Author Topic: Re- Covid19 testing, odd init?  (Read 619 times)

JLR2

Re- Covid19 testing, odd init?
« on: 25 Dec 2021 10:56AM »
The other day a notion crossed my mind that ran along the lines of using breath testing devices similar to breathalysers to test for Covid19. I was thinking if, as were are told, so much of Covid19 is spread through the exhalation of infected breath then could not a breathalyser be adapted to detect Covid?

Well I decided to put this question into google and somewhat to my surprise I discovered there are various countries around the world which are in the process of developing such devices. It is this that I find odd, why have we not heard anything regarding these developments in our news?

Seems to me there would be a whole lot more folk content to test for Covid19 using a ''non invasive'' device such as a breathalyser like device than want to go sticking plastic sticks up their nostrils. It's one thing for a doctor to do this kind of thing but for a numpty like me well I don't know for one thing just how far I'm supposed to push these sticks and where the top end of my nostril bumps into my brain (yes rumour has it I have a brain)  :f_smiley:   I did do a pcr test following my return from Berlin last year but I've no idea how well I did it, even though the result came back negative.

I hope the countries developing these devices are able to bring them into use for us all real soon.

I'm not sure quite what's happened to the test size but it appears to be smaller for some reason, hmmn...

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Re- Covid19 testing, odd init?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2021 11:44AM »
But would there be enough profit in them for cabinet members' friends?
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLR2

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2021 09:39PM »
I would not be surprised Sunny if some of Johnson's pals are trying to get hold of him to get contracts for the supply of any developed devices. Unfortunately these friends will have to wait till Johnson comes out of hiding.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2021 10:20PM »
I would love it if someone in a developing country found a way to manufacture those tests cheaply, to distribute them to poor people in poor countries, then, when they were into surplus quantity, sell them for oodles of dosh to rich countries.

I don't just dislike the corruption behind our government's 'chumocracy', I dislike the way in practical terms it messes up the suppy chain so that things like vaccinations are wasted.

Oh well, in the midst of all this ****  (insert your own preferred expletive) there's still bits of good here and there and some people still trying to help others.

I think the shove the stick up your nose thing is partly just getting the feel.  I find it feels weird but I've done enough LFTs to have a sense of where it goes now.  I don't like doing it, though.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLR2

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2021 07:49AM »
Ah the stick it up your nose routine  :f_erm:   Well so much for the designers of these things, they certainly didn't think about all us oldies with oor hairy noses did they?  Just how in the name o'the wee man am I supposed to collect a clean sample on one of these sticks wi'ma thick as a Peruvian jungle hairy nostrils?  :f_laugh:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2021 10:41AM »
Oh for heaven's sake, you didn't expect the test procedures to based on real people using them, did you?

JLR2

« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2021 10:10PM »
 :f_laugh:   Aye right enough Sunny, didn't I hear Johnson volunteered as a guinea pig to test these things?

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2021 10:19PM »
Oops, can't be relied on then.  Not, of course, that I'm suggesting he might ever just pretend he did or didn't do something.   :f_whistle:

Fiz

• Access All Areas
« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2021 06:22AM »
Turns out Boris wasn't critically ill with Covid at all. He was put in a PICU (paediatric) bed for privacy and the "treatment" he received was nasal oxygen at the low paediatric rate as that was all he needed. Although the media bigged it up as him being in 'intensive care" Boris never set the record straight and just lapped up the sympathy.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2021 12:20PM »
I wish I lived in a time and place where that would surprise me.

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #10 on: 28 Dec 2021 02:12PM »
I have completely lost faith in our current government to be honest and truthful about anything.

oldtone27

• Access All Areas
« Reply #11 on: 28 Dec 2021 02:56PM »
Apologies for my cynicism, but does anyone recall when we last had an honest and truthful government.

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #12 on: 28 Dec 2021 03:16PM »
Too true, Oldtone!  :f_laugh:

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: 28 Dec 2021 03:55PM »
My reasoning as to why (general about humans and leadership followed about observation about modern politics).

Ok, so we're pack animals/tribe creatures.  Strongest gets to the top of the tribe, and how nasty they have to be depends on the competition.

We encounter another tribe nearby, so at some point we have to look strong or even fight over the territory.  Do we get to hunt the animals and pick the berries there, or does the other tribe do it?

But if you've got what it takes to fight to the top of a tribe and fight off the rival tribe, you might be the sort of creature that wants more.

Here's where I insert my theory that most people that get to the top in politics, business, influencing activities etc. are obsessive-compulsive hoarders of power and/or wealth/assets.

So the tribes merge and grow, and the leaders compete, and over the centuries the 'networks' grow.  We tend, in this country, to talk of the 'British' empire, but if you put together, over the centuries, the empires of the intermarried royal families of UK and Europe,  there's not much of the world that wasn't part of the European Royal Empire, playing around with other people's ambitions, power, wealth etc.

And now?  Well, this country doesn't have the influence it had, but there's still all the politics of being allies or enemies with different countries round the world.  I think our 'special relationship' with America was us giving them our empire.  We've not much left to give them.

But how on earth do you climb to the top of politics in the UK?  You have to have the right connections, keep the right people happy.  I can't name a prime minister that's not done anything nasty, or possibly just turned a blind eye to nasty things.

I vote on a 'least worst' basis, and I think a lot of politicians do their politicking in a way that overlaps with that.  Compromise to keep power.

So sadly I don't expect to have a government that doesn't kill people or, at the very least, let people die unnecessarily.  At best, they keep it to the minimum they deem necessary to stay on the right side of those that might otherwise do more harm to us.  And what they might deem to be the minimum harm might actually be more than the minimum.

So for me, it's all relative. 

My big 'go berserk with the politician' trigger is where they do something that's supposed to be to promote what they want and it's not win-lose, it's lose-lose.  Like IDS's UC.  I still believe that when he came up with the vague original idea, it had potential to be win-win, getting people into work whilst cutting the budget to please the small-state capitalists.  But he couldn't be bothered to get proper research and advice and implement it, and when it turned into lose-lose, ruining people's lives whilst costing the state a fortune in extra healthcare, extra legal system costs, extra politicians' time etc. and not actually making the greedy assessment companies the level of profits and good PR they actually wanted, IDS didn't have the nous to change it.  He wouldn't even change it from lose-lose to win-lose in favour of the small-state capitalists.

Losing so someone else can win hurts enough, but losing when the person making you lose is also losing brings me to the edge of hatred.  I don't say that lightly, because I'm not actually someone that does much hating, having been brought up in the sort of toxic family that trained me to make excuses for anyone that hurt me.  But I'm capable of hating people who hurt others for no gain for themselves.

JLR2

« Reply #14 on: 29 Dec 2021 09:14PM »
"So the tribes merge and grow, and the leaders compete, and over the centuries the 'networks' grow"

Your comment there Sunny had me thinking of the red deer stags as they compete for the hinds (I think that's what you call female deer)  and as I understand things the stronger stags build up quite a big number of willing deer in their groupings.

So far as the royals go, would I be wrong in my thinking that many of the bigger wars across Europe  came about though family feuds within the royal families of Europe, including those in the UK?  As best I can mind one of the UK's royals was compelled to side with Germany and a couple of Philips cousins actually fought with the Waffen SS, one being killed on the Russian front and the other dying in a plane crash.

A wee edit to say, I well understand that with regards to the 2nd world war it came down to what Hitler and his fellow Nazis brought about, however was there absolutely nothing the royal families of that era could have done to reduce Hitler's impact on their country?

I find myself lucky in a round about way living here in the Highlands as were I to still be down in Glasgow I would have been expected to be visiting my Dad's house and in doing so putting him at risk were I to be unaware I was carrying the Covid19 virus.
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2021 09:18PM by JLR2 »