Author Topic: Heaven only knows what'll happen  (Read 515 times)

JLR2

Heaven only knows what'll happen
« on: 10 Apr 2021 09:23PM »
When Phillip's wife dies. I half expect the BBC will go into meltdown, perhaps we'll have blank screens for a month but for a wee picture of her to haunt us in our sleep.

My immediate reaction when I heard the BBC presenter on the BBC's news channel telling us of Phillip's death was a very loud, 'Good'  one down who's next?  I'm sorry if my words offend but I've never had much time for Phillip and when I read a bit more about him, in particular his WW2 service, I didn't find any reason to change my opinion of him. I read of how Phillip was "mentioned in dispatches" sure he was for directing a battery of search lights in a naval battle against the Italian Navy in the Med, I asked myself just what is so fantastic or brave about ordering the guys to point their search light this way or that?  And if it wasn't Phillip doing this ordering it would have been any other seaman serving on the ship. Put it this way Phillip was just doing his job. What else were the Royal Navy ships going to do?  Say awe it's too dark so we'll come back in the morning when we can see what we're doing?

I had read of Phillip at the age of eighteen writing to a lassie, a thirteen year old lassie, and today I noticed a photo of his meeting this thirteen year old in some gardens, what was his problem, did females nearer his own age reject him?  Or maybe it was something to do with the fact his family had been more or less thrown out of Greece and he was, in the circles he frequented, pretty much a pauper. I guess to some extent it was a pretty good idea Phillip had, chat up a wee lassie who any other guy of his age would think of as a child and stay well clear of so far as chatting up went and engineer a relationship with a future Princess who was not from an exiled Royal family. Has me wondering now if Phillip had any other thirteen/fourteen or fifteen year olds in he might like to contact and preferably only those with financially secure families.

It might actually be something of a normal pattern of behaviour amongst Royal families, I'm sure I read of a six year old Scottish lassie being married to some King because it suited the Royal family of the time, pre 1745.

When Phillip's now widowed wife passes away the country will go into a such a lockdown Covid19 lockdowns will be looked on as good preparation, guess the only punter who'll be trying to keep that wee trace of a smile of his coupon with be Charles, perhaps it might be an idea to have an emergency resuscitation team on hand when Charles is told of his mother's passing as the shock/disbelief that he had actually lived long enough to be crowned as a King might be too much for his heart, and besides Charles having a fatal heart attack on hearing of his mother's passing would simply be too much for the BBC to cope and it would follow him with its own corporation heart attack.

Just another thought as it crosses my mind, how would any parent react to an eighteen year of man chatting up their thirteen year old daughter?  How would a parent meeting their thirteen year old daughter at the school gates react if they saw a bunch of eighteen year old guys eyeing up young second year student girls as they left school?  Was the Queen Mother happy about this exiled Greek guy chatting up her daughter?  Would the Queen Mother have been happy to leave a young daughter or grand daughter alone in the company of a, now deceased, charity/BBC presenter?  Naw I doubt she would, so why did the Queen Mother and her husband the King feel it right to have Phillip courting (to put it politely, there are other more modern terms that could be applied) their thirteen year old daughter?

Oh and another thing, yes Phillip's marriage to his wife did last seventy three years, well for one thing he was never going to divorce her, he couldn't afford to.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2021 09:46PM by JLR2 »

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Heaven only knows what'll happen
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2021 09:19AM »
A bit hesitant to respond as I too am tired of hearing and reading about his death. I was shocked at the nation's sadness because I don't feel sad when a 99 year old that I don't know has died peacefully at home without pain with family by their side. I'm not frightened of death, it's a part of life so to me this is just an event. 

That said, he and Elizabeth were clearly genuinely in love and after a marriage as long as this I do feel for her as well as for the children and grandchildren who are clearly very fond of their father and grandfather respectively. 

As for Phillip's life, his childhood was traumatic in many ways and I am sorry that he went through that. More sorry for his mother Alice who was drugged and locked in a sanatorium on the orders of her husband when Phillip was 8 and there ended her role in bringing up Phillip. I think his tough childhood made him lack empathy and he sure opened his mouth wide enough for both feet at times but I don't judge him for that because I am no saint. I hope when I am dead people don't remember stupid or unkind things that I have said in the past, I am no angel and don't judge him. I do think that he has been a devoted consort and not many men would have been as good in the role as he has been. 

Phillip met Elizabeth when she was 13 but they barely saw each other until she was 18 when he started to have feelings for her. That's when they started dating but that courtship was chaperoned so although it's unusual for a 13 year old to feel like they have found their soul mate, years later Phillip began to love Elizabeth too and I am sure that their love was genuine and enduring and I love that.

So I am not mourning and I am looking forward to not hearing about his death anymore but I do respect all the good that he did during his life and think that while he was certainly not perfect, he did far better than I could possibly have hoped to have done.

JLR2

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2021 12:10PM »
Fiz, Elizabeth was what would be termed today a vulnerable child and Philip told to stay well away from her until such times as she had reached an age where she knew a damn sight more of the world than she did as a thirteen year old.

Philip was fortunate to have arrived in England at a time when the Home Secretary was not one Pritti Patel, had he done so he could have faced incarceration in a deportation centre and facing deportation as a illegal immigrant. Any such deportation mind you would depend on just how much money he had in his bank account, Tories just love money, it's in their blood.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2021 09:59PM by JLR2 »

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2021 01:29PM »
Fiz, Elizabeth was what would be termed today a vulnerable child and Phillip told to stay well away from her until such times as she had reached an age where she knew a damn sight more of the world than she did as a thirteen year old.

Phillip was fortunate to have arrived in England at a time when the Home Secretary was not one Pritti Patel, had he done so he could have faced incarceration in a deportation centre and facing deportation as a illegal immigrant. Any such deportation mind you would depend on just how much money he had in his bank account, Tories just love money, it's in their blood.
Priti Patel would not let herself in.

JLR2

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2021 03:17PM »
True, Lankou, even she might admit that (privately of course).

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2021 09:04PM »
(Deleted what I wrote - far too grumpy in response to what someone else wrote, sorry.)
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2021 09:47PM by Sunny Clouds »
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLR2

« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2021 09:55PM »
Sunny, if the writing that has upset you was either the content or tone of what I have been talking about re-Philip and my opinion of the man I would not be concerned were the whole posting to be removed. In part I have felt given the BBC's sickening levels of coverage of Philip's death I just had to get what I have been saying out of my system.

If as I say you would rather the posting was removed please feel free to remove it.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2021 09:59PM by JLR2 »

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2021 10:20AM »
No, I didn't feel your post should be removed.  You are entitled to your opinion and I endeavoured to make that clear.  Personally, I am not happy with the amount of coverage of the Prince's death, for the sadly cynical reason that I'm always suspicious of what politicians get up to when the news is focussed so heavily on a single event.

It simply pushed buttons that with hindsight I thought it wasn't meant to, hence my deleting my post.  I was unhappy with your portrayal of what an officer does when he directs a battery of lights because I felt that it appeared to imply that he was responsible only for the materiel not the personnel, and it also seemed to underestimate the degree of responsibility held by a young man barely out of his twenties.

But I have no idea what military service you did, so maybe you experienced one officer too many who, if in charge of a battery of lights, would have seen his responsibility for the lights as not including responsibility for the personnel operating them. 

So I reacted too strongly and hence my choice to delete my post.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2021 02:29PM »
PS

:f_peacedove:

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2021 04:38PM »
Philip was fortunate to have arrived in England at a time when the Home Secretary was not one Pritti Patel, had he done so he could have faced incarceration in a deportation centre and facing deportation as a illegal immigrant.
I regard Priti Patel as foul and racist.  What I think of as a 'shut the door after her' immigrant.  It's also an attitude and behaviour I see in people who've climbed the social ladder and become snobs.  Note that I am not labelling all immigrants or all from Asian immigrant families or all people who've 'gone up in the world' this way.  But some are like that and I loathe it.

Mind you, the thing Prince Philip could have done if he were a child here today would be to get some savvy lawyers to claim British nationality on the basis of the nationality of his maternal great-grandmother.  Normally, it's grandparents' nationality that does it, but an argument for great-grandmother has been known to work, and Victoria's entitlement to British nationality doesn't seem to have been in dispute.  Well, not if you didn't want to get done for treason.

SteveX

« Reply #10 on: 12 Apr 2021 06:54PM »
I'm sad he died but because of the effect his passing will have on the Queen.  I don't give a damn about the others but I do have a place in my heart for the Queen as I believe she's done a wonderful job and her devotion to duty has been outstanding.  If I am around when she passes on, I will be very upset but as for the rest of them, I don't give a damn.
Member of POMMAS

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 12 Apr 2021 11:10PM »
It sounds as if she is understandably struggling with the loss. I think he was her sounding board during tough times and not having someone to share worries with will be a loss for her. Helpfully her children all know it's their duty now to be there for her and her children aren't far away. I admire the Queen too Steve and I really feel for her.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2021 04:47PM »
Five years between a husband and wife is fairly common. I think the coverage was excessive but it’s not every day that the Queen’s husband dies.  Philip was never considered a risk to Elizabeth other than by her doting papa who didn’t want any of his daughter growing up. The courtiers saw someone who was homeless with a mentally ill mother, playboy dad, sisters married to Nazi’s and hated him. By this time he’d been Elizabeth’s penpal for 5 years. At 13 Elizabeth was sent with her parents to Dartmouth and Philip was told to keep the princesses occupied while the adults continued their meeting so if that’s bad behaviour I hope no one has ever watched their younger cousins while the adults were busy - you’re at risk of being classed as a possible sex offender.

Okay not everyone wants a royal family but I’d rather the Queen as head of state than Boris. The problem for the media is that too much is overkill and not enough is disrespectful.

I just need to check Hansard to see what the government announced while the media was faffing about.

As they often say on the radio “different times” 
:f_peacedove: