Author Topic: Lifting restrictions by Fiz from UK site  (Read 1874 times)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Re: Lifting restrictions by Fiz from UK site
« Reply #30 on: 19 Apr 2021 10:48AM »
Blimey, I didn't realise it was as bad as that in Wales! No wonder you feel so hard done by  :big_hugs:
I don't understand how they can justify allowing tourists to  visit while putting so many restrictions on residents. You have my sympathy.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #31 on: 19 Apr 2021 02:10PM »
My son in Wales can only currently do the same as me in England. I can't wait to see him, I haven't seen him since 2019 because we were locked down when he wasn't and he was in lockkdown when I wasn't last year and there was never a window with both open to cross the border. I'm hoping to see him in June if the roadmap goes ahead. The last time I was there was for the Wales airshow which was stunning and I totally managed it despite my spine! I will definitely return another year for the airshow there. He's back at work having been furloughed but he works in hospitality so no customers yet. I have to say I spoke my mind to a friend who went to stay with her Mum in Wales during lockdown. Her opinion was the one breach wouldn't affect things but if everybody did what they liked ignoring restrictions things would be far worse. Thankfully/hopefully most people are keeping to the rules. I am.

On the edge

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: 21 Apr 2021 10:47AM »
We are the mercy of others complying despite what we do that is the issue :(

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: 22 Apr 2021 09:31PM »
You're totally right there, OtE - my concern is some people might get over-complacent due to the success of the vaccine roll-out in general (and even just the fact that they themselves might have had the jab "so we're safe now")

We'll most likely have to do the social distancing/face masks thing for quite a while yet, vaccinated or not...

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #34 on: 23 Apr 2021 09:45AM »
I agree. I am a little concerned over reports this morning that we are officially 'pandemic free'. Not sure exactly what it means, but I feel it could be misinterpreted as a green light to abandon all precautions.

That would be a grave risk in my opinion. Vaccination needs to much more complete before that should happen.

On the edge

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: 23 Apr 2021 10:47AM »
It's a concern those of us with relatives in supportive or residential care are still being unfairly discriminated against because Insurance companies and local authorities say WE (Not the general public, not covid-infected care staff!), are more a risk to them.   Since March last year, it is nearly 8 months overall since any regular visit took place, completely disrupting essential parental and family relationships and support, and adding to mental health issues as well.  Why are we being made to feel guilty and others doing what they want?

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #36 on: 23 Apr 2021 11:42AM »
OTE, I can understand your concern. I am not directly affected so I am not clear on exactly what the access rules to care home residents are at present. What I read is that the situation seems very confused. As you say the insurance companies are dictating terms although this could be an excuse for some homes to be over cautious.

My understanding of the situation is that most residents have been vaccinated with a large proportion having had both doses. That should render them reasonably safe. The problem may be that there is quite a high proportion of staff not vaccinated. Also I wonder if the homes have confidence that their testing regime is reliable enough. That possibly leads to a higher risk of introducing the virus, particularly new strains.

There does not seem to be much evidence for this happening, but given the appalling situation that existed at the begriming of the pandemic I can understand why some might be ultra cautious.

You probably have a better knowledge of the situation than I, so what do you the rules should be?

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #37 on: 23 Apr 2021 01:31PM »
Currently in England each adult care home resident can have two named visitors who each have to complete a 30 minute rapid test before entry. Wales has generally had stricter rules during Lockdown as they prioritise NHS funding differently.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #38 on: 23 Apr 2021 02:44PM »
Totally. Clothes are definitely thinner than they used to be I'm sure businesses are cashing in on people buying online and not seeing the garments!  Unfortunately I am a size larger than last year and need new clothes.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: 24 Apr 2021 09:25PM »
*cough* er Fiz, did you by chance intend to post the above on a different thread? :f_winkeye:

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #40 on: 25 Apr 2021 11:18AM »
:f_doh: :f_laugh:

On the edge

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: 25 Apr 2021 11:30AM »
OTE, I can understand your concern. I am not directly affected so I am not clear on exactly what the access rules to care home residents are at present. What I read is that the situation seems very confused. As you say the insurance companies are dictating terms although this could be an excuse for some homes to be over cautious.

My understanding of the situation is that most residents have been vaccinated with a large proportion having had both doses. That should render them reasonably safe. The problem may be that there is quite a high proportion of staff not vaccinated. Also I wonder if the homes have confidence that their testing regime is reliable enough. That possibly leads to a higher risk of introducing the virus, particularly new strains.

There does not seem to be much evidence for this happening, but given the appalling situation that existed at the begriming of the pandemic I can understand why some might be ultra cautious.

You probably have a better knowledge of the situation than I, so what do you the rules should be?

Just to give residents the same rights as anyone else.  It isn't only insurance companies but social services etc who said care homes must protect the patient/resident or THEY will sue them, this tends to restrict totally access to residents in care and those in supported accommodation who are virtually imprisoned.  Given the last 13months homes were totally vulnerable to covid too, whereas we followed very strict rules because we want our child safe, he would have been safer with us than in residential care.  If families outside can see and interact with their kids without issue OR tests, then this seems a punitive measure on the most vulnerable and those that love them. 

E.G they can now meet some residents outdoors and unsupervised they have no way of ensuring that means there is zero or even low risk.  It's complete chaos and a failure to understand the guidelines, goodness knows we had it hammered into us day in and day out, did they not take in anything themselves?  Just a blanket ban on everything to be 'safe' and, it didn't work did it?

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #42 on: 02 May 2021 12:04PM »
My church was starting services today and I had booked a space to go. Then I received a church email yesterday talking about keeping 2 metre distances and for some reason that caused a panic attack. I had thought that as we are masked 1 metre was okay but the 2 metres would make it difficult to hear each other in a busy room with others talking. Plus they're not putting chairs in a row, they're placing chairs either singular, two together or more as needed by people according to household/bubble size so my chair would be a lone chair on it's own and I am worried I will feel like a leper or Billy no mates. Plus despite being masked it's against the law to sing so we have to just listen. In the end all the anxieties about distancing was just too much and I didn't go. The restrictions are just not lifted enough right now for me to feel able to go to church. Roll on June 21st when all legal restrictions cease.

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #43 on: 07 May 2021 06:27PM »
Hello Old Tone

I live in a supported living house for people with brain injurer's + a male member of staff use's my beard trimmer to cut my hair free of charge + do's a good job. Yesterday I got my 2nd jab of A.Z so I think I'm safe but still wear my face mask if I go on the bus or in a shop + practice keeping my distance

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #44 on: 08 May 2021 11:28AM »
In England its still the law to wear a face mask on public transport and in shops etc. Don't know the position in Scotland but I think its still wise.

I must get off by backside and get my hair cut as this morning in the supermarket a chap was blocking my way and apologised saying "Sorry dear". I think he may of thought I was an old lady! :f_doh: