Author Topic: Covid jab  (Read 5565 times)

Fiz

• Access All Areas
Re: Covid jab
« Reply #105 on: 18 Dec 2021 12:20PM »
Ally, are you worried that the UK won't let you back in? Where were you hoping to go?

My family are dropping like flies. Dil1 has Covid so their family is isolating so they're not coming today. Dd and family are on their way but she's been in hospital only discharged yesterday so wants to take daily LFTs if she can find any in stock. I do wonder if another lockdown will happen but given the Tory revolt over people needing to take a LFT to access large venues I suspect not as Boris will prioritise remaining PM over saving lives or easing strain on the NHS.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #106 on: 18 Dec 2021 03:31PM »
It must be so incredibly difficult for people that want to get together with family but who can't or who can but decide it's not safe or appropriate.

I have a friend who lives in Scotland and who has family, four generations, scattered round Scotland and England and overseas, and is trying to work out whether, leaving aside the overseas ones who have a family (i.e. in-laws to the Scottish bits) there, they can somehow have family get-togethers, even if not all together at once.

It's one of those few times when I stop feeling sorry for myself living alone with no relatives (except one I don't get on with) to have Christmas with, and feel sorry for people with family who have dilemmas and barriers at Christmas.

Big, big, big hugs to all who are trying to salvage some family Christmas.

:big_hugs:
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ally

• Access All Areas
« Reply #107 on: 18 Dec 2021 08:48PM »
Our family live in Dubai.  We haven’t seen them for over two years and counting.   We speak on zoom, but, that’s difficult for me.  I can’t follow group conversations, and, have to prod my husband to bring me into the conversation.  I feel as though I spoil it for him.  We were going to fly out there in January, as the airports will be heaving during the Christmas travelling exodus .  However, due to omicron  we’re back pedalling. 

Dubai was in our governments  red corridor  for a long time, despite Dubai having very few cases of covid and deaths. Our son had a spinal op recently, and, isn’t allowed to sit for long periods of time, or, fly.  So, they can’t come over here.  It was going to be our family reconciliation at long last.  However, I can’t see it happening.  France has now closed its borders to the U.K., as has other countries.  Holland is in lock down due to omicron.  We could get out to Dubai, and, not get back.  Or, not get there at all.  We’d love to see them, but, could do without the covid tests, and, all the hassle to get there.  Life is never easy is it?

ally

• Access All Areas
« Reply #108 on: 18 Dec 2021 09:09PM »
Sunny it is sad when you’re alone.  However,  I always think there’s too much onus on families being together at Christmas.  The Christmas ads always show huge families hugging and kissing.   Gathered around the table heaving in food.  Lovely children opening their presents by the tree etc.  How many families have perfect Christmas’s ?  Many have Arguments over families , and, who has to be invited over for the Christmas meal.  Kids high on sugar, and, bouncing off the ceiling.  It’s all a huge fuss, and, stress for one day of the year.  The divorce rates always soar over the Christmas period.

My dad died on 21 December.  Ever since then Christmas has always made me feel miserable.  I’m always glad when the day is over.  That’s one of the reasons we’ve spent most of our Christmas’s in Dubai.  So hugs from me for anyone who feels sad or lonely over Christmas.  Remember, it’s only for one day.   :big_hugs:

Fiz

• Access All Areas
« Reply #109 on: 18 Dec 2021 09:46PM »
 :f_hug:

It's all so hard

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #110 on: 19 Dec 2021 12:11AM »
I remember my first Christmas day alone. Dad had gone in the care home.  I decided when I got up to be lazy foodwise and think proper Christmas dinner in the evening.  I visited Dad in the afternoon then went  home and it dawned on me I didn't have to have Christmas dinner.  I'd bought some Quorn turkey substitute (which I like) and a packet of ready-made stuffing (I grew up making home-made stuffing for Christmas and carried on doing it when widowed Dad was still at home) etc. 

I realised with a moment of 'freedom' that I didn't have to have 'Christmas Dinner'.  I've no idea what I ate, but it was a sort of consolation.

What I do miss is any friends that like chatting on the phone on Christmas Day.   I used to have a few but they're all gone now.   
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Access All Areas
« Reply #111 on: 19 Dec 2021 12:33PM »
I've tried to get hold of some turkey but failed so far. Weirdly I am more disappointed to be missing out on the Christmas dinner than I am about being on my own!

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #112 on: 19 Dec 2021 01:55PM »
Back to getting the booster, I got mine late last week and was taken aback by how much my arm hurt for days afterwards and how I felt even more worn out etc. To be far I have been quite brave given I was told to have no vaccinations ever except the tetanus one. I have now had AstraZeneca and Moderna. It is like a immune system upgrade  :biggrin:

Oh something else it took over two weeks to get a booking for a booster that was nearby and not in a big building with more people. I guess now it is even worse so people need to preserve more and more again.

:big_hugs: :big_hugs: :big_hugs:

I am going to Start A Christmas thread, also a thread in 3am probably.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #113 on: 19 Dec 2021 09:19PM »
I keep telling myself that pain after a jab is good because it means my immune system's noticed there are invaders and is calling out the troops, but post-jab pain and fatigue is still not welcome.

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #114 on: 13 Jan 2022 06:59PM »
I've just had a text message inviting me to have my 4th jab this weekend!
More than a bit shocked as I had an allergic reaction to the last one and was advised not to have any further jabs. I think I need to speak to the GP before deciding what to do.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #115 on: 13 Jan 2022 07:35PM »
Do they know what it was in the vaccine that caused the allergic reaction?  It can't be a common ingredient or you'd have been expecting it.

ditchdwellers

• Access All Areas
« Reply #116 on: 13 Jan 2022 08:28PM »
I have no idea. It's the only vaccines that I've ever had issues with and I already take a high daily dose of prescription antihistamines so this caused particular alarm.

Sunny Clouds

• Access All Areas
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #117 on: 13 Jan 2022 09:58PM »
Yes, allergies can be scary.

I find myself more edgy about  my atopy since my immunosuppressant meds were reduced.  Such a delicate balance.  If you'd seen me a few years back going down with one infection after another.  Now my body seems to be fighting infections but going to war with perfectly innocent things.

(I wish I'd got a big reserve stock of those meds - they've been using them to dampen cytokine storms in covid-19.)