. We had the bigot, Melanie Phillips:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2197331/Incredible-Ellie-Simmonds-triumph-culture-victimhood.html

who was both patronising, condescending and clueless. She keeps on about some supposed abuse of "disability benefit" saying that many are fit for work. Disability Benefit (or DLA to those that can be bothered to give it the correct name!) has nothing to do with fitness for work, as we all know. IB and ESA are sickness benefits, not disability benefits!!!!

Then we also had a rant from the bigot, Leo McKinstry, which was so bad that I actually started laughing!

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/344254/The-Paralympics-show-up-a-corrupt-benefits-system

boccius

• Diamond member
« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2012 03:18PM »
I wouldn't mind, but in common with most amputees, I don't even GET any bleedin' benefits! (Viz., just for a leg off, you get nothing; for two, you might, but not necessarily - although you'd probably qualify for DLA).

A

Sofie

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2012 03:21PM »
You can tell  someone has a real disability as they deny it

?? How does that work, then?

I don't get that either. I have friends with disabilities who talk about their disabilities.

oldtone27

• Access All Areas
« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2012 03:34PM »
Some people just talk rubbish either to be deliberately provocative or out of sheer ignorance. Problem is that if they repeat it often enough others get to believe it.

Sofie

« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2012 03:51PM »
From Ricardomeister's link:

In the water, she ceased to be a disabled person.

Eh?

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2012 04:23PM »
Thanks for those links.  I knew they would raise my blood pressure without even reading them!  Melanie Phillips is one of those people I find myself shouting at whenever she's on the radio. 

Minniehaha

« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2012 04:39PM »

Then we also had a rant from the bigot, Leo McKinstry, which was so bad that I actually started laughing!

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/344254/The-Paralympics-show-up-a-corrupt-benefits-system

What a jackass!  Not you, Ricardomeister - Leo McKinstrey!

No fewer than 77,000 drug addicts and alcoholics receive Disability Living Allowance because of their self-inflicted conditions, while claims for incapacity benefit are dominated, not by the physically disabled, but by those with mental health problems like depression, stress and behavioural disorders.

It would appear that not only is he trivialising mental health problems like depression, stress and behavioural disorders but is also implying that they're self-inflicted! 

I guess this guy thinks depression is nothing more than feeling a bit fed up.  And stress is just being a bit worried about things.  Oh, and people with behavioural disorders could stop being 'disorderly' if they really wanted to.  'They should all pull themselves together, by Jove!'

And what about those with physical and mental health issues?  'Malingerers, the whole damn lot of 'em!'

Now, I wouldn't wish my clinical depression, chronic anxiety disorder, and sciatica (amongst other things) on anyone ... but in this guy's case I'd make an exception.  Then he might know what he's on about!

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member
    • I Once Was a 20-Something Journalism Student
« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2012 05:04PM »
Whereas the Paralympics, full of genuine  people with some bad disabilities but not giving into them

Oh I see, the rest of us are just spongers because we let our disability rule our lives. Right, yes, well, in that case, tomorrow morning I'll spring out of bed, make myself a cup of coffee and go for a jog, shall I? I'll show my disability who's in charge!

(And then fall out of bed, scald myself with the kettle, but that's ok I can cool myself down with the bottle of milk i'll also end up pouring all over myself [I know this from experience] and end up in A&E but still, worth a go, right?)

Who's WITH ME YEAH!
A man got sick because of officiate.

boccius

• Diamond member
« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2012 05:08PM »
I can't suggest anything for your various ailments, Minniehaha, except to note that anyone capable of writing such elegant, properly spelt and punctuated English, must have most of their brain cells intact.

Which might be best kept to yourself, as our detractors would probably see it as a sign that you're 'not really disabled'.

With metta,

Allen

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: 12 Sep 2012 05:27PM »
From the Leo McKinstry article:

AND the anti-reform campaigners are in denial about the extent of this costly failure. They are fond of telling us that fraud represents just 0.5 per cent of disability claims, but that is a completely bogus figure.

Somebody obviously hasn't done his research, given that the 0.5% figure comes from the Government's own statistics:

http://statistics.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd2/fem/fem_preliminary_1112_revised.pdf