Author Topic: Healthy Lifestyle Drop-in Centre  (Read 1379 times)

ally

• Access All Areas
Re: Healthy Lifestyle Drop-in Centre
« Reply #30 on: 25 Jan 2022 05:51PM »
Fiz you’re perfectly right.  Sometimes, I think I spend too much time worrying about upsetting other people. 

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #31 on: 25 Jan 2022 07:38PM »
Guess what, Ally, you've sort of less-upset-ified me!  I worry about being too longwinded then thought "Ally's worried about upsetting people?  Oh, for heaven's sake, anyone that knows Ally knows she wouldn't deliberately upset people over stuff like this.  If anyone got upset by her views, they wouldn't read her stuff anyway..."

Hmm.  Maybe I worry too much about boring people or losing their interest?  They don't have to read what I write.

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: 25 Jan 2022 09:00PM »
PS I went in a few shops today on my way to and from a couple of other places such as the post office, and looked at chocolate cookies and biscuits.  I told myself no, no, no.  Another woman and I reading the packets agreed that we wish they'd simply label them calories per packet and that they'd do smaller packets.

Then I bought some 'low sugar' biscuits, kidding myself it makes much difference, but I bought two packets, yes, two, excusing myself because they were on special offer.  I ate both.  I've just looked at the packets.  2000 calories, give or take.  I bet if I'd read that before I bought them, I'd have left them on the shelf.  I was dishonest with myself.

This is what I was doing a couple of years back, stopped, started again, stopped, started again.

I'm so annoyed with myself and trying to say "Yes, but at least I now feel guilty and I now accept I've got to tackle it,  and at least I'm not doing it every day."

Next task - have another go at finding things I think of as 'yummy treats'.  Bananas were good for that until I started eating whole bunches.  I was doing well last year with a mixture of nuts & seeds & raisins but then started eating whole handfuls of the raisins.

The mad thing is that I don't feel better having eaten the biscuits, and I knew I wouldn't.  Is it like this when people who have an alcohol or tobacco problem use too much?  (I've got some wine in front of me.  I poured a small amount (maybe an inch or less) into the bottom of a mug and topped up with hot water.  I did that about four hours ago and have drunk a bit over half. 

I have to get to the bottom of precisely what triggers me about biscuits so I can do better.  I've managed to tackle most of my puzzle addiction by looking at each puzzle and, more and more, thinking "Oh, that's boring."  I conceptualised it as a waste of money to do puzzles I don't find interesting rather than a waste of money not to do all the puzzles.

Hang on, I'd forgotten - smoked mackerel feels like a treat.  I look at the price and think "Eek!"  But what the expletive am I spending on biscuits?  Ok, smoked mackerel will be my next treat.

Also, I didn't eat quite all the biscuits (no, that's not excusing myself) - but within the cartons, there are sachets of biscuits and there's one little sachet left.  I've just written the calories on it and put it in my kitchen where I'll see it every time I go in.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #33 on: 26 Jan 2022 09:46AM »
A lot of low sugar foods are high in fat or other additives in order to bulk them out and make them taste palatable.  It's always best to check the nutritional values on processed foods if at all possible and of course, the best option is to try to reduce your intake of these food items.
That's not always easy or practicable. I'm trying to manage my cravings for treats and sweet things by allowing myself these things only when I really, really need them.  I'm a little bit child like in that if I try and hide something like a bar of chocolate to eat later, I know it's there and so I'll be tempted to eat it sooner rather than when I really need it! So I'm afraid I rather ridiculously rely on my husband to hide the treats (I have absolutely no idea where his little hidey hole is!) away from my grubby little hands. I ask for them when I really need them!  It's a bit pathetic really, as I feel like I should be able to control my cravings but I just can't without help. Fortunately, my husband understands.

A couple of things I do have in stock most of the time are a bag of frozen mixed berries and Rowntrees fruity ice lollies. The mixed berries can be eaten on their own, with jelly, yoghurt, custard, porridge, however you wish to serve them and it doesn't take long for a portion to defrost. They are a really useful standby when you just fancy something but don't know what!
The ice lollies perform the same role for me too. Also, they are a great palate cleanser and thirst quenched after a meal. I've also found them useful for helping my headaches in some way. I think it's the cooling effect.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: 26 Jan 2022 06:03PM »
I woke in the night and ate the rest of the biscuits plus some others I'd got in the house for the neighbour who helps with practical stuff.

But this morning, I thought more about why.  I think it's finally dawning on me that whilst there is that more-ishness about highly processed food and sugar, actually for me, the biggest factor is laziness.

So today, I bought some overpriced stuff at the supermarket, including some small sachets of ready-prepared veg you put in the microwave for a couple of minutes, some ready-prepared salad, and some smoked fish.

I also got some instant soup sachets.  Yes, it's junk food, but having had half a dozen recently, I'd liked them and sitting here, slurping one, I realise that one mug of it makes me feel as satisfied as a whole packet of biscuits.

Weird.

Meanwhile, I've run out of zopiclone, so if I want more, I need to phone the GP to ask for it, but I've reached the end of my emotional capacity for coping with telephone calls with really difficult to hear people at the moment, and that includes a couple of the registrars at the surgery.

I tried a promethazine last night and having decided it didn't help, I've got rid of the rest of the packet.  That's not saying it wasn't worth trying.  Different things work for different people.

I'm not usually into cold stuff like lollies but maybe it's worth exploring.  Maybe it might shift my overall taste a bit.

Fiz

• Access All Areas
« Reply #35 on: 27 Jan 2022 01:42AM »
What dose of promethazine did you take sunny? And did you ever take it two nights running? 50mg would be an appropriate dose and with its long half life would be more effective on the second and third nights taking it.

Fiz

• Access All Areas
« Reply #36 on: 28 Jan 2022 04:23AM »
Monday afternoon I went to a mental health support group. I'm not doing well at the moment so I cried a lot. On the way home I drive by a supermarket and for the first time I caved to the emotional need to eat so ate rubbish. I dread to think how many calories. It's put me off going back to the group!

Yesterday I craved carbs. I was emotional and wondered whether Monday's carbs had set off carb cravings again as I have been fine without any since December 21st so twice in one week is weird though I worry that I am descending into crisis so maybe that's part of it. I ordered an Asda click and collect and that helped me ration what I bought as I wasn't passing shelves with temptations on. I bought two ciabatta rolls and ate them with butter and 50% reduced fat cheese. I had to forgo dinner but kept within the daily calorie allowance on the nutracheck app so things could have been far worse. Hopefully back on track today.

It's the emotions that make me crave comfort food which for me is carbs.

Fiz

• Access All Areas
« Reply #37 on: 30 Jan 2022 02:56AM »
Didn't weigh myself the previous week as there were visitors here so yesterday's weigh in was the first in two weeks. I've lost 0.2 lbs so hardly anything! But a loss is a loss and I did have a terrible eating day on Monday to recover from. I suspect if my weight loss is to continue I need to reduce my daily calorie allowance on the nutracheck app because a sedantary lifestyle is very different to my stagnant lifestyle and weight loss is slowing despite keeping to allowances, Monday excepted.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #38 on: 30 Jan 2022 11:15AM »
I never managed the counting calories thing.  I become too obsessed with details.  Is this a forty calorie apple, a fifty calorie apple, a sixty calorie apple?  Better weigh it.  Hmm, what about the other apples in the bag?   By the time I've finished fussing over the number of calories in everything, I've dramatically increased the proportion of my time spent thinking about food, so it turns weight loss into a distressing nightmare.

Whereas for lots of people, calorie counting helps.

Such an individual thing.

As for the promethazine, it didn't agree with me at all.  I had spasms with it and chucked away the rest of the packet.  Then I realised I'd forgotten to check drug interactions first and forgotten to check for physical symptoms.

But it's like so many things.  If you don't try it, how do you know whether it will help? 

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #39 on: 30 Jan 2022 11:34AM »
I like the calorie counting method as it gives me something to focus on and aim for. Fiz, I would be very interested in the details of the app you use to keep track please!  I think it would really help me. And I need to record my measurements before I start recording calories so I've got a measure of progress other than the scales.
It terrifies me to get the tape measure out because I've been trying to ignore the weight issue for so long that actually confronting it with real numbers on a chart is horribly daunting.

Today I'm taking my husband out for his 65th birthday surprise. I've booked us a full Afternoon tea with sandwiches, cakes, and scones at a local tea rooms. So I shall be definitely not be counting calories today!

Fiz

• Access All Areas
« Reply #40 on: 30 Jan 2022 06:00PM »
The app is called Nutracheck and states it had free use but the app only lets use to add 4 nutritional items a day so it's not effective using it for free. I paid for the year last June and suspect that I will renew it in June. You can pay month by month and cancel anytime with no notice too.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2022 07:42AM by Fiz »

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #41 on: 01 Feb 2022 12:58PM »
Thanks for the info Fiz. I'll check it out  :thumbsup: