Author Topic: How To Beat Pain, BBC1 programme  (Read 10581 times)

Pentesalie

• Charter Member
How To Beat Pain, BBC1 programme
« on: 23 May 2012 04:03PM »
Next Monday, 28th May, BBC1, 7.30pm, 'How to beat pain'
no idea if this is a one off, or a series, but it's listed in the Radio Times.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: How To Beat Pain, BBC1 programme
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2012 11:40AM »
It sounds interesting. I just hope that it doesn't lead to the general opinion that pain is easily overcome and therefore not disabling...

Pyrotech

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2012 01:21PM »
Description from BBC programme site..   

Dr Jack Kreindler and Professor Greg Whyte tackle pain - one of the most common complaints in Britain. To reveal key facts about chronic back pain, osteoarthritis and acute pain, and give insight into how these debilitating conditions can be treated, these medical mavericks use each other as human guinea pigs in fun and often painful experiments.

Greg dons a pain-inducing 'osteoarthritis suit' and reveals the horrors of performing everyday tasks in it, while Jack enters the cage, going head-on with a man who is intent on inflicting acute pain.

So, when the doctors say it is going to hurt them more than it hurts you, this time they really mean it. And along the way Jack and Greg reveal useful facts and helpful approaches to treatment

Its showing two programmes, second one 30th May at 19:30.

and there are few clips on line now. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jhwtv/clips

Fizzbw

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2012 05:07PM »
So, making pain entertainment? Great....

Fizzbw xx

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member
    • I Once Was a 20-Something Journalism Student
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2012 05:16PM »
That is... horrifying, and yet I'm intrigued as to how the "Osteoarthritis suit" will work.
A man got sick because of officiate.

JLRRAC

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2012 09:16PM »
Perhaps we can all chip in and get IDS or Grayling a "Osteoarthritis suit" for their next birthday and lock them in it.

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member
    • I Once Was a 20-Something Journalism Student
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2012 11:13PM »
Perhaps we can all chip in and get IDS or Grayling a "Osteoarthritis suit" for their next birthday and lock them in it.

Where's a blasted Like button when you need it? This will have to do!  >thumbsup<
A man got sick because of officiate.

hossylass

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2012 12:23AM »
How about we get them an Iron Maiden instead?

(The torture implement, not the band - though we could also play them Barney the Dinosaur...)

twisty spine

• Charter Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2012 03:25PM »
This will an interesting programme somehow I get the feeling that all those "do-gooders" out there will say it is in our minds and we should be all down the pits in outer Siberia because we have illnesses and pain!! Still might be worth a look
bonjour tis me in france

Otter

« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2012 05:06PM »
oh great, I am just waiting to be told by someone the next day that they "know" how it feels - i.e. saw a TV programme on it

twisty spine

• Charter Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2012 08:16AM »
One of the worse terms in the world is "I know how you feel"  >steam< My Mil says she knows how I feel because I have two drains in my pancreas following an infection after surgery - how the  >steam< does she -she hasn't had this operation.  Still the DLA will have me back working next week as I am fraudster.   >steam< them all.
bonjour tis me in france

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2012 08:33AM »
I dunno, I reckon that there's something worse than 'I know how you feel', annoying though it is in its own way... and that's not being believed as to severity.  Having it insinuated that your pain isn't as bad as you make out and you could overcome it if you only tried harder and stopped feeling sorry for yourself  >angry<

Nice to see a quality bit of ranting and venting this early in the morning  ;-)

twisty spine

• Charter Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2012 08:37AM »
What do you mean early in the morning Kizzy -it is 9.30 here and I feel like ranting!!  No not really with her in the UK I am happy >biggrin< sorted my pain out being on me own for a day or two. 

My biggest pain is me old drain pipe - it hurts at times and how I long to get a shower so don't come to France unless you like Cheese >biggrin< >biggrin< >biggrin< >biggrin<
bonjour tis me in france

twisty spine

• Charter Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2012 08:40AM »
I dunno, I reckon that there's something worse than 'I know how you feel', annoying though it is in its own way... and that's not being believed as to severity.  Having it insinuated that your pain isn't as bad as you make out and you could overcome it if you only tried harder and stopped feeling sorry for yourself  >angry<

totally agree - how many times have doctors told me to  >steam< off( well not literally) Coming here (france) has helped me to get better -here they see you as a person not a number. Actually coming here means I am still alive, if the NHS had there way goodness knows where I would be today with me tum probs.
bonjour tis me in france

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2012 08:47AM »
how I long to get a shower so don't come to France unless you like Cheese >biggrin<

I'm sure you don't whiff that bad  >lol<