Author Topic: Just been reminded...  (Read 3482 times)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Just been reminded...
« on: 07 Aug 2012 05:00AM »
..that I am a medication-dependent mentalist, having forgotten to take the damn stuff last night  >doh<  I've only done that once before since leaving hospital two years ago, so I should have remembered the 'withdrawal symptoms' - insomnia.  Hence my posting at stupid o'clock  >erm<  Been awake several times during the night after problems dropping off in the first place; vivid dreams, night sweats, finally decided to get up and make a cup of tea and saw the pills on the table  >doh<

This is what can happen when I change my night routine just slightly - last night, I'd put the pills on the table instead of the worktop because I wanted the worktop free to make my yoghurt.  Something that simple, and I've done it before, lots  So  haven't a clue what distracted me after, because another effect of missing the dose at the appointed time is memory playing tricks on me....including being convinced that I have taken my meds. I've had them now anyway because I can't be doing with another three hours of this, so if I feel a bit sedated through the rest of the morning, tough.  I don't have to be anywhere, at least.  I enjoyed the 2 chocolate biscuits I had with my cuppa ..

Anyway, that's enough of a ramble.  Just to let you know I'm still in the Crip Club  ;-)

suessad

Re: Just been reminded...
« Reply #1 on: 07 Aug 2012 07:20AM »
So easily done Kizzy.   
Enjoy your sleep now and let us know all is ok later.  >hugs<

Becca7

« Reply #2 on: 07 Aug 2012 08:21AM »
Ive been there too - just takes slight change bit distraction! Hope you have a good rest.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 07 Aug 2012 09:36AM »
Thank you both - I did actually get back to sleep and stayed that way till just before 9 am.  Still rather muzzy-headed, but my afternoon nap will put that right.    It was worth taking the meds late rather than missing the dose altogether as last time I did that, I had 'breakthrough' unpleasant thoughts, so better to suffer a bit of extra doziness!

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 07 Aug 2012 10:03AM »
Kizzy,

I am glad you realised that you had missed the pills and took them. I know if Mr Sunshine misses, his his mood then his personality can change. Try not to be irratated at yourself about it eg working out the distraction or worrying about the consequences had the medication been completely missed.

I sometimes feel like being medication dependant is like being on a tether, but it is way better than the alternative. I have a small wood box with my medication in and after I take a does I turn the sheets the pills I have taken are in over and I also turn the box upside down. This is especially important when I take a strong pain killer like tramadol because it stops me taking too many.

Slightly off topic but when I first came to live here in the Midlands my house mate saw me picking up the wooden box and said no thanks, I was confused until he explained he thought I was about to offer him a splif.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 07 Aug 2012 11:36AM »
I am glad that you remembered your tablets eventually - better late than never. Nothing wrong with an afternoon nap - I often indulge in one  >sleepy< . One of my friends calls it a 'disco nap', far nicer than 'granny nap' I think  >biggrin<

Fizzbw

« Reply #6 on: 07 Aug 2012 11:42AM »
Glad you remembered! missing pills can have very unpleasant effects!

I've missed my trimipirime twice this week, never done it before and now twice!! makes me feel quite dreadful and as I'm remembering in the morning, I can't take another dose. And I forgot my time release tramadol as well this week, which really makes me feel horrible. I have my mobile phone timers on and all my pills in a plastic case. And I take out six fent lollies a day and know I can only add on one more and/or some oramorph. It's very easy to become confused and take too many so I try to be as stern as I can about always setting out my drugs and never winging it.

My mobile is usually invaluable for reminding me to take my meds, anyone else use theirs this way?

Fizzbw xx

devine63

« Reply #7 on: 07 Aug 2012 12:28PM »
Hi Fizz

yes I use the calendar function on my phone to remind me to take meds

regards, Deb

Danslatete

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #8 on: 07 Aug 2012 05:10PM »
I use a pill box and a mobile reminder. My kids seem to notice when i miss them and get me to check. I Have been having terrible trouble sleeping lately. I am dozing during day so i need to get into a strict routine of getting up early and remembering the drugs at the right time. Its amazing how much of a difference it makes.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 07 Aug 2012 06:19PM »
Have not long surfaced from a mammoth kip - four hours, bar getting up once to use the loo...  I am thinking after reading the posts here, I'm fortunate really because I only have to take one batch of pills once in a 24-hour period.   (Fizz, your regime sounds a bit of a nightmare  >erm< )  If I was having to take different meds at more frequent intervals, I'd get myself in a right old muddle - though those pill boxes with the days of the week listed on them would help, I'm sure.  Never thought of using my mobile phone to jog my memory....

One of my friends calls it a 'disco nap', far nicer than 'granny nap' I think  >biggrin<

Disco nap - that's interesting, how did she come by that name?  I do actually indulge in a 'siesta' every day anyway, and miss it if I can't have it, like on the rare occasions I go out for the day.  Part habit, part necessity to keep 'functioning' for the evening.

Hope you can get some better quality sleep soon, Danslatete!

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 07 Aug 2012 11:11PM »
If I accidentally miss taking my medication I know within a couple of hours.  If I do not take them then, oh woe betide me.  I start to go downhill very quickly and end up in bed.  The thing is I then have to remember that I have not taken my pills or that is that - I stay in bed as I cannot get up. 

I once ran out of pills and the receptionist would not let me see the Dr, and refused to let me wait until the end of surgery.  I was in such as state by then that I did as I was told! went back to bed and was there for three or four days, until I remembered that I keep emergency pills in the car.  So I now know how vital it is that I remember.

It is usually when my routine is upset, like a phone call whilst having breakfast, or going to bed too early to take the night-time lot.

Wot a lot of drug addicts we are.  ;-)

Sofie

« Reply #11 on: 07 Aug 2012 11:24PM »
I am so glad that my medication is taken when I need it and not every single day.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 08 Aug 2012 12:38AM »
I sometimes forget to take my morning antimad pills and take them at bedtime.  If I forget my bedtime antimad pills, I skip them completely.

The trouble is that without my antimad pills, to begin with, I feel great.  Oh the temptation to stop taking them completely.

But sleepers, ah, there's a problem.  I don't take them every night because they stopped being effective but I've been considering taking an over the counter remedy with hops and valerian, the tried and trusted home remedies.  Does anyone know if they're effective against what I'll now call Kizzy-night-syndrome?
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 08 Aug 2012 02:20PM »
Code: [Select]
Disco nap - that's interesting, how did she come by that name?
I guess a 'disco nap' is what you have before you go for an evening out. I spose these days no-one goes to 'discos' anymore though!

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 08 Aug 2012 03:22PM »
Disco nap

Sounds similar to a 'powernap' only power naps give a Ready Brek glow and a disco nap is more colourful  >magicfairy<